Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

Raikus

Too much.

(... the clouds will blow away...)
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Neil

I am writing a paper on tweedy, and I've checked a few search engines trying tons of different variations...anyone know any good cites that have bio info, or maybe a site that's all wilco info?

I need pretty much whatever i can get, the paper in strictly informative

I'm sure this is frowned upon here, but any suggestions?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

modage

that's a great book.  read it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

yeah i'd say that's the best source for wilco info from tweedy's youth to uncle tupelo to a ghost is born. its a quick read and it goes great with jim derogotis's "staring into sound" flaming lips book.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

just glancing through it i've formed a larger outline...thanks, any helpful websites, like imdb style that would do such a thing for music?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

squints

wilcobase.com has a list of every show they've played. I'm sure if you're looking for their recordings they would'nt be too hard to find on any torrent site.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cinemanarchist

If you can't be in Chicago right now you can catch Wilco live from Lollapalooza at:
http://attblueroom.com/music/Lollapalooza-Music-Festival/live-webcast.php

My assholeness knows no bounds.

tpfkabi

any thoughts on the new DVD?

i don't have it yet.

i tend not to go back to live documents audio or video like i do studio albums, but audio even less.

the Jeff Tweedy DVD was nice though and I Am Trying to Sue* Your Heart.

*you'll get this if you've read the news.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

john

I get it, too.

I got the new DVD yesterday. It's pretty decent. I don't imagine I will watch it a lot, but it is still very well done. Very similar to the Tweedy DVD and, just like that DVD, you can download MP3s of all the songs perform... which, along with the film,  totally makes it worth the purchase.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

tpfkabi

I've listened to (The Album) a few times now.
I think I really dig the first half or so, but don't care too much for Country Disappeared or Sonny Feeling.
It's really nice hearing Tweedy's voice doubletracked on Solitaire and Bull Black Nova is amazing.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ono

^^

Black Bull Nova IS amazing.  That was my favorite song when I was listening to that album.

Almost 5 years since anyone has cared.  Wow.

They had a new album a couple years ago that no one seemed to care about (though it was decent), Tweedy had a guest spot on Parks and Recreation, and now he's joined up with his son for a band called Sukierae.  So at least they'll win the award for worst name for a new band in 2014.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55526-jeff-tweedy-performs-12-new-songs-with-new-band-featuring-son-spencer/

I like Wilco when they rock or are experimental, but whenever he does the slower stuff, he tends to put me to sleep.  Which can be good or bad.

This forum has been pretty dead for the past year or so, leaving me to wonder if anyone musics anymore.

Lottery

I musics every damn day.

Wilco is a band which I overall appreciate but I prefer watching live videos of them. God, I wanna see them live. They have a great lineup currently, especially with Nels Cline who is one of the best guitarists alive right now. I feel like Tweedy should step back on the albums and let the others contribute more heavily in the writing, you'll probably get something really special out of that.

Fantastic performance here:

squints

Quote from: squints on May 15, 2005, 04:57:46 AM
But i just recently saw their show in Oklahoma City and i will be a wilco fan until the day i die. They were incredible. Anyone who's ever said that they're a slow depressing band MUST see them live. Hands down the best concert I've ever been to in my short existence. They rocked the house in every way possible. Spiders(kidsmoke) from a ghost is born was the highlight of the evening while Nels Cline (their latest touring guitar player) stole the show by vamping up every one of the staples and adding some much needed cock to the tracks from A Ghost is Born (Kingpin and the Late Greats were especially surprising)

HA! This was 9 years ago.

Still one of the best shows I've ever seen. (Tom Waits will always be No. 1)

Also, I was a giant tool in 2005.