Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

bigperm

I have everything from this band. (From Live whatnot to demos, etc.)They are my favs. I do have the acoustic I.A.T.T.B.Y.H. form the film and as well as a live version that is even better. Feel free to ask.

The new album is wonderful and still kicking my ass. I recommend it to all, but IMO it is a mandatory 5 solid listens before passing true judgement. Be patient with it, if you don't dig it already.
Safe As Milk

modage

saw wilco for the 4th time last week.  god, i LOVE this band.  and every time i see them they've mutated into some completely other band.  (besides switching out a few band members), just the whole vibe of each show is so different than any of the previous ones.  they did tons off the new album, only 1 off AM, 1 off Being There, a few off Summerteeth and a few more off YHF.  jeff tweedy looked like a wild animal with his hair all long and a full suit on.  the highlight of the show is when they played hummingbird and he didnt play an instrument.  (!)  it was great, i couldnt believe it.  if anyone else has a chance to see them on this tour; do.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i forgot they were on tour.
did they play Spiders like it is on the album?
that would be interesting.

oh, i just visited their site and they're playing Letterman this Wed(16th).
about what time should i set my recorder for? i usually go to bed before the late night talk shows are over.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Quote from: bigideasi forgot they were on tour.
did they play Spiders like it is on the album?
that would be interesting.
yeah they did.  my only complaint actually is they played 1 or 2 too many instrumental freakout 9 minute songs, but other than that it was great.  they actually played   spiders  (along with a handful of the new songs) when they went on tour with sonic youth last summer.  also, if you didnt know they have 6 guys in the band/on stage now, which is quite a change from 4.  it SOUNDED great at the 9:30 club because it wasnt so loud it distorted everything.  you could hear every vocal, guitar, noise perfectly.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i wondered if they've played any new post AGIB songs since they've been playing most of those for a while. it appears the setlist from the 12th is on the front page of their site.........they're still playing Kicking Television.........i wish that would have made the album.......i imagine they will make it available in the future somehow

bigperm

Kicking television is available, if you buy the "import" from amazon. If you pre-order the cd form Amazon, you get a stream of it including Kicking Television. It's nothing compared to the live version but there you go.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00020H8WQ/qid=1087221947/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/104-3765275-6930302?v=glance&s=music
Safe As Milk

tpfkabi

oh really. so there is a studio version?
i already have a good live version, so there's no way i'll be paying over double for just one song.......but thanks for answering my question =)

Ghostboy

I've been listening to a ghost is born pretty much nonstop since I picked it up yesterday, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. The thing that strikes me the most about it is how Tweedy's pop sensibilities and his ability to write amazing songs are not what makes this album so good...the more traditional pieces, like Muzzle of Bees or Hummingbird, are the ones that get left in the dust by the vastly deconstructed expanses of most of the other tracks (Less Than You Think being the most obvious example), where what were probably normal songs at one point get pushed and prodded to experimental heights (or depths, depending on your point of view, but I'm saying heights). It's a progression of the same process you see in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, where the YHF songs we see them playing are in a much more traditional form than their eventual album versions.

moonshiner

i've been loving this album.....very difficult to compare A Ghost is Born to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot though, to me Ghost is a lot more personal, raw effort than their previous works, not as strong lyrically but the instrument speak a little more in this one.....the consistency of the guitar effects creates an original sounding bluesy record, with the aforementioned pop sensibilities making it a very easy, nice listen, although seemingly an afterthought in the creation of this album

Tweedy's voice is also more of an instrument than ever in this one, emotive, almost ready to crack in several songs......YHF is a tough act to follow, even moreso since YHF followed Summer Teeth, but this album has a niche of its own, its sincerity, it's emotion, it's stretched guitar workouts, and still all there for a reason; time will tell where it lands among the three
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

tpfkabi

i've had a burned copy for a while, but i finally listened to the real deal all the way through today at work........it is a great album.......i don't think it's as cohesive as any of their other albums.......i imagine it will get some bad reviews just because reviewers will be taken back by a 10 min + song as track 3 and then a 15 min song later.......i think if they recorded Spiders like it was live, the album would get better praise......buttttt, i think they probably did it Neu! style because they had lived with it for so long.......so why not deconstruct it?.....it is THEIR song after all............when i listened before, i skipped Hell is Chrome, thinking it was Wilco on cruise control, but for some reason it's the one i want to listen to most right now.

is the studio version of Kicking Television online anywhere?

