The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Started by wilder, May 19, 2017, 05:37:43 AM

Drenk

Liked it. Tense thrilling movie.

SPOILERS

I understand what some of you are saying about the movie not moving forward after the paralysis of the kids, but a lot of the movie is about Farrell's incapacity to act. Will he do what he has to do? I like that the supernatural element of the movie isn't entirely supernatural. I mean, you have to take it for granted, but the weirdness of the movie is that it isn't set in a supernatural world—so I love how it is incorporated to the story. And how seriously the story takes it. mother! and this movie this year embodied their ideas in the screen in lovely ways.

Then, I don't know if it has a lot of meaning. It is thrilling. It makes you sick. But do I wonder about what justice is? Or about choice in complicated situations? Not really. But I don't really mind right now.
Ascension.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Drenk on December 19, 2017, 03:34:03 PM
I don't know if it has a lot of meaning. It is thrilling. It makes you sick. But do I wonder about what justice is? Or about choice in complicated situations? Not really. But I don't really mind right now.

SPOILERS

I'm not entirely sure it needs to have any capital-M meaning in order to work. Though I know I'll be unpacking it a lot in days to come, on my first viewing I just took it in as a thoroughly fucked black comedy with an incredible sense of tone, expert visual craft, and a top-tier level Black Mirror plot. It was a total blast.

Thematically, maybe something to do with the artifice of familial bonds? How we all eat spaghetti the same fucking way? I loved how they all started lobbying for themselves to be the ones to survive, even the mother. That is such an absurdly dark view of humanity it goes beyond tragedy and into something more like hysteria.

And Barry Keoghan, holy shit, right?