Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

MacGuffin

Alien Remake Talk
It's enough to make your chest burst.

It's one thing to remake, redo, reboot, or whatever you want to call it a genre picture like Friday the 13th or even Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but when you start to get into the realm of the truly great films, then the question must be asked: Why even bother?

That's the subject on many horror/sci-fi fans' minds today with the word coming that Ridley Scott's classic Alien may be up for the redux treatment over at Fox. Blood Disgusting is reporting that one of their insider tipsters -- the same person who correctly predicted the Predator remake -- has told the site that an Alien remake is in the works and that "the plan is to stick with the original concept of only one alien on the ship."

Ridley Scott would produce along with Michael Costigan and Tony Scott, while commercial director Carl Rinsch is named as the director on the project.

This, of course, is all rumor at this point, and in fact BD subsequently updated its report with word from a "separate reliable source" that Fox is "possibly working on an origins story, as opposed to a straight-up remake." So it seems that at the very least something is brewing in xenomorph land over at Fox, and it isn't another Alien Vs. Predator sequel.

Next up: remakes of Citizen Kane, The Godfather, and 2001.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

NO! JUST FUCKING NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! STOP! STOP! STOP! SOMEONE KILL THE SCOTT BROTHERS!!!!!!! FUCKING KILL THEM! SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE BEFORE THIS HAPPENS! BURY THEM ALIVE! BURN THEM SO TEHY CANT BE REANIMATED!!!!! NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! DIE DIE DIE!!!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

i feel that is the appropriate response to everything posted in the last 18 pages.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Jesus Christ on a Crutch.....This is disappointing.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

polkablues

More proof that Fox is basically Hollywood's fuck-up uncle.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

Quote from: squints on May 28, 2009, 03:44:36 PM
i feel that is the appropriate response to everything posted in the last 18 pages.

Yes. It's really out of hand now. They remake anything, anytime. Nobody seems to care. Next we'll see remakes of movies made only a few years ago. Its retarded.

picolas

Quote from: kal on May 28, 2009, 08:20:48 PMNext we'll see remakes of movies made only a few years ago. Its retarded.

i don't know how they can possibly make Alien new/better, but i'm not going to poo-poo the idea until i see some evidence it'll actually suck. this is SUCH a vague idea right now. and it's not like they're bringing in michael bay or anything. i wish it the best.

Pas

Stefen

The only way I get behind the remake is if Chris Cunningham does it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: Pas Rap on May 28, 2009, 09:57:19 PM
How is a Alien remake not a Alien sequel ?

Because they have so little creativity that its worse than a sequel. A sequel would mean putting thought into a continuation of the story, the characters, etc. It would still suck terribly bad, but it requires some creativity to write something new.

The remake on the other hand is using the same fucking script and everything and just make the explosions bigger, the dialogue less interesting, and put some hot new star to draw audiences and thats it.

And Vanilla Sky is not what I meant, because that is a remake of a foreign film, which makes a bit more sense. The Departed was also a remake and was not bad, and there very few other examples like that. With remakes for old films, there is almost zero cases where the new film has been equal or better than the original.

picolas

it's not automatically a bad idea. it's just prone to badness because the idea to remake is usually money-motivated. but great remakes happen. there are plenty.

Kal

Quote from: picolas on May 29, 2009, 12:35:15 AM
it's not automatically a bad idea. it's just prone to badness because the idea to remake is usually money-motivated. but great remakes happen. there are plenty.

Like which ones? I think there may be a few, but the great majority are crap.

polkablues

The Thing, Cape Fear, Ocean's Eleven, Dawn of the Dead, 12 Monkeys, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Bourne Identity, 3:10 to Yuma, The Ring, Nosferatu, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Last of the Mohicans, Insomnia, The End of the Affair, Traffic...

Granted, that's only a handful, and even some of those are questionable.  But certainly "remake" is not automatically a curse word.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

maybe two of the films you listed were "great" remakes.  the others were just movies that were kinda fun.  whether or not a lot of them were remakes was also questionable - since a good number of them were based on books.  bottomline DON'T DEFEND THE REMAKES.  we'll eat our own words if we're wrong but dude, fucking, it's an awful trend.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on May 29, 2009, 01:43:30 AM
The Thing, Cape Fear, Ocean's Eleven, Dawn of the Dead, 12 Monkeys, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Bourne Identity, 3:10 to Yuma, The Ring, Nosferatu, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Last of the Mohicans, Insomnia, The End of the Affair, Traffic...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks