Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

European Son

Anyone else think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is brilliant? Sure you do. I saw them live a few days ago, and the YHF songs didn't translate that well to the stage since it's such a studio heavy album. I'd like for them to get back into the studio and record a new record, but they're going to be touring this summer and opening for R.E.M. this fall. Oh well.

Ghostboy

It was one of my favorite albums of last year, for sure. 'I Am Trying To Break Your Heart' was a great documentary, too. It was great to see them playing earlier versions of the songs, as they evolved.

modage

fucking fantastic. best record all of last year.  i saw them playing the YHF songs last year and the previous (before the record came out they toured with the new songs since they had been dropped from their label) and really enjoyed them live.  summer teeth had previously been one of my favorite albums of all time but then YHF took them in a direction i couldnt have anticipated and now love them more than ever.  I AM TRYING TO BREAK YOUR HEART is an incredible music documentary for any body who hasnt seen it.  as for a new album, you can download (for free mp3) their new EP "More Like The Moon" off their website www.wilcoworld.net for free if you have YHF.  it includes an alternate version of kamera and a few songs recorded with YHF and since.  very cool.  has anyone else heard the outtakes from the record?  they are pretty incredible.  a few months after it came out i received about 21 songs (previously unreleased and alternate takes) of songs recorded during the YHF sessions and i think some of them are really incredible.  im interested to hear?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

hows the documentary on wilco -- anyone seen it?
...your excuses are your own...

European Son

Quote from: cowboykurtishows the documentary on wilco -- anyone seen it?
Yeah I have it on DVD. It's very interesting, not straying much from usual rock band documentaries. You get stuff like the recording of the album, touring, record company politics. Sam Jones did a wonderful job on it. I'm glad it was made if just for the fact that it gives us a document of the making of a record that was an instant classic. If you're even a casual Wilco fan you should watch it.

modage

yeah, i recommended the documentary to a friend who was in film school, but had never listened to wilco and he went to see it and ended up loving it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

moonshiner

Quote from: GhostboyIt was great to see them playing earlier versions of the songs, as they evolved.

I would love to have the earlier versions in their entirety....this is an album with so much weight that i've had it since it came out, and haven't had a true appreciation of it 'til now....can't wait to see what they do next.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

modage

i agree. i liked the album when it came out but i think it wasnt really until recently that i truly appreciated how incredible it is.  i have 3 alternate versions of kamera alone plus a whole disc of alt. takes/versions and unused cuts.  the movie and the outtakes are really companion pieces to the album.  together they really give you a good idea of the whole process that made yhf so great.  has anyone else heard any of these outtakes?

NOT FOR THE SEASON
ALONE
NOTHING UP MY SLEEVE
VENUS STOP THE TRAIN
RHYTHM
WONT LET YOU DOWN
UNTITLED INSTRUMENTAL #1 & #2

or any of the alt. versions of album songs?  
what does everybody think of the new EP?

European Son

Anyone else concerned about the future of Wilco without Jay Bennett in the band? Well, I wouldn't say concerned......more like bummed. I know that Jeff is more than capable of handling the songwriting by himself, but Jay was a pretty major contributor. I guess we'll find out when the next album is released.

pete

heavy metal drummer is so peppy and heartbreaking at the same time.  not many songs are like that anymore.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sigur Rós

I would love to love this band, but somehow I can't. I like their music, but  I can't stand listening to it.....wierd.... :?

Mesh

Quote from: themodernage02i agree. i liked the album when it came out but i think it wasnt really until recently that i truly appreciated how incredible it is.  i have 3 alternate versions of kamera alone plus a whole disc of alt. takes/versions and unused cuts.  the movie and the outtakes are really companion pieces to the album.  together they really give you a good idea of the whole process that made yhf so great.  has anyone else heard any of these outtakes?

NOT FOR THE SEASON
ALONE
NOTHING UP MY SLEEVE
VENUS STOP THE TRAIN
RHYTHM
WONT LET YOU DOWN
UNTITLED INSTRUMENTAL #1 & #2

or any of the alt. versions of album songs?  
what does everybody think of the new EP?

You need to own this:

One of the songs, "Laminated Cats" I think, is an alternate, Loose Fur version of "Not for the Season."  Also, there are a few songs here sung by YHF's mixer/producer Jim O'Rourke.  Wild, experimental, excellent stuff.

modage

yeah i actually have that.  its a little more experimental than i like, but its good.  (prefer wilco though).  but i did see the wilco/sonic youth tour about a week ago and jim o rourke came out with wilco and they played "laminated cat", (which is the really weird version of "not for the season").  it was pretty neat.

European Son

Rolling Stone reports that the new Wilco album is due this Spring.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19058

modage

i cant wait.  i NEED this record.