Twin Peaks: Season 2 (Uhh. I'm tired of waiting for the DVD)

Started by Myxo, July 02, 2003, 01:01:18 PM

penfold0101

Those crazy internet kids have started an online petition to get an edition relesed thats as good as the first, sign it here if you think it will do any good!
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

phil marlowe

Quote from: penfold0101Those crazy internet kids have started an online petition to get an edition relesed thats as good as the first, sign it here if you think it will do any good!
yeah, i signed it and i made a buch of my friends do it too, people under presure can do such crazy things.

MacGuffin

According to Moviehole, Paramount in Australia are planning to release the second season of “Twin Peaks” in two separate sets in October and November next year. Dugpa got in contact with the studio too, and discovered the same. “Today I have confirmed that Paramount plans on releasing Twin Peaks Season 2 on DVD in 2004. They are currently targeting a September 2004 release. I have also learned that they intend on asking Lynch to be involved with this release and are planning on meeting with him early in the New Year. Keep in mind that they are in the very early stages of pulling together all the elements and finding what they have as far as for the extras they can produce. They will also be working again with Universal for distribution to other territories.”
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD, Where Art Thou?
Source: Lynchnet

It's been two years now since the release of Artisan's Twin Peaks Season 1 DVD set, and the question on everyone's mind is, where's season 2? The good news is that most countries outside the US will be getting it in September of 2004. The bad news is that no US release is in sight. Why is that you're probably asking? In recent months there have been various news reports in which Artisan has claimed that they either don't have the rights any more or that the first season didn't sell enough to warrant season 2. Neither of these is true. Artisan's deal for the Spelling/Republic library (which includes Peaks) doesn't run out until September of 2005, and the Peaks box set was a fairly good seller for them, only bested by large blockbuster titles such as Terminator 2. So why haven't they really gotten around to season 2 yet? I've spent the last month or so looking into this, including talking with a couple of sources inside Artisan. The answer, sadly, boils down to petty corporate rivalry between Artisan and Paramount.

Paramount's parent company, Viacom, owned 80% of Spelling Entertainment in the late '90s due to a 1994 purchase of Blockbuster Entertainment. At the time, Spelling was showing huge losses and Paramount was trying to unload the unprofitable division. Thus they made the licensing deal with Artisan in 1998, figuring the catalog wasn't worth much. Then things changed in 1999. Spelling Entertainment underwent a dramatic restructuring that caused the company to start turning a profit, and suddenly Paramount started paying more attention. Instead of trying to dump Spelling, they purchased the remaining 20% to gain full ownership of the company and officially merged it into Viacom's family. Around the same time, dvd sales really took off, and before you knew it, home entertainment companies were eager to exploit their catalogs for titles to release on the hot dvd format. That library that Spelling let Artisan have cheap was now worth so much more.

So here's the interesting question to ask: Why has Artisan done so little to exploit the Spelling/Republic catalog, when every other home entertainment company is scrambling to dig into their back catalog for new dvd releases? The Spelling deal gives them the rights to over 6,300 films, yet to date they've only released about 30, most of which are just re-issues of the pre-licensing deal Republic discs. The answer once again, is Paramount. Because Paramount owns Spelling/Republic, they own all the source prints and negatives to every film and tv show licensed by Artisan (aside from prints have found their way into the hands of collectors). And Paramount doesn't like to share. Like most large entertainment corporations, they protect their assets fiercely once they deem them to have value, and would rather do nothing with them than let go of them cheaply for another company to profit off of. We already saw this in Paramount's refusal to license the Peaks pilot (which wasn't covered in the Spelling deal) at a reasonable price to Artisan for the first season set. With this new huge DVD market to be exploited, Paramount knew it had value, and they weren't going to let go of it easily. So we lost out on getting a US release of the pilot with the season 1 set. Now something similar is happening with season 2, and all the Spelling/Republic titles for that matter. The licensing deal Artisan has gives them the rights to release the titles, but it doesn't guarantee them access to the source materials to make new masters from. Paramount owns those, and they are doing everything they can to make it difficult for Artisan to get a hold of them to make new dvd masters from. Artisan has older existing masters for much of the catalog, but most were done for VHS releases and don't live up to the quality expected for dvd releases. New hi-def masters have to be made for dvd releases. In most cases, Paramount is either asking huge unreasonable fees for access to the source materials, or outright refusing to let Artisan have them. Artisan is a small company without deep pockets, so they have to watch carefully how much they spend on a disc. At the prices Paramount is asking, in most cases they just can't justify spending the money for new transfers (and of course if Paramount refuses outright they're stuck even more). That leaves them with two options: release sub-par discs that they know people will complain about and not accept, or not release the title at all. Artisan has opted for the latter.

