Siouxsie Sioux/The Banshees/The Creatures

Started by godardian, March 12, 2004, 01:52:54 PM

godardian

Tomorrow, I'm going to buy tickets to Siouxsie in Seattle in May- I've seen her twice before, once on the Banshees tour for The Rapture in '95, one of the best shows of my life and a great year for shows overall, and also with The Creatures and John Cale in '98.

This new tour is supposed to be a career-spanning retrospective-type deal, so it should be cool. She's always been excellent live, as you can hear on the Nocturne album (when Robert Smith joined the Banshees that one year). I don't care for the latter-day Siouxsie the Goth-Disco Queen image she has, which is completely unfair and doesn't do their music, much of which is completely indispensable, justice in the least. But the music remains. Some classic, brilliant albums. Cutoff point at '84, but then The Creatures have had some good ones amidst all the technobabble. Hai! is a real return to form in many ways.

Any other fans/people going to see this tour? Looks like lots of California and Texas shows.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mogwai

Vile5

i've only heard Superstition, i like Kiss them for me, so i'm an ignorant, i guess :(
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

godardian

Quote from: Vile5i've only heard Superstition, i like Kiss them for me, so i'm an ignorant, i guess :(

Oh, I wouldn't put it so harshly. But if you get a chance, you should definiteily check out some of the other stuff.

I want to know who voted for The Scream.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Mesh

Quote from: godardian

Dunno, but I just 2nded it.  That's the only album I've heard besides Superstition.  I own those two, as well as the Once Upon a Time comp.

I begin to think I've missed the good stuff, because of what I've heard, the OUAT singles are the best.  The Scream is anti-catchy and a tough listen, whereas Superstition is basically "Kiss Them For Me" surrounded by half-pretty boredom.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: godardian

Dunno, but I just 2nded it.  That's the only album I've heard besides Superstition.  I own those two, as well as the Once Upon a Time comp.

I begin to think I've missed the good stuff, because of what I've heard, the OUAT singles are the best.  The Scream is anti-catchy and a tough listen, whereas Superstition is basically "Kiss Them For Me" surrounded by half-pretty boredom.

Your perception is exactly right. Kaleidoscope (1980), Juju (1981), and Once Upon a Time: The Singles (1981), plus The Creatures' A Bestiary Of are "the essentials."