Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Thanks, I had to go to Chicago the day after the show on business and guess what just happened to be across from the hotel where the conference was?
I only had time to take the picture, didn't get a chance to sneak in.

btw... the show was completely amazing.
The opening act was a complete bore, but once Wilco came on, it was pure magic.

The first handfull of songs are kind of a blur because I was so amazed that I was seeing Wilco again.  I was pretty close, but not so close that it hurt... it was about ten of us there and we were all really excited and we were able to find a spot all together so we could predict next songs, etc...

I had told myself that I wouldn't take a moment to piss until after either Jesus Etc... or At Least That's What You Said and about five songs or so in, they played ALTWYS so afterwards, I went to the porta (during War on War since that's not my favorite) and while I was headed back, they started Jesus Etc... which sucked because that's like one of my wife's and my songs, but after that the whole concert clicked like no other.  I was so into every single song... even the ones that I don't normally enjoy as much.  I wasn't disapointed with any of the songs they played as long as they just kept playing... and they did for quite some time.

anyway, great concert.

Reinhold

nothing new here... just wanted to say again how much i love Being There.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Quote from: permanent username on May 14, 2005, 05:47:45 PM
i've been listening to Being There a lot lately. it's a good album.
apparently a good album that just keeps getting better!  i have huge hopes for wilcos next album. agib was not my favorite wilco incarnation so hopefully wherever they move will be someplace awesome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

Quote from: modage on February 15, 2006, 07:09:08 PM
Quote from: permanent username on May 14, 2005, 05:47:45 PM
i've been listening to Being There a lot lately. it's a good album.
apparently a good album that just keeps getting better!  i have huge hopes for wilcos next album. agib was not my favorite wilco incarnation so hopefully wherever they move will be someplace awesome.

"The Lonley 1" is the greatest song...but so is every song from that album. If Wilco keeps the live incarnation that they have now...then this new album will fucking rule, lately they've been playing a couple of songs, "Walken" and "On and On and On" at their live shows so, if either of those end up on the new lp...or the rest of the album sounds anything remotely like that...its going to be Yankee Hotel/summerteeth great!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

if anyone can point me in the direction of a live version of any new songs (like the ones you just mentioned) that would be awesome.  i'd like to hear 'em.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

oddly enough, Being There was listed in this weeks' Best Buy sales paper.

the via chicago board is a good place to look, mod.
www.viachicago.org
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

I Love a Magician

I'm seeing Wilco in Nashville next month. I am going to be very !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if they play Handshake Drugs, Via Chicago, or At Least That's What You said.

tpfkabi

my friends got balcony tics i believe.
are you tired of hearing those songs live?

I Love a Magician

I've never seen them so I'm not tired of anything. I'm going to be excited if they play those songs.

squints

Quote from: I Love a Magician on February 15, 2006, 10:07:53 PM
I'm seeing Wilco in Nashville next month. I am going to be very !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if they play Handshake Drugs, Via Chicago, or At Least That's What You said.

They will

tpfkabi

viachicago has a very detailed gigography, so you can start checking that to see what they're playing. i bet there's a very good chance they'll play all three of those, unless they've just totally revamped their setlist. i'm ready to hear some Loose Fur. not much longer. probably leaked somewhere. anyone heard it?

I Love a Magician

I just got back from seeing Wilco in Nashville and hot damn, Wilco is a fucking good band. Logan said something about them seeming kind of bad or boring live on that I Am Trying to Break Your Heart documentary, and that's true. But that's almost a completely different band. It's still the core three guys (Jeff Tweedy, Glen Kotch, John Bass Player) but they've also added a new keyboard player, another guy who plays keyboard and guitar, and Nels Cline. Nels Cline is the coolest guitar player I have ever seen in my life ever and holy shit he was so awesome omg. Jeff Tweedy's actually really good at the guitar too! There were about three new songs played and I'm really excited about this new album, because all three songs were great. Especially Walken. It's not like, a big step forward or anything, but it's a really fun, groovin' rock song.

Highlights!

- Jeff Tweedy's guitar solo on Hell is Chrome.
- At Least That's What You Said and Sunken Treasure puttin' tears in this old bear's eyes!
- Spiders was so fucking perfect. I love that it's such an unruly sounding song and there's just weird, crazy stuff going on all over the place, but the changes were all done perfectly and were really rockin'.
- During the little call and response breakdown of Kingpin, Jeff stopped to explain to us what to do and exactly why we were doing it. When he would say, "How can I?" we were to respond by screaming. He explained that we were screaming to cleanse our bodies of bile or something or other. It was a ridiculous reason but I sure did have a good time hollerin'.
- For the last encore (of three), Jeff Tweedy came to the front of the stage and sang Acuff Rose (an Uncle Tupelo song) acoustic and without the mic, so of course everyone was as quiet as possible and it was perfect and I love The Tweed.

It's tough for me to say that this show was better than the Devendra Banhart show I saw a few months back, but I think it was. The Devendra show was incredibly intimate, but god damn. Fuckin' Wilco. So as of right now my top three shows ever are:

1. Wilco, Ryman Auditorium in Nashvile, 3-17-06
2. Devendra Banhart, Exit-In in Nashville, October of 2005.
3. Ryan Adams, Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, November of 2004.

Here's a setlist I nabbed from viachicago.org that looks about right:

Sunken Treasure
Mountain Bed
Airline To Heaven
At My Window Sad and Lonely
Forget The Flowers
When the Roses Bloom Again
California Stars
Muzzle of Bees
Hell is Chrome
Spiders
Jesus Etc
Walken
Handshake Drugs
I am Trying to Break Your Heart
Shot in the Arm
At Least That's What You Said
Late Greats

Encore 1
Hummingbird
Either Way (new song)
Theologians
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Kingpin

Encore 2
Passenger Side
War on War

Encore 3
Acuff Rose - Jeff acoustic unplugged

Reinhold

incredible. good for you.

i recently acquired AM. hot damn. for anyone who hasn't heard it, it's a lot more folky than their other stuff-- and it's fantastic.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

Tweedy to put out dvd chronicling his solo pacific northwest tour entitled "Sunken Treasure"

Trailers: