I made a gender bending bank robbery short film

Started by pete, October 06, 2017, 01:33:18 PM

lorenscope

Awesome teaser. Impressive and really well made.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

- Buster Keaton

velociraptor

Pete, this teaser is WONDERFUL. Holy shit, this genuinely made my entire morning. Her performance, staying on the one shot of her in the car, jeeeeeez. I'm inspired. Thank you for sharing this.

pete

thanks Raptor. the film had a few lingering shots like that. hope I get to share it sooner rather than later!
- Buster Keaton

pete

hey psst just for you Imma share the film here don't spread it

https://vimeo.com/233684059
pw lobstercoloredmanchild

- Buster Keaton

jenkins

first of all the handwriting joke is hilarious. that was a first thing i felt. then when she was driving out, it was the sunlight on her face that really touched me. and i found myself being pulled toward this woman, which continued through the rest of the short, leaving behind what's called an "indelible" impression. like she is in my gut now.

pete

thanks Jenkins. I've just been commissioned to make a bunch more of these things to stay tuned.
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

That was extremely well done. There's no question you know where to put the camera and what to do with it while it's there, and you've always had a knack for showcasing whatever's visually interesting about your locations, but I'm most impressed with the character work. Every character feels lived in and complex, even down to the bit parts like the bartender at the bowling alley. I'm hyped for what's next.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

hey cats - this is going live on vimeo tomorrow, a year after our little sundance debut.
here are a couple of options for the video cover - thoughts? also the left part of the frame has to fit in a staff pick icon.

- Buster Keaton

Drenk

Ascension.

WorldForgot

I like 3 and 4, but I think 3 is the better/unique character shot.

Sleepless

Just to be extra helpful, I like 3 and 4 too, but I'd also throw 5 into the mix.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

ok it's on vimeo staff pick today! and I decided to play with the aspect ratio since the film was shot both in anamorphic and spherical - so even if you've seen it pretend you haven't.

https://vimeo.com/312878741

here is an article from No Film School about it:

https://nofilmschool.com/short-bank-robber-shot-missi-pyle
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

Absolutely fantastic! Will be sharing this far and wide. This is really something to be proud of, man.

Checked out the NoFilmSchool article and found it very informative, but some general questions:

You said this was culled from a larger story/script - can we assume this will eventually find its way into the proverbial can, sooner rather than later?

How did you find producers/funding for this project? What process or processes were undertaken to get to the point of being in a position to so ably assemble such a crew, and with such a short schedule? How did you build this family?

If these questions have been answered elsewhere to my ignorance please forgive me.  :)

Again, amazing work, sir.