So what this all means, is that we'll probably never see a release of Twin Peaks season 2 here in the US until after September of 2005, unless Paramount suddenly has a change of heart. The good news is that since Paramount is already doing new masters for the European and Asian discs, they'll have them done and can quickly churn out the discs once they re-acquire control of the Spelling library. The other wild card in all this is Lion's Gate, who now own Artisan. They're a bit more agressive with their home video releases and may decide it's worth spending the extra money to bring out some of the Spelling/Republic titles. Though given Paramount's lack of cooperation, I'd say it's a long shot at best. Most likely if you want to see Twin Peaks season 2 on dvd, you'll have to either import a copy from another region late next year, or wait until after September 2005 for a US release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

.....that sucks for us region 1-ers...there is no way i would want ti import the second season....because i don't believe the quality and axtras will be up to par as artisan did season one region one...that set was immaculate....

i'll rent season 2....and tapes still ...and wait till 2005......

MacGuffin

Twin Peaks Season 2 Article Posted at Lynchnet - Worldwide Release?!!

Mike Dunn over at Lynchnet.com has posted an interesting article (see below) on the release of Twin Peaks Season 2, citing that the delay may be attributed to Paramount waiting to do a worldwide release (US Included) of Season 2 when the rights revert back to Paramount in September 2005. This is good news for US and somewhat more of a delay to the rest of the world that were told that Season 2 would be released Q2 2005. It still may, come out in Q2, but it would make sense for them to try and time them to avoid loss of sales to those importing the DVD from overseas. One other bit of news yet to be confirmed is that Paramount will be using the original negatives to do the transfer for Season 2. This would be quite a shame if they didn't match the Season 1 transfer quality after this incredibly long wait for the fans.

QuoteTwin Peaks Season 2 DVD update

It's almost the end of 2004 and the big question everyone is asking is, what's up with Season Two of Twin Peaks on dvd? Well, here's the latest. Our sources within Paramount say it's almost a sure thing that you'll see Season Two, as well as a re-release of Season One with the Pilot included, released by Paramount as soon as the rights revert back to them around September 2005. The current rights holder, Lion's Gate (formally Artisan) has no plans to further exploit Twin Peaks or any of it's Spelling Entertainment titles due to the short time frame they have before the rights are lost. So it's all up to Paramount now. Our sources also tell us that part of the reason for the delay of Season Two in other international regions is to have one big release worldwide around the same time in every country, US included. So for you folks overseas, you're also being affected by the rights issue here in the US. The other, though somewhat lesser reason for the delay is to allow more time to work on bonus features. But Paramount is committed to TV on dvd in a big way, and is eager to exploit all the Spelling holdings once they get the rights back, Twin Peaks and Beverly Hills 90210 being the first two they are planning on releasing. Keep in mind that none of this constitutes an official announcment, so these plans are always subject to change. But it looks like there's a good chance we'll finally get to see Season Two on dvd in 2005.

