Deadpool

Started by 03, February 12, 2016, 11:01:02 AM

i feel really bad about making this topic, but there wasn't one already.

i saw this last night and as you can imagine, it's fucking horrific.
my girlfriends brother is a hardcore comic fan so we have to go see the premiere of any of those kind of movies, so this was no exception.

this is obviously an attempt to make an edgier less kid friendly comic book movie and it fails in every possible way.
it only really succeeds at being pointlessly graphic and childishly foulmouthed. (edit: if anything, it appeals more to children than most clean superhero movies, weirdly enough.)

the only way you will get this movie is if you know the comic and backstory beforehand.
the accessibility of other comic book movies is that the stories are pretty universally known.
we all know about batman, superman, etc, so the backstory and the context is kind of assumed.
this is a character that is not well known at all outside of comic fans, but they go into it initially as if you're just going to understand what's going on or as if you're just going to buy it because it's a bunch of special effects and slow motion for no reason. then about a quarter of the way through they decide to go back and forth in time to explain shit that doesn't even matter because you've already figured out how thin the storyline is. it's like, yeah i figured that was what happened, thank you for explaining it to me now in an hour long montage.

the humor is borderline dane cook, as is most of the writing.
almost every line is some little one liner, so when they attempt to be serious, it just feels like garbage.
the acting is horrendous. it's way too long. all of the special effects make video game trailers look oscar worthy.
colossus looks like he was animated in 1990. the main character always looks like a cartoon.
yeah so anyway.

i was pissed the whole film, and the theatre was packed with people laughing loudly and having a great fuckin time.
so i dont know. this is the way i feel about it, pretty sure you guys will too, but damn, i wish i could enjoy movies more like those people. really ruined my night.

Fernando

don't hate me 03 but I'm one of those people.

I enjoyed the hell out of this, since the opening credits until the bonus scene, yes it's a silly raunchy movie but it works. I'm surprised and glad the R rating is earned.

You guys need to check it out.

polkablues

Yeah, I liked it, too. It's not going to be a movie I remember or care about a few years down the line, but the humor worked for me. It's an R-rated Bugs Bunny cartoon.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on February 16, 2016, 07:00:06 PM
It's an R-rated Bugs Bunny cartoon.
Minus good jokes.

Did I have a little bit of fun? Sure? Did I laugh? Nope.

ElPandaRoyal

This didn't work for me either. It's still a super hero movie (which I don't care for anyway) and the humor feels like it's trying really hard to be edgy and outrageous from the start and, apart from a couple of jokes here and there, I don't remember anything particularly funny. Not my cup of tea at all.
Si