Superman: Man of Steel

Started by MacGuffin, February 24, 2010, 03:32:41 PM

Pas

lol ok

Which annoys you more though, the comic book mythologies or the ''myth'' that girls sometimes kiss first?

pete

I think you being adorable and not getting it tickles me the most.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

You somehow remind me of a smartass 12 year old kid I knew who acted tough because he knew karate and then still got his ass kicked

pete

now you're just being annoying.

and also we now have a consensus on the mythology thing, and I have the last word against pas rap, lets move on everybody!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

polkablues

To actually do a Superman movie that's worth doing, mythology is key, but not in the way they're using the word.  He doesn't need more complex backstory, he needs a story that actually delves into the possibilities of what it would mean to have a man with the powers of a god walking around among us.  How does someone who grew up on a farm in Kansas deal with the knowledge that he can single-handedly save or destroy the world?  That he can hear any bad thing happening and get there fast enough to stop it, but instead of just helping people all the time, he spends eight hours a day working for a newspaper?  I don't give a shit if the villain is Lex Luthor or Brainiac or Mr. fucking Mxyzptlk, I just want a movie with some thematic sense, that understands that fighting bad guys is the least interesting thing about the character.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polanski's illegitimate baby

Myth is exactly what people make to sell to other people. What's the argument again?
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Derek

I like the idea of Bana, he could be a bit old if they're looking to stretch this line of films over a decade though.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

squints

anyone else think Jon Hamm would be the perfect superman?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

I'm on board for Jon Hamm.  I would love to see them go older.  One of the biggest problems (out of quite a few big problems) with Superman Returns was that it felt like kids playing dress-up.  It was the Bugsy Malone of superhero movies.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Aronofsky may direct Superman
by Clint Morris; Moviehole

He mightn't be known for directing commercial blockbusters, but that doesn't mean Darren Aronofsky hasn't flirted with the odd Superhero movie or tentpole xerox.

The "Fountain" and "Wrestler" helmer was of course attached to the "RoboCop" remake at MGM (on hold because of the studio's recent troubles), and you'll recall he was circling "Wolverine" there for a while. Most famously, Aronofsky had committed to directing "Batman Year One", a prequel to the Burton-directed 1989 film, years before - think it was about 2001 when Aronofsky signed on - Christopher Nolan handshaked to bring "Batman Begins" to the big screen. Aronofsky, said to be quite the fan of the Caped Crusader, worked on the script with famed comic writer Frank Miller. Alas, the project fell apart and both Aronofsky and Miller went on to work on other projects.

News today from The LA Times is that Aronofsky is talking to producer Christopher Nolan about directing Warner's big-budget "Superman" reboot. The filmmaker is merely one of a handful of filmmakers being considered for the job, but with the buzz on the forthcoming "Black Swan" and Warner's solid working relationship with Aronofsky, he'd assumingly be atop of the list.

I'm sure Aronofsky's "Superman" would be quite the picture... but you have to wonder just how drastically different it might be to the Superman movies we know and love. After all, the filmmaker's "Batman" was going to be very, very different from the original films and comics - hell, the eventual pic would've had some fans up in arms!

"Batman Year One" was going to be a 'real world' version of "Batman" (even more so than Nolan's films) : Alfred was going to be an African-American junkyard owner named 'Big Al', Selina Kyle would work in an underground prostitute hub across the street from the junkyard (where Bruce Wayne would later work), Bruce's costume would be no more than a 'hockey mask' and self-made 'cape', and, for the majority of the movie, the son of slaughtered billionaires would have no clue that he's 'in the money'.

So what would an Aronofsky-directed "Superman" be like? Would Superman only possess the ability to run fast when strapped to motorized roller skates? Would Lois Lane be having an affair with Perry White? Would Jimmy be a street punk that Clark attempts to save - ultimately losing him to Metropolis' shonky car-dealer king, Lex 'The Loon' Luthor!?

Guess we'll find out. Or not.

Update! A friend that worked on "Black Swan" with Mr Aronofsky tells us that the filmmaker has actually "been talking about this for a while" and that they don't think talks have "progressed beyond the suggestion of having Nat[alie Portman] be Lois. They wanted her first time around, this time they can get her - with Darren. But who knows where that's at now" Now that's cool! And I assume they're referring to the studio being keen on Ms Portman for "Superman Returns". "...nothing on paper yet. Don't add his name to the IMDB director listing on the film's page yet", she adds.

