Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

clerkguy23

the new cd is absolutely amazing. definitely my favorite wilco album. 'hell is chrome,' 'hummingbird,' 'handshake drugs,' 'company in my back,' and 'i'm a wheel' are all fucking great. and somehow jeff tweedy manages to come up with better lyrics with each cd. except i think 'i am trying to break your heart' best lyrics of all time. has anyone heard his cd with jim o' rourke called 'loose fur'? its really great as well. it seems like the perfect transition between yankee hotel foxtrot and a ghost is born.

tpfkabi

i finally heard Loose Fur about a month ago.
i like it......the instrumental parts go on a bit long (was this preparing us for the end of Less Than you Think?) but still very good..........that hen scratch guitar on track 3 is really grating.
i guess you know there is another Loose Fur album coming out sometime soon.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

has anyone gotten the Wilco Book?
(or is it even out yet?)

modage

yeah i got it.  it came out a month or two ago.  books neat, songs are more like sketches not finished outtakes like the yhf or summerteeth bootlegs.  so that was a little disappointing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Hmm I gave this band a try, I don't dig it. The guitar parts, particularly the 'solos' are so sloppy and random, not good music in my book. There are some songs with a bass/drum beat repeating for minutes on end. And it's too quiet, where's the energy? Quiet music can still have energy. The album I'm referring to, btw, is A Ghost is Born
WWPTAD?

Sleuth

I find a lot of energy in those sloppy solos, especially that first track.  I'm not entirely sold on them either though.
I like to hug dogs

modage

thats because your working backwards.  AGIB is probably the hardest album to 'get into'.  you should start with Being There and work forward.  (particularly SummerTeeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot).  you can see the band as its much more conventional beginnings get progressively weirder and more experimental.  the new album doesnt really sound like anything before it although it does have a handful of great songs.  i would liken it to someone picking up the latest radiohead without hearing how they got there.  you may like it, but if you dont you should try listening to earlier stuff and working your way there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Dammit, now I have to listen to more Wilco...bleh. But ok, I will try it, maybe
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

i am a big fan of Wilco, but i don't listen to AGIB that much. it's not bad, but definitely not their best.

listen to summerteeth.

RegularKarate

AGIB is their second best, but you can't listen to it first.

Once you're into them, though, you'll wish you had never publicly dogged the solos... the first track on AGIB is one of the most passionate solos ever recorded in the history of music.  It blows me away that something so sloppy could be so amazing and full of feeling.

I started with AM, but I didn't get into them until Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, so you may want to give that a try.

AGIB is most definitely not the place to start.

modage

WILCO BONUS DISC PLANS  
Wilco and Nonesuch will be re-releasing A Ghost in Born in Europe with a 5-track bonus disc in conjunction with the band's March tour. For those of you who already own a copy of the CD, It will also be available as an "enhanced content" free download. Meaning you'll be able to access the download only with the CD in your computer drive.

The tracks will also be available for purchase via iTunes for anyone who does not own the physical CD.

The track listing:

-Panthers
-At Least That What You Said (live)
-The Late Greats (live)
-Handshake Drugs (live)
-Kicking Television

All three live tracks are from the band's October 2004 show at the Orpheum Theater in Madison, Wisconsin. The two studio tracks are from the Ghost album sessions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
wilco rule, because they actually care about not ripping us off.

tpfkabi

i knew about the European release, but had not heard that they will offer it free if you have the CD (like with YHF and the More Like the Moon EP).
this is confirmed?

modage

yes, its from their official site.

meatball

I listened to A Ghost is Born first and I like it more than Yankee Hotel Fox Trot. Maybe you just have to like their music or not. I'm not a believer in "warming up" to things.

modage

well, i still say you're going at it backwards.  think radiohead.  you're starting at the end, the weird experimentation.  it goes down much easier if you know where they've been.  summerteeth and being there are clues to where theyre going but dont sound ANYTHING like the newer albums.  it also took me more than a year for yhf to become my favorite album over summerteeth.  i got it when it leaked listened to it for a long time, stopped, the album came out and i started listening to it again, saw them live a few times forgot about it, THEN when i dug it out for a few spins i realized i liked it best.