Make a living in LA

Started by zerocool41, September 20, 2005, 07:47:49 PM

zerocool41

How realistic is it to make a living working on movie sets every day in Los Angeles doing whatever...?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

ono

polkablues

If your plan is to move to LA from someplace else and try to make your living there, my advice to be to amass as much professional experience as you can before you make the move.  Indie films, commercials, music videos, anywhere you can get on set, do it.  Not only will you have a body of experience to show to future potential employers, the people you meet working on these projects will be instrumental in landing you jobs once you hit LA.

It's a bit of a cliche, but it's true nonetheless; in the film industry, the most important thing is the quality of your contacts.  That and showing up on time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

Not realistic at all if you have no background (pretty much what polka said).   And surely stay away from hellaye if your plan is to come out here and make it.  Do it DGG style all the way.

matt35mm

Quote from: POZER!Do it DGG style all the way.
I like this as a banner quotation.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: POZER!Do it DGG style all the way.
I like this as a banner quotation.
You don't love us, you
just love our DGG style.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

I just can't imagine a higher certification of movie nerdiness that you would know what DGG means.  At least, I don't know anybody outside of Xixax that would know what it means.  The majority of passers-by to Xixax wouldn't understand it.  Yeah, that'll show 'em who knows their stuff.  Knowing that people would get frustrated over what "DGG Style" means would entertain me.

Pozer

But see not really.  True movie nerdiness certification to me would be the use of a term like Tarantino or Scorsese style.

matt35mm

Quote from: POZER!But see not really.  True movie nerdiness certification to me would be the use of a term like Tarantino or Scorsese style.
True.  Tarantino and Scorsese ARE cinema.  I think everyone should make more movies like them.

killafilm

Quote from: polkablues on September 20, 2005, 09:25:29 PM
...my advice to be to amass as much professional experience as you can before you make the move.  Indie films, commercials, music videos, anywhere you can get on set, do it.  Not only will you have a body of experience to show to future potential employers, the people you meet working on these projects will be instrumental in landing you jobs once you hit LA.

It's a bit of a cliche, but it's true nonetheless; in the film industry, the most important thing is the quality of your contacts.  That and showing up on time.

Having a lot of professional experience is key.  But your contacts back from wherever will more than likely lead you to nothing.  People might look at your resume but that seems to be about it.  My only "real" paid work in 5 months out here has been PA work that I got through a semi friend from high schools brothers girlfriend, who is a PC for a production company. 

And what do you mean by 'whatever?' It's going to be way way easier to land paid PA work opposed to paid camera/grip/electric work. 

polkablues

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  First, you say that contacts aren't that important, and then prove your point by saying that the only paid work you've gotten has been through a friend of a friend.

And secondly, I don't understand your question.  I didn't say "whatever" anywhere in there, so I don't know how to answer what I meant by it.

But, soldiering on as though I follow your point, the upside of having those contacts from outside LA is that a lot of people you meet and work with will either be making the move to LA themselves, and you can scratch each others' backs, or they'll know people in LA, and can help you get your foot in the door.

And the real key, of course, is in whatever jobs you do get, be impressive.  Work your ass off, even if it's an unpaid PA gig.  Every single person you're on set with is a prospective future employer, and that time on set with them is likely the only job interview you're ever going to get.  People like hiring people they like working with, so if you can achieve that, your phone will be ringing enough that you'll hardly have to search out work again.

Reinhold

Quote from: POZER! on November 02, 2005, 09:00:43 PM
Not realistic at all if you have no background (pretty much what polka said).   And surely stay away from hellaye if your plan is to come out here and make it.  Do it DGG style all the way.

snoop DGG?

----

and cine, i think he was referring to zerocool's whatever from the first post.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

Quote from: Bob Loblaw on December 02, 2005, 07:43:36 PM
and cine, i think he was referring to zerocool's whatever from the first post.

I think you're right... but I'm not cine.

Is there something confusing in the water in this thread?

modage

if all else fails you can always get work as Matt Damon's stand in.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: Bob Loblaw on December 02, 2005, 07:43:36 PM
Quote from: POZER! on November 02, 2005, 09:00:43 PM

snoop DGG?
yes, that was the joke i made a month ago.
under the paving stones.