Also:

MK2 Still In Talks With Lynch for a 2005 FWWM Collectors DVD Release

It seems that as before, MK2 has been getting lots of support from the fans to release FWWM on DVD with Deleted Scenes. Dugpa.net has gotten word back from MK2 that they are in fact trying to meet with Lynch once more in hopes to come to an agreement, and will be pushing their 2 Disc Collectors DVD of FWWM back to 2005. They will in fact still be releasing a single disc version in December of the film with a 5.1 English and French audio mix. In speaking with MK2, they sounded optimistic to explore every possibility. You may continue to send letters of support to: editions@mk2.com.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

There is a good chance that as soon as Neon sees the post above he will be screaming with utter joy. As I just did now.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

GREAT.  hopefully they can put together some better extras on season two or maybe add some more to season one.  it will suck to re-buy it, but i only paid 20 bucks for it in the first place and it will be worth it to have the pilot on dvd with it.  this also means i will be holding off on FWWM for the possible two disc, hopefully we'll get that hour back.   :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SiliasRubyThere is a good chance that as soon as Neon sees the post above he will be screaming with utter joy. As I just did now.

you bet.

if/when its completed all i ask is that the quality is up to par w/ season one.  it feels great knowing that i can stop renting those tapes from hollywood video and have it on dvd.  i agree w/ mod-age abou tthe extras.  continue the commentaries and i hope the presentation of the extras are laid ou tbetter than the season one set.  its a neat idea but its confusing to phuck around w/ that sh*t.

as for FWWM....it seem like MK2 really wants to do it.. i am not sure of the whole scenario but as far as i know the hold up is that lynch wants to do them but if/when he does he wants the scenes scored and shot w/ the same high quality as the film itself.    but MK2 is hesitant about paying money fro that sH*t.  o, i gues that sthe deadlock.   :( .  i am glad that MK2 after all this time still has intrest and i hope that both sides work something out.  well, at least this mean i dont have to give my hopes up completely.  or yet.

lastly, i think it would be wise and much better for me if these scenes do get completed that lynch or whoever  edits them back into the film. since lynch wants them up to par as the rest of the film its makes since to put them back into the original film  instead of seeing them as a seperate feature...

MacGuffin

Twin Peaks Season 2 on DVD in March?

Lynchnet had several reports from Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands that Season 2 of Twin Peaks will be released in those countries on March 1, 2005. Apparently the packaging of the Season 1 sets in Holland now have a sticker on them announcing the release of Season 2 in March. And the Swedish online dvd site, gvg.se, has a listing for the dvd streeting on March 1. No other European dvd sites have any information about a new release though. But the first signs are popping up that something is on the way, at least in parts of Europe. Keep in mind that Paramount doesn't get the rights to Twin Peaks in the US back until September, so we won't see it here in America anytime before then. More details when they become available.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

From Dugpa.net:

Rumors from Paramount Germany Concerning Twin Peaks Season 2 on DVD

I have just been informed by a contact close to Paramount Germany that IF all goes as planned, Germany will be getting Twin Peaks Season 2 split up into two installments. The first one is planned to be released in March 2005 followed by the second half to be released in June 2005. Following both releases will be a deluxe box set in September 2005. This will be the plan unless Paramount USA decides to hold back to do a worldwide release in September. While this is good news, I do have some bad news. While the DVD set will get a brand new audio transfer, unfortunately Paramount is screwing the pooch and will not be doing a new transfer on the video. In other words, according to my source, the quality of the transfer will not be done from the original negatives like they did with the Artisan Season 1 set. Sadly, when Season 2 comes to the rest of the world, they will most likely be using these same transfers.

Although the quality will be better than laserdisc, it will not be the high crystal clear quality of the Season 1 set. At this point, all  I have to say SHAME ON YOU PARAMOUNT for holding the negatives from Artisan and then not showing the courtesy to all the fans across the world to do the same high quality transfer that Artisan did. Of course we will buy the upcoming DVD set, but in the words of a guy named Steven, "I'm truly disappointed".

Those wishing to ask that Paramount consider doing high definition transfers to match the Season 1 DVD set can send letters to the following address:

Paramount Pictures Corp.
Home Video and DVD Department
5555 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Twin Peaks Season 2 extras being worked on

There is an article up on TVShowsOnDVD.com regarding the upcoming Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD set from Paramount that further points to a possible US release late this year:

Twin Peaks - It sounds like we're finally making progress!

