An Inconvenient Truth

Started by MacGuffin, June 04, 2006, 12:33:29 PM

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick on January 30, 2007, 11:58:03 PM
that makes me want to swear a lot and hit someone.. and kudos to the writer for channeling his indignation into facts and all that, i'm impressed he didn't make the easy observation that the man who's scared about global warming is called FROSTY.

seriously that is fucked up. when i saw An Inconvenient truth it was at an imax screen with stadium seating and the room was FILLED COMPLETELY with the whole grade 10 of a nearby girl's school. this is one of the top girl's schools in the city, based on RELIGIOUS principles, and they were all there on a mandatory science field trip. one of the girls, bless her blossoming bosom, apologized to me for her school interrupting my otherwise perfect screening of the movie. but there was nothing to apologize for! they were the best audience i've ever seen a movie with. they laughed at all the funny parts, they loved the futurama bit, they even stayed awake during the long boring repetitive parts of overwhelming evidence, and quietly agreed as they exited after the hopeful ending. and why wouldn't they? it's their world the movie is about.

the best part was actually when al gore says two developed countries didn't ratify the kyoto protocol, US, he says.. pause... and australia. big laugh.

where is the book or movie or documentary that defines exactly what the fuck america's problem is right now. why does the school board bend over to some religious zealot out of fear of being unconstitutional, while the whole country can't make its goddamn leaders do anything they truly want??? really. america hates its youth. sequel to Youth Without Youth : America Without Youth. either sending them off to well-payed death camps or miseducating them into oblivion. since when did information, and therefore scientific superiority, become something to fear? it's what made you the winner of the 20th century!

this is some fucked up information-age backlash. i can't tell anymore if it's a rotten core that's seeping out or a parasitic growth that has broken in, either way it's taking over and you're losing fast. the one hope i have is that somehow, and this is on some hippy it's-way-too-hot-to-be-online-right-now shit to end this rant, enough people realise what all the geniuses (joseph campbell, terrence mckenna, john c lilly, etc) who have moved to hawaii to die, and others who didn't (einstein, lynch) have said.. that art, science, religion and philosophy are all racing toward some common point of understanding. so the way to that point must involve acceptance of progress, to follow your bliss without restricting another's as you do the locomotion with me.

but it's hard to stay optimistic in this sweltering heat, and in the face of intractable ignorance, and with the unfortunate knowledge that those girls i was talking about are probably all sluts.

Kal

This was very good. I was afraid it would be too political and attacking the government, but it was excellent in presenting the scientific facts and calling for attention and help. I've been always very interested in this and I have read many books in the past, so I was happy to see the film being so clear and positive because it probably caused an effect in a lot of people.

Its fucking amazing how so many people deny this is happening and ignore the issue completely. The worse part is that the US is so fucked up, that is impossible to defend this country anymore. Being an immigrant (and American citizen) I deal a lot with foreigners and I'm constantly defending this country... but how the fuck can I keep doing that with issues like this and the war completely obvious and with nobody taking responsibility for the actions of the country.

BTW, I went this week to see some hybrid cars... anybody here has one by any chance? I'm getting a new car for sure next month and I think it will be hybrid, but not sure which one.