Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

myadopteddaughter

I moved from the midwest to atlanta last summer, I hitch hiked most of the way. (No need to panic, I had my trusty pepper spray.) Anyway, one of the nice fellows who drove me down was listening to a Wilco CD. I had never heard of them before, but loved them instantly. He told me who they were and one of the first things I did with my first paycheck was buy their album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
Wilco was a good omen, as I see it now.

Anyway, I must ask this question of all Wilco fans: which do you prefer, Mermaid Avenue or Mermaid Avenue Volume II?
I personally prefer Volume II.
mmm, mmmm good

modage

Greetings from London, where Wilco are mastering their forthcoming
album.

That next record (or should we say "cd"?) is now entitled "A ghost is
born"
and will, if the schedule holds, be released by Nonesuch in North
America on June 8 and their affiliated labels virtually everywhere else
in the world that same week.The track listing is as follows:

At least that's what you said
Hell is
Chrome
Spiders (kidsmoke)
Muzzle of Bees
Hummingbird
Handshake drugs

Company in my back
I'm a wheel
Wishful thinking
Late greats
Theologians
Less than you think

More "album" info soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

European Son

Hate the album title, love the song titles, love the band

bigperm

I've heard "A Ghost is Born". I'm a long time fan of Tweedy back to Uncle Tupelo, and consider Being There, Summerteeth, and YHF all great albums.  A ghost is Born is great.
Safe As Milk

modage

Quote from: bigpermI've heard "A Ghost is Born". I'm a long time fan of Tweedy back to Uncle Tupelo, and consider Being There, Summerteeth, and YHF all great albums.  A ghost is Born is great.
OH MY GOD, i dont know how i can thank you bigperm.  i'm listening to it now, and it is INCREDIBLE.  like, THE BEST THING EVER (for me atleast).  i never would have thought to look for it already, the damn thing doesnt come out till june. i wouldnt have thought it had leaked already.  so, for anyone else interested, THE ALBUM HAS LEAKED.  album art here..

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

did you d/l it through Soul Seek?
Soul Seek just doesn't seem to work well for people with 56k, so i haven't heard it yet. hopefully someone will put the mp3's on a webpage somewhere soon.
where did you find the cover art?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

yeah i have soulseek and got it there.  although i cant seem to find the last 'hidden' track "the late greats" because everyone has a goddamn live version mislabeled.  the album art i found at the nonesuch records site, and had not seen it before.

Bethie

I only own Being There but that alone is enough to kick my ass. AM, Summer Teeth, and YFH are on my list of cds to buy.
who likes movies anyway

bigperm

FYI, "A Ghost is Born" is now streaming over at www.wilcoworld.net
Safe As Milk

Bethie

Cool.

I bought Summerteeth a couple days ago. It's tight.
who likes movies anyway

moonshiner

i have to see this band this time around.....their new stuff i going to be great live, i love....i'm predicting the critics will be a little less responsive to its Crazy Horse-like meandering, than the art-pop perfection of YHF

i, for one, will not compare, just bask in the glory of Wilco's ever-evolving sound...Jeff Tweedy is a genius, i have to believe the absence of Jay Bennett on this record allowed Jeff to be more focused, their just can't be two heads leading a band
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

El Duderino

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is fantastic.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

Quote from: moonshineri have to see this band this time around.....their new stuff i going to be great live, i love....i'm predicting the critics will be a little less responsive to its Crazy Horse-like meandering, than the art-pop perfection of YHF

i, for one, will not compare, just bask in the glory of Wilco's ever-evolving sound...Jeff Tweedy is a genius, i have to believe the absence of Jay Bennett on this record allowed Jeff to be more focused, their just can't be two heads leading a band
me too. its weird, because although i doubt it'd be my favorite album i really am not complaining because i'm just so glad to have it and see whereever the hell they're going to.

moonshiner

mod age_a while back you said you had a bunch of outtake versions from YHF....are some of the different cuts the ones used in the documentary? and how did you get these?

do you agree with the Jay Bennett thing? there didn't seem to be much resistance from the rest of the band?
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

modage

yeah i have a whole disc of their studio demos for YHF (i think its 21 tracks of either unreleased songs for YHF or alternate/early versions of the songs on the album).  i also have a similar (but shorter) one for Summer Teeth that i just found on Soulseek.  the YHF one was sent to me by a friend a few years ago who got it from a friend.  (i have no idea).  its amazing though.  none of the songs are taken from the doc, i can only assume wilcos personal studio tapes leaked, and unfortunately does not include a acoustic version of i am trying to break your heart like the one at the beginning of the film (which i would LOVE to have a full version of).