Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

modage

Thom Yorke solo album / Radiohead frontman to release 'The Eraser' in July
Source: NME

Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke is set to release a solo album in July, it has emerged.

In a dramatic statement Yorke said the album would be called 'The Eraser' and that its "elements have been kicking round now for a few years." Just last night (May 12), Radiohead kicked off the UK leg of their European tour, giving fans a taste of six tracks from the forthcoming new Radiohead album.

Yorke's solo album will be produced by long-time band producer Nigel Godrich[/b]. According to the statement - which was released to respected Radiohead fan site www.ateaseweb.com - Yorke wrote at the tracks and played all instruments. "I have been itching to do something like this for ages," he said. " It was fun and quick to do. Inevitably it is more beats & electronics. But its songs. Stanley [Donwood - Radiohead's cover artist] did the cover. Yes its a record! No its not a radiohead record. As you know the band are now touring and writing new stuff and getting to a good space." Yorke also headed off any speculation about the record signalling problems within the band. "I want no crap about me being a traitor or whatever splitting up blah blah... this was all done with their blessing. And I don't wanna hear that word solo. Doesnt sound right. Ok then thats that." He added that XL - the White Stripes UK label - would put out the album. Radiohead play Blackpool's Empress Ballroom again tonight (May 13)

http://www.theeraser.net/

more... (from pitchfork)

So there you have it: Thom Yorke's un-solo album, The Eraser, is due out July 11 on XL Recordings. (Pretty cool that Thom Yorke decided to put his album out on an indie label, huh?) It was produced by Radiohead bosom buddy Nigel Godrich, and features the following songs (yes, they're all supposed to be lower case):

01 the eraser
02 analyse
03 the clock
04 black swan
05 skip divided
06 atoms for peace
07 and it rained all night
08 harrowdown hill
09 cymbal rush

Various sources, including Billboard.com, report that the track "black swan" will play over the closing credits of Richard Linklater's new movie A Scanner Darkly. You know, the one with the animated images of Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder playing characters in a Philip K. Dick novel.

As you probably already know (because we keep breathlessly telling you), Radiohead are on tour right now. The band canceled a show at Amsterdam's Heineken Music Hall this past Wednesday, due to the death of drummer Phil Selway's mother. The concert has been rescheduled for August 28.

The press release for Yorke's album states, "At the end of the tour Radiohead will resume work on their new album, due for release next year." Nice.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: Lucid on May 16, 2006, 08:52:29 PM
So, did anyone else end up scoring tickets?  I lucked out and got two for the Friday Berkeley show.  Checked back five minutes later and the show was sold out.

I completely forgot about them and remembered a day after they went on sale.  Damn my memory.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

modage

Damon Albarn says Radiohead hypocrites, shows impersonal

The Blur and Gorillaz man has taken a swipe at Thom Yorke and co blasting them for their live shows and their lack of "humanity". According to the Sun Albarn said: "Radiohead - I'm not gonna get into anyone, but bands who care about certain things and then go on one-and-a-half-year stadium tours are just total hypocrites. In one sense you've got this developing humanist thing that's coming out of you, which is great. Then you're creating these massive impersonal events where you set up as the subject of thousands of people's adoration. Where is the humanity in that? That's just idolatory."

RegularKarate

Quote from: ATEASEWEB
The earlier reported track Thom Yorke made available for the film 'A Scanner Darkly' is called 'Black Swan'.

In film magazine Premiere, there is an interview with director Richard Linklater about his upcoming film. The director was asked if he got the Radiohead song he wanted.

Linklater said: "Thom Yorke is letting us use a great song off his new album for the closing credits, "Black Swan." It has a chorus, "because it's fucked up," that will never get airplay.

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 16, 2006, 08:25:17 AM
I thought it was interesting that the temp score had a lot of radiohead.  There was a song during the end credits that I didn't recognize... I think it was saying "it's fucked up... it's fucked up"... anyone know of an rh song that repeats that a few times?

Yeah, so I got to hear the new Thom Yorke solo single before you all... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... and didn't even realize it... it sounded like really laid back radiohead

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate (paraphrased)WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME?  I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME?!?!!?

8)
My house, my rules, my coffee

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modage on May 16, 2006, 10:16:19 PM
Damon Albarn says Radiohead hypocrites, shows impersonal

The Blur and Gorillaz man has taken a swipe at Thom Yorke and co blasting them for their live shows and their lack of "humanity". According to the Sun Albarn said: "Radiohead - I'm not gonna get into anyone, but bands who care about certain things and then go on one-and-a-half-year stadium tours are just total hypocrites. In one sense you've got this developing humanist thing that's coming out of you, which is great. Then you're creating these massive impersonal events where you set up as the subject of thousands of people's adoration. Where is the humanity in that? That's just idolatory."

Radiohead to play gigs in fans' houses, Albarn retracts previous comments

Jeremy Blackman

I think I'll reserve judgment on most of what I've heard (which sounds a little Pablo Honey-esque) and simply hope that they're very rough versions of the future songs. And Thom's voice better be garbled Like Spinning Plates-style in the final 15 Step. (How embarassing are those lyrics?)

But 4 Minute Warning is already great...  :bravo:...

tpfkabi

i haven't listened enough to make out lyrics yet.
what are the lyrics to 15 Step?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

A series of clichés and figures of speech.

MacGuffin

Easy Star All-Stars, who brought you 2003's reggae version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (renamed Dub Side of the Moon), have done it again. On August 22 they'll roll out Radiodread: A Complete Reggae Version of Radiohead's OK Computer, featuring guest vocals from Toots and the Maytals, Citizen Cope, Horace Andy, Morgan Heritage, the Meditations, Israel Vibration and Sugar Minott. The band will perform the dub-ified work in its entirety at the All Good Music Festival on July 13.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

modage

Quote from: mogwai on May 19, 2006, 11:35:59 AM
*marks calender*
making it officially more anticipated than the Thom Yorke solo album on xixax.

RegularKarate

are you marking your calendar so you can avoid that dreck?

Pozer

Any of you LAians get tickets?  No luck here.  Dammit.