The last time TVShowsOnDVD had a Twin Peaks update was at the end of October, when we passed on Lynchnet.com's report that we're likely to see Paramount release the second season of the show in late-2005 (supposedly in September, according to a 2003 rumor report, which is when the rights are supposed to revert back to Paramount in their entirety {NOTE: in that report we quoted they said "2004", when the rights actually revert in 2005}).

At the time of this new October rumor, we asked Paramount for a comment, and they simply replied that nothing was on the schedule...yet. From what we know of the Paramount official schedule, it's still Peaks-less at the moment, but that might only mean a specific date hasn't been chosen. New evidence has recently surfaced that this item is being worked on, and we have a Home Theater Forum reader, Mark Wilson, to thank for the heads-up on this.

Extras aren't always a part of TV-on-DVD releases, but sometimes you can pretty much count on them for certain releases. Twin Peaks - Season 2 would be as close to a no-brainer for needing bonus material as you get, given the high level of fan anticipation for this title! And it looks like Paramount is delivering, with none other than Lancelot Narayan, the producer who brought supplements to such awesome Paramount releases as Once Upon a Time in the Old West and the remake of The Italian Job.

Another slick new DVD in the works for Paramount is a special collector's edition of the film Event Horizon, and Narayan is also working on that release. In an online discussion at the IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase) message boards for Event Horizon, where the new DVD (tentatively scheduled for October 2005 in North America) is being discussed, Narayan made a side-remark that had to do with Twin Peaks:

QuoteI'm currently pulling my hair out working on the Extras for Season 2 of 'Twin Peaks'. If it's at all possible, 'Peaks' fans are more exacting than Trekers [sic]! I really want everybody that buys it when it comes out to be happy. In the end, you can only do your best.

We sincerely hope that our passing on and publicizing those remarks do not get Narayan in trouble, either with the studio, or with Peaks fans who might be upset at being called more exacting than Trekkers, or for that matter with Trekkers who might be upset at being called exacting (we Trekkers are, though...and we know it!). In the end, Narayan chose to make his remarks publicly, and we feel the responsibility to pass on to thousands of deperate Twin Peaks fans that there IS evidence that this release is in production right now, and that they should not despair! I think it's safe to speculate that we'll have this on store shelves before the year is over. That might just be wishful thinking on my part, but at least it's optimistic, and fans like me could use some optimism right about now.

But not everything is optimistic about this project. Since our last update, there have also been rumors that the Paramount release might look inferior to the Artisan release of the first season, because the negatives will not get remastered in the same fashion that the other studio provided for. Our take on this right now is that this is unsubstantiated, and cannot be verified at this time. Consumers should feel free to politely pass on to Paramount what they want to see, but should keep in mind that the studio is aware of the high level of interest in this title, and the super-high level of scrutiny it will receive upon release. We find it hard to believe that they will fail to bring this in at their usual well-done standards.

Only time will tell, though. And for now, Paramount isn't telling. So we can only play this rumor mill game for now, and wait for official word from the people who really really know. Once we find out, we'll be quick to pass it along. Stay tuned! [/i]

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

There are 29 Twin Peaks episodes in total (plus the pilot) - each 45 minutes long, apart from the pilot episode, and the first episode of season 2 (episode 8).
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Myxo

I really can't wait for season two. But I'm gunna have to watch season 1 all over again.

MacGuffin

Twin Peaks Season 2 gets new DVD transfers

Dugpa.com is reporting that Paramount will indeed be giving season 2 of Twin Peaks brand new transfers for it's worldwide dvd release. It appears that the information received from Paramount Germany was old information, as they had planned on releasing the Series on their own shortly after their release of Season 1 on DVD. Now that Paramount is doing a worldwide release, all territories under the Paramount branch will be using the same transfers for the Season 2 box set. Rockin' good news! Keep in mind though that the soonest we'd see Season 2 on dvd here in the states is October due to rights issues.

Skeleton FilmWorks