Superman: Man of Steel

Started by MacGuffin, February 24, 2010, 03:32:41 PM

Sleepless

I want to hold off anticipating what's next until after I actually see this movie. I think there are probably a ton of places they could take this which would be more epic in scope - after all, you're dealing with a character that has virtually unlimited power, why should the scale of future installments be dependent on the capabilities of the villain? I suspect it's all going to come down to the themes of this movie - and by extension the inevitable trilogy - that will determine how things will grow bigger in future installments. That, and the hopeful Justice League movie, of course.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Still looks great.

So did Prometheus, though.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

aw man. thats what people that haven't seen it have been telling me...thats no bueno

modage

Yeah it's not terrible by any means but it's definitely got issues.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kal

Quote from: modage on June 12, 2013, 04:13:09 PM
Yeah it's not terrible by any means but it's definitely got issues.

I think it IS TERRIBLE. I can only attribute this to the success of Transformers and movies that have no real plot or a coherent, engaging story, but 2 hours of incredible effects and loud explosions. Except that for Superman, there's a lot of story and ways you can develop the characters so they seem more real and human. I think this was a huge wasted opportunity and as always I had such high expectations...

©brad

Superman should be fun(ny) god damnit. I've worried about the Nolanization of super hero movies. Inferior filmmakers want to make the next Dark Knight and they end up with a joyless, lumbering mass of a movie that takes itself way too seriously and is full of big set pieces that aren't really that fun nor do they make for any kind of coherent story.

RegularKarate

I think that Zach Snyder made this too soon. I think he has a really good filmmaker in him wanting to get out, but he needs to fucking BREATHE.
There was some really well-done shit happening toward the front of this thing, but it was done at a pace that was so rushed to get to action scenes that lasted WAY TOO LONG!

There was a lot to like about this movie. I don't think it's terrible. I even think that the second one could be good. I just wish it would have taken some time and invested more in the characters. I don't need to watch Superman fight Zod for an hour and a half... I want to see Kevin Costner make my eyes wet.

C-Brad... I don't think that the problem is the movie taking itself too seriously... it opens with Russell Crowe riding a fucking dragon.

©brad

Pwaybloe

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

samsong

zack snyder really wants you to know that superman and jesus have a lot in common.

this was shit.  instead of actually doing anything remotely revisionist, they go nuts with inconsequential details (the dragon that russell crowe rides at the beginning HAS A FUCKING NAME) and wax poetic on the reading of superman offered in kill bill 2.  it's a long fucking movie but because of pure ineptitude, nothing about it approaches narrative development or anything worthy of emotional investment.  as it's been pointed out, it's all blowing smoke up your ass between action set pieces that directly contradict the ideology of superman.  such MASSIVE destruction with NO regard for human life.  and all the imagery in this movie is derivative to the point of nonsense.

henry cavill looks great as superman but his attempts at humanizing clark kent/kal el seem limited to pensive looks and weird bouts of yelling.  michael shannon is predictably great as zod.  i feel about diane lane the way everyone is praising kevin costner in this, which i think is the result of some strange connection white people are making between this and field of dreams.

Ghostboy

This was a real bummer. I thought this would be the perfect Zach Snyder film that I've been waiting for (I really have been) but he didn't use any of his trademark touches (which would have been great in this context) and traded them for really awful Jesus metaphors and endless sequences of superbeings smashing concrete. On the plus side, it made me feel better about some of the clunky edits in my own movie.