Ghostboy

It just gets better and better. The louder I turn it up, the better it gets (especially in regards to Less Than You Think). The only one I don't really love is Spiders (Kidsmoke), but it's growing on me. I'd like to hear the earlier versions of it.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bigpermI recommend it to all, but IMO it is a mandatory 5 solid listens before passing true judgement. Be patient with it, if you don't dig it already.

....well, i gave it perms 5 solid listens rule and its phucking brilliant.....
and since im feeling good ...ill give you track by track opinions

1.]at least thats what you said-i love the typical start a song slow then crank it up..and jam.the 2:00 mark is bliss ...........just phucking rock n roll...don there that much anymore.........so its refreshing.......

2.]hell is chrome-this is just a good lazy sing along song ......lyrics are funny in an onomotopeia/metaphorical way.........

3.]spiders <kidsmoke>-love it......the loop is catchy and i like the surprising jam in the middle...

4.]muzzle of bees- :sleeping:

5.]hummingbird- awesome ..reminds me of the beatles white album style..

6.]hanshake drugs-best song title  i have heard in a while....the song itself is great.goog melody.it reminds me of wilco s attempt at remaking lou reeds <im waiting for my man>

7.]wishful thinking- :sleeping:

8.]company on my back-a great standard ditty...

9.]im a wheel- the last three songs are great this is just a fun song.....

10.]theologians-....MY FAVORITE TRACK.......seems like leftover foxtrot....

11.]less than you think- :kiss:

12.]the late greats-great closer.......humorous......

all in all i like foxtrot the best...... but AGIB rocks.and like ghostboy said......play this bitch loud

modage

Quote from: bigpermKicking television is available, if you buy the "import" from amazon.
its also available now on iTunes BUT only if you buy the whole album for 9.99.  you cant buy the song individually.  DAMNIT!  i need to get this song, so if anyone comes across it please send me a PM.  until then ill keep scouring Soulseek.

Quote from: GhostboyIt just gets better and better.
yes it does.  my girlfriend was hesitant at first because of how wildly different it is, but i think it clicked with her recently (although we've had the damn thing for 3 months).  who knew they could get weirder than YHF, which seems positively catchy now in retrospect!
Quote from: NEON MERCURY7.]wishful thinking- :sleeping:
8.]company on my back-a great standard ditty...
i like wishful thinking, its actually one of my favorites.  hummingbird i thought was a little boring until i saw them do it live and then it became one of the album standouts for me.  i dont know WHO company in my back would be standard for, but it sounds weird as hell to me! (although its also one of my favorites).

wilco are my favorite band, did i mention that?

moonshiner

Quote from: themodernage02who knew they could get weirder than YHF, which seems positively catchy now in retrospect!

to me, this album is a quicker study than YHF because this album is not so tightly crafted.....the sounds they're creating may be more strange, but i guess the reason it comes off as an easier listen is because there aren't as many layers to the production...it's more like listening to a concert, as the band members have alluded to

everything about this album feels right, make two brilliant records, go through some hardship with the band, come to terms with addiction, then lay down the next one with a little soul and emotion, a raw and brilliant flexing of their musicianship

i'm a cherry ghost
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

bigperm

Good to see you kids digging the vibe that is Wilco. Now if everyone would simply come around on Dirty South Gangsta Rap, all would be right.
Safe As Milk