League of Extraordinary Fuckos!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, July 09, 2003, 12:45:53 AM

Ghostboy

I'm not expecting to like it much at all. I'll see it and hope for the best, but I don't have much confidence in it. I really really wish they'd stayed true to graphic novel. Also, I'd like to remake From Hell someday and retain the brilliant portrayal of William Gull from the comic. Which reminds me that I have something I want to post in the Mason thread.

modage

yeah its true that they dont have a clue how to market it, (is it LXG, or The League, or The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen?)  but, i think thats just the problem that it's competing in a heavily heavily fucking crowded summer with 16 other sequels, comic book/video game movies, and things with built in audiences.  LXG is not a graphic novel that many people are aware of, and they are going to have to try like hell to convince anyone to spend their money on this, instead of the fucking 1000 other super actionadventure flicks out there this summer.  the previews have been okay, but i am looking forward to seeing it soon.  i've heard positive and negative word of mouth, so i'll see for myself.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

blu

this was pointed out to me by someone else, but i think it is damn funny.  if you go to the website and look at the trailer, when peta wilson is introduced it just shows her breasts.

....PETA WILSON (boing)(boing)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/lxg/spots/fireinthehole_320x240.html

har har har har aye!

Sal

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Jeez... are you sure you don't work for Fox?

Nick

It's rare for me to get as excited as I did about a film like that.  The trailers couldn't sell it, and I knew it'd be different from the comic, so I hoped for the best and got much more than that.

Ghostboy

Hmmmm. I thought the movie was a whole load of dumb and often awful crap, but I guess that's just me.

Ravi

Damn, why don't I find out about these graphic novels until a movie adaptation is made?  I didn't know "From Hell" was a GN until a friend showed it to me a few months back, and I hadn't even heard of the LXG one.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviDamn, why don't I find out about these graphic novels until a movie adaptation is made?  I didn't know "From Hell" was a GN until a friend showed it to me a few months back, and I hadn't even heard of the LXG one.

"Road To Perdition" was one too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Ghost World too, by the way.

I just saw LXG, not too disapointed, since I wasn't expecting anything. I knew they would butcher the graphic novel, and they did, so I was not shocked in anyway. Decent action movie, better than T3 in many ways. Still, Alan Moore should be more demanding when he sells his stuff, like requesting a director that did not direct Blade and a scenario writer that has at least one decent movie in his résumé.

Pozer

SHAFTR

I wanted to like this movie, I really wanted to...but...I just couldn't.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: GhostboyHmmmm. I thought the movie was a whole load of dumb and often awful crap, but I guess that's just me.

I just saw it and I agree fully... the concept was great, the characters had potential, the time period is one i love to see movies about, but it just didn't click with me.

Nick

modage

just got back from a league/badboys2 double feature, (cause i'm po!)  so, lets see.  i liked both.  but didnt love either.  i loved the characters in league, and such great source material to work from, i loved the look of it, the special effects were good.  the designs were cool.  shane wests character did bug me a little bit, (okay, A LOT. but i could deal with it).  i even loved the opening 30 minutes or so. the first two action sequences (in africa, and in dorian grays place), i thought were great.  i was really excited for the rest of it.  but somewhere through the middle the story got a bit lost on me, and then some of the rest seemed forced.  but, i think maybe now, that i know what it is, i could rewatch it and maybe like it even better.  i would give it a B-.  may not be anyone elses taste, but i get jazzed up at some of these things.  basically, this movie is not going to convince anyone who doesnt want to see it, of otherwise.  but if it seems like something you'll like, you probably will.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

I just saw an ad quoting : "Connery saves the day !"

Isn't that like admitting your movie is bad, but Connery is not ?! Those fuckos...

MacGuffin

This film is really not that bad. In fact, it could have been saved. I had a problem with the editing. The action scenes were cut too quick that it disoriented and distracted from what was going one. And being that there were five of them, it would get you into one character then cut away. There were also some bad lines of dialogue. Overall it was enjoyable, but not much to think about afterwards.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The DVD release is set for December 2nd according to Showbizz.