-----------------------------------------------------

It's a swan, it's a plane...Darren Aronofsky latest name to surface in Superman director search
Source: Los Angeles Times
When we interviewed Darren Aronofsky at the start of the Toronto International Film Festival, he had a deadpan answer on the progress of "Robocop," the remake of the 1980s action movie that has been felled by financial problems at MGM.

"I think I'm still attached," he said. "I don't know. I haven't heard from anyone in a while."

Now there's talk that he could make his studio debut with a different classic property: Superman.

As he intensifies his search for a director on the Warner Bros. reboot, Christopher Nolan, who's godfathering the new Superman and producing the David Goyer script, has had discussions with Aronofsky about the job, sources say.

Aronfosky's latest, "Black Swan," the hybrid dramatic thriller with Natalie Portman, looks on track to become an art-house hit, if not more, and the idea would be to bring Aronofsky's auteur sensibility to the comic book mythology (much as Nolan has done with Batman).

Of course, Aronofsky is just one name among many. Nolan and producing partner Emma Thomas are casting a net wider than Krypton for the job, with Zack Snyder (a man known for action scenes and physical movement), Matt Reeves (getting heat off this Friday's "Let Me In") and a number of veteran filmmakers also reportedly in the running.

There would also be questions about how the relationship would work between two strong-willed auteurs like Aronosky and Nolan. And the "Wrestler" director has famously resisted taking on bigger-budget studio pictures in the interest of retaining creative control.

Still, it's an enticing idea to bring on an Aronofsky or someone of his ilk. He and Nolan have had similar roots, if vastly different trajectories. Both gained  acclaim for low-budget indies that told fractured stories (Nolan with "Following" and Aronofsky with "Pi") and have continued to maintain an auteur vision even as they worked with bigger stars. If Warner Bros. and financier Legendary are going to give Nolan a significant degree of creative freedom, it makes sense to go with someone who knows how to make the most of that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Still long ways to go before any real idea of the project can be surmised to come even come to half of a judgment, but this is not a confidence builder for me.

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/10/superman-zack-snyder.html
Zack Snyder directing Superman
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Superman-overlooking-metropolis Zack Snyder has been chosen to direct the new Superman movie, which Christopher Nolan is producing for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Negotiations began earlier today.

Snyder, who directed "300" and "Watchmen," had been on the list of helmers ensconced in meetings with Nolan and Warners execs, who in recent weeks have talked to Darren Aronofsky, Ben Affleck, Matt Reeves and Tony Scott.
The job was so coveted that even Robert Zemeckis, retired to the world of performance capture, considered returning to live-action filmmaking in order to nab the gig.

A new Superman movie is one of the studio's top priorities, not only since it serves as linchpin for their line of DC superhero-based films, but especially since Warners needs to be in production on a new Superman movie by 2011 or risk losing certain copyrights to the heirs of creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Seigel. (That litigation is still pending.)
Nolan, who revived Batman, teamed up with David Goyer for a new a way to revive the last son of Krypton. Despite grossing $200 million domestically, the last movie, 2006's "Superman Returns," was considered a disappointment and a hoped-for franchise launch never flew off.

Part of the problem stems from Superman's non-comic book origins: The character for decades was a beacon for positive characteristics and his stories usually painted in black and white, so from a point of view of a certain segment, he was not hip enough for a time that prefers its heroes more morally ambiguous and drawn with tones of gray.
Goyer is writing the script, which is rumored to have, like "Superman Returns," a Richard Donner Superman connection. In the movie's case, it's a villain connection: General Zod.

Snyder is one of Warners favorite filmmakers, ever since he directed the surprise smash "300," the adaptation of the Frank Miller comic book. He followed that up with "Watchmen," the adaptation of the seminal Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons miniseries, and is now putting on the final touches on his original work "Suckerpunch," which is slated to open March 25, 2011.
Snyder just made his animated feature debut with "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole." The movie opened softly but is generating strong word-of-mouth, having fallen only 32% in its second week.

matt35mm

The great news here is that now I don't have to pay to see the movie, or spend 2 and a half hours of my time.  I can just close my eyes and see exactly what this movie is going to be.

Gold Trumpet

The writing and production elements make Snyder a wildcard. I don't know how much involvement he will or not have. Given his awful track record, I hope for less, but I have no idea.