Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

life_boy

I suggest starting in the middle (Being There or Summerteeth) and then working your way through the other stuff.  I started at Being There and it was still a difficult beginning.  I then got A.M. but haven't really begun to enjoy it until just recently.  Now I see the greatness in each album...I don't really have a set favorite (although Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is probably the masterpiece), I have favorites at different times.  There's so much good stuff there, even on A.M., the album newer Wilco fans (YHF and post-YHF Wilco fans) don't seem to want to get into (I have a number of friends who love Wilco  but won't even pick up A.M.).  Tweedy's songwriting -- lyrics and melodies -- are so good: direct, honest, insightful, poetic, sometimes ironic but always worth hearing.  It's on A.M.; it's on A ghost is born.  

To help the process of "getting" or "getting into" Wilco, I would suggest seeing the film I Am Trying to Break Your Heart and making it to a Wilco show if they come around.  I Am Trying... really helped me appreciate Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and seeing Wilco live a couple of days ago has really given me a new appreciation of A ghost is born.  Sometimes it really does help to hear the songs in a little different context than the album.

I wouldn't suggest The Wilco Book to anyone who wasn't already a fan with a pretty good knowledge and appreciation for Wilco's songs and artistic process.  That said, I really enjoy it.

NEON MERCURY

i am a casual fan and here is my two cents.

i like YHF the most. its the masterpeice. nothings gonna eclipse it.  then i like being there next.  i love the sound of that bitch. its raw and acoustic-like.  far, far away is beautiful.  just really good chilln shit.  then AGIB is next for me.  its good.  really good. but falls short IMO compared to the other two mentioned.  i use to own summeer teeth.  and its kind of cheesy.  and too poppy.  all the songs sound alike.  if you like the rembrants(i'll be there for you song) then you will love summer teeth.

i need to listen to a.m.
and uncle tuepeoloouoji

modage

summerteeth is my second favorite and holds a special place as it was the album that introduced me to them in 1999.  its only 1/2 poppy.  shes a jar, we're just friends, pieholden suite, how to fight lonliness, via chicago, my darling, and in a future age are all pretty dark and not poppy at all.  (which is literally 7 of 14, half the album).  but, really i think its when the band turned a corner artistically and especially with jeffs lyrics getting more from a storytelling point of view like "i dreamed about killing you again last night and it felt alright to me" - pretty dark stuff.  and it doesnt really sound like any of their other albums so i appreciate the wilcopop of it.  i'm seeing them for the 6th (and maybe 7th) time on wednesday (and maybe thursday) this week.  we'll see what they're like this time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

yeah, you got a point there.  i forgot via chicago(that is really good).
and i didnt mean to be like "oh, if its dark and depressing then its cool/good", "if its poppy then its fake/ghetto"  i hope i dont come off like that.   :?    but i guess i am just venting because after i heard YHF which i thought was brilliant in every way, i got amped up and bought summer teeth and was let down.

modage

give it another go.  i took a long time for YHF to overtake that as my favorite wilco album.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

summerteeth cheesy?
i couldn't possibly disagree more.
how to fight loneliness is very special to me.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Quote from: themodernage02WILCO BONUS DISC PLANS  
Wilco and Nonesuch will be re-releasing A Ghost in Born in Europe with a 5-track bonus disc in conjunction with the band's March tour. For those of you who already own a copy of the CD, It will also be available as an "enhanced content" free download. Meaning you'll be able to access the download only with the CD in your computer drive.

The tracks will also be available for purchase via iTunes for anyone who does not own the physical CD.

The track listing:

-Panthers
-At Least That What You Said (live)
-The Late Greats (live)
-Handshake Drugs (live)
-Kicking Television

All three live tracks are from the band's October 2004 show at the Orpheum Theater in Madison, Wisconsin. The two studio tracks are from the Ghost album sessions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
wilco rule, because they actually care about not ripping us off.
5 song EP available for free download today.  just pop in your cd and click on the egg for 'enhanced content'.  if you dont have the cd, you can pay for the songs on iTunes: 2 AGIB outtakes and 3 live songs.

Reinhold

i've been listening to Being There a lot lately. it's a good album.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

Wilco is my favorite band. They have been for the past couple of years. I started with Yankee Hotel....then i saw I am Trying to Break your heart, that Sam Jones documentary. I didn't look any further into their catalog until a friend of mine bought Being There. Now Summerteeth is my favorite...sort of. Its impossible for me to name a favorite, but i don't like A.M. as i'm sure most fans don't. But i just recently saw their show in Oklahoma City and i will be a wilco fan until the day i die. They were incredible. Anyone who's ever said that they're a slow depressing band MUST see them live. Hands down the best concert I've ever been to in my short existence. They rocked the house in every way possible. Spiders(kidsmoke) from a ghost is born was the highlight of the evening while Nels Cline (their latest touring guitar player) stole the show by vamping up every one of the staples and adding some much needed cock to the tracks from A Ghost is Born (Kingpin and the Late Greats were especially surprising) The motherfuckers played THREE Encores, i've been to a lot of shows and unless its panic, cheese, phish, or the dead i don't even expect one encore. I can not wait for this live dvd/cd to come out and i'm going to do everything in my power to see Tweedy and company again ASAP.

PS. I'm so glad Wilco's thread and Sufjan Stevens's thread are at the top of the list, you guys have impeccable tastes in music
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Slick Shoes

Uh, so I just got my introduction to Wilco last week when I bought Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot simultaneously. I think they're both pretty great. I really liked YHF right off the bat. Summerteeth was a little harder for me to get into, which is sort of weird considering it's the poppier of the two. Anyway, I love them both. Next, I think I'm gonna get the newest one, or perhaps Being There.

Reinhold

i got YHF and Being There at the same time. i think both are absolutely amazing.

welcome to the club.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

tpfkabi

i'm glad you're getting into Wilco, they're one of my favorites.
i don't know about buying all the albums so fast though.
it's not really giving you a chance to judge them by themselves.
if you like YHF, you might look into Loose Fur as well.
if you are interested i will tell you more.

Slick Shoes

Quote from: bigideasi don't know about buying all the albums so fast though.
it's not really giving you a chance to judge them by themselves.
It's funny you should say that because that that is exactly what I have been thinking the past couple of days. It's a lot to absorb at once.

Quote from: bigideasif you are interested i will tell you more.
Please do.

tpfkabi

Loose Fur is a trio comprised of Jeff Tweedy, Glen Kotche and Jim O'Rourke. i don't know how much you know about the band so:
Tweedy - lead singer of Wilco
Kotche - Wilco drummer
O'Rourke - producer of YHF and AGIB

i think another album is in the works.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fmex97idkrjt

modage

wilco is probably my favorite band but i have never gotten into loose fur.  its just too jammy for me, but maybe if you like that kind of thing.  i wouldnt recommend it for wilco fans neccesarily.