Jars of Clay

Started by Finn, July 16, 2004, 09:40:29 PM

Finn

I think this is a good group. I really liked the Much Afraid and If I Left the Zoo albums. Good cover art too. :wink:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

I think they're good to...

...for triggering my gag reflex.  :wink:

Sleuth

JESUS CHRIST A JARS OF CLAY THREAD
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

I was once given a Jars of Clay / DC Talk combo birthday present...

it was a joke, but not a funny one.

pete

I think Jars of Clay is really good, not just "For a Christian band" either, I like their sounds and their harmony, and the idea of spirituality in their lyrics is pretty sophisticated.  I think they get unfairly lumped because of the nation's knee-jerk reflex to the word "Christian rock", recently strenghtened by, ironically, non-Christian bands like Creed.
Seriously, I always slip them in into people's mixes, and people are always really surprised when they find out it was Jars of Clay.  Their sound has always been ahead of everyone else too, by like a few years.  But I haven't been following them anymore so they might've gotten trendy, not the last time I checked though.
And DC Talk, while their lyrics were super cheesy, their music and vocals were pretty sophisticated as well.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

i do give jars of clay props for doing the Christian rock thing......that usually means no money........bu tthey stuck with it and made some money .i kno wthat they arent as popular as they use to be ....bu ttheyr are still rocking in Jesus name so thats cool........

this brings me to another point......besides all the 1, 284,675 to hate creed here is another...........when i first heard of them way baxck in the day.i at first thought it was pear jam......then when i found out it wasnt pearl jam but creed i was mad b/c they ripped off pearl jams sound ....then i found out that they were a chrsitian band and this led me to at least be happy that they are spreading to "word" via pseudo-grunge sound....but once they got real popular they were being interviewed and creed then told the guy interviewing him that "oh, were not a Christian band"......so, as you can see after that remark then the downfall as  they broke up some time later........ and no more creed....the Lord works in mysterious ways........

be true to your roots kids ..never sell out..............

Film Student

Quote from: RegularKarateI was once given a Jars of Clay / DC Talk combo birthday present...

it was a joke, but not a funny one.

HA!

That's funny.  I was once given a DC Talk/Petra combo christmas present, and it WASN'T a joke, but it was funny...

Anyone remember Petra?  Prob'ly not...

RE: Jars of Clay

I recently put their first CD in again after probably five years of not having listened to it, and I was surprised to find that I kind of enjoyed several songs.  Definitely a cheeze factor, but there were a few tracks that I still genuinely enjoyed.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

tpfkabi

i went through a time recently where i listened to several of their records.
i like their last one. it's pretty stripped down with acoustic guitar and piano. Haseltine's lyrics are great and it appears he is quite the intellectual. for this last record, he said he was listening to a lot of Jonny CAsh (before he died). Ken Coomer (with Wilco until Summerteeth) played drums on a few of the songs.

i think it's pretty cool they they have recorded their last few albums in their own studio in one of the member's house. i think they even make their own EPK's and artwork. i remember that Apple had a feature about their recording setup on their website.

i think my favorite song of theirs is Sad Clown. check it out if you can and tell me what you think.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.