Philip Kaufman

Started by aclockworkjj, April 04, 2003, 03:18:57 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: MacGuffinTell the women kissing trend to the audience that was with me when I saw "The Hours".

It didn't go over so well?....
Miramax didn't exactly promote that aspect.

"Oh my God!" "Everyone's kissing in this movie." Waves of groans, gasps and Ewwww's.

Quote from: aclockworkjjWell, I really could careless to see a scene like that or not, but with society as well as films, it's just becoming trendy to be bi, or have a lesbo scene (to the point where it's kinda getting old, sure the shock value was great at first, but it's so common now, it gets old quick)...and for the stink that was created over Henry & June, I don't think today people would think anything of it.  Cruel Intentions (As well as let's not forget that remarkable kissing scene in Not Another Teen Movie) felt the need to put a girl-girl kissing scene...gimme a break!  I am not hating....but see my point?

But Henry & June wasn't rated NC-17 for a lesbian kiss. It had extreme nudity and sexuality.

And JJ, I understand what you are saying, but my point with "The Hours" was that it is still not widely accepted to the point where people wouldn't think anything of it. In fact, yesterday there was a huge uproar because a soap opera included a scene of two women kissing. So, yes, it's becoming "hip and trendy", but it is still controversial.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinbut it is still controversial.

True dat.

Cecil

Quote from: P™
Quote from: cbrad4dspeaking of capri pants,... if i wore them back home i'd get my ass kicked

Quote from: cbrad4drightfully so.

i saw a guy wearing capri pants in the metro the other day. i guess its becoming fashionable up here in montreal.

godardian

Quote from: someone
Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: MacGuffinTell the women kissing trend to the audience that was with me when I saw "The Hours".

It didn't go over so well?....
Miramax didn't exactly promote that aspect.

"Oh my God!" "Everyone's kissing in this movie." Waves of groans, gasps and Ewwww's.

Quote from: aclockworkjjWell, I really could careless to see a scene like that or not, but with society as well as films, it's just becoming trendy to be bi, or have a lesbo scene (to the point where it's kinda getting old, sure the shock value was great at first, but it's so common now, it gets old quick)...and for the stink that was created over Henry & June, I don't think today people would think anything of it.  Cruel Intentions (As well as let's not forget that remarkable kissing scene in Not Another Teen Movie) felt the need to put a girl-girl kissing scene...gimme a break!  I am not hating....but see my point?

But Henry & June wasn't rated NC-17 for a lesbian kiss. It had extreme nudity and sexuality.

And JJ, I understand what you are saying, but my point with "The Hours" was that it is still not widely accepted to the point where people wouldn't think anything of it. In fact, yesterday there was a huge uproar because a soap opera included a scene of two women kissing. So, yes, it's becoming "hip and trendy", but it is still controversial.
[/quote]

Yeah, you really get your eyes opened when you think society's so enlightened and then you go see a movie that contains a same-sex kiss (let alone anything else).

Before someone says something like "it gets old quick," though, they should consider this: Despite the apparent perception on the part of the media and much of showbiz that being gay is a "lifestyle," as if sexual orientation is something you buy at your local Pottery Barn, there are people in real life who kiss those of the same sex because their emotional and physical feelings compel them to do so; the extreme majority of these instances are not in any way for novelty or to be trendy. Why can't a kiss between two people in a movie just be a kiss between two people in a movie? Movies like Mulholland Dr. and shows like Six Feet Under have been much more grown-up than most by not trying to make these kisses huge events, but just depicting them as kisses between two people, no more, no less. It shouldn't shock anyone by now, but just because the shock value is gone, I don't think that means it's time to consign that part of the world's reality to the dustbin because it's "gotten old."

If that person meant that the cases where these things are depicted and it feels contrived, like they were just looking for an excuse to put that same-sex kiss in there, I share that opinion- kissing and romance between any and all genders in movies can seem really phony and shoehorned in- and I apologize for misconstruing what you said. However, that hardly applies to The Hours. [/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

I liked Henry and June and loved The Unbearable Lightness of Being, BTW... never saw The Right Stuff, didn't much care for Quills, though Winslet is always worth watching...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Hollywood plans biopic about 'Rebel Without a Cause' director

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - "The Right Stuff" filmmaker Philip Kaufman is to make a biopic about the life of one of Hollywood's legendary sons, "Rebel Without a Cause" director Nicholas Ray, the entertainment press said.

Kaufman has signed on to direct "I Was Interrupted," a movie based on Ray's memoir of the same name, according to industry bible "Daily Variety".

The film will focus on the last 10 years of the rebellious director's turbulent life, notably on his relationship with teenager Susan Schwartz, who eventually became his wife.

No start date for production has been set and no actors have yet been cast to star in the movie that tells of Ray's battles with drugs, alcohol and the Hollywood establishment, Variety said.

"It's really about how a legendary figure in America reinvents himself," said Danny Fisher, one of the co-producers of the film.

After making "Rebel Without a Cause," starring James Dean and Natalie Wood, Ray, a bisexual and heavy user of drugs and alcohol, found himself shut out of mainstream Hollywood in the early 1960s.

Kaufman last directed "Twisted" with Ashley Judd and was also the man behind the 2000 drama "Quills," starring Geoffrey Rush and Kate Winslet and the 1988 classic "The Unbearable Lightness of Being," based on the novel by Milan Kundera.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

I don't know that I would be interested in seeing a film of this.  Reading his autobiography, sure, but after the countless quasi-celeb biopics over the years with bisexual, substance abusing, and/or pedophile artist subjects, do we need another one?   Lewis Carroll would be more interesting in that case.

MacGuffin

Strathairn in program for "Challenger"

Oscar nominee David Strathairn is set to star in "Challenger," a drama about a Nobel laureate's investigation into the 1986 explosion of the space shuttle.

Philip Kaufman, who explored the U.S. space program in 1983's "The Right Stuff" will direct the project for independent producer Media 8 Entertainment Inc. .

Strathairn, who received an Oscar nomination this year for his portrayal of newsman Edward R. Murrow in "Good Night, and Good Luck," will play Richard Feynman. The noted physicist, whose probe was motivated in part by his participation in the Manhattan Project, sought to ensure that there was no institutional cover-up of the negligence that led to the Challenger tragedy.

Skeleton FilmWorks