Darren Aronofsky

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2003, 03:15:25 AM

Ghostboy

Yet another project added to his plate: Watchmen.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17410

If this happens, and if the script is as good as people say it is, this will be great. Maybe.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyYet another project added to his plate: Watchmen.

If this happens, and if the script is as good as people say it is, this will be great. Maybe.
that would be really really great, if aronofsky finally brought that to the screen.. with its coolness intact.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

You really can't trust anything aintitcool says though. I'll believe it when Macguffin posts it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Quote from: GhostboyYet another project added to his plate: Watchmen.

ooo, I own that comic book.  This is exciting.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Aronofsky inks first-look deal with Uni family
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Darren Aronofsky has signed a first-look deal with Universal Pictures.

The deal calls for Aronofsky, producer partner Eric Watson and their Protozoa Pictures to not only develop and produce pictures for Universal but also for sister companies Focus Features and Rogue Pictures.

"Darren and Eric are truly gifted filmmakers and have a voice that is distinct, daring, and uniquely their own," Universal president of production Jon Gordon said. "I have wanted to be in business with these guys for a long time so being able to have them call the Universal family home makes me very proud."

Protozoa has no projects yet at Universal but an announcement is expected soon.

Aronofsky broke on to the scene with the award-winning "Pi," and followed that up with the equally acclaimed "Requiem for a Dream." He is in postproduction on "The Fountain," a sci-fi epic staring Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz.

Aronofsky and Watson have several projects in development around town including "Flicker," Jim Uhl's adaptation of the Theodore Rozak horror suspense novel centered around a shadowy Catholic sect's plot to use Hollywood to usher in the apocalypse, set up at Regency; "Song of Kali," an adaptation of Dan Simmons' novel set in the slums of Calcutta, also at Regency; and "Black Flies," a coming-of-age story about a young man who enlists as a New York paramedic, set up at Paramount.

On the TV front, the two are developing "Riverview," a pilot for HBO written by John McLaughlin about a haunted New York housing project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

universal just did that so that focus could stay in the game!  they didnt want para classics or warner indie swallowing him up like all the other cool directors!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Uni bags Sussman 'Hunt' pitch

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Universal Pictures has pre-emptively acquired Lucas Sussman's pitch "The Hunt," paying a mid-six-figure advance against a high-six-figure payout if the film is produced.

The supernatural adventure centers on the world's greatest hunter, who sets out to capture the ultimate beast: the devil himself.

It will be produced by "Requiem for a Dream" director Darren Aronofsky and business partner Eric Watson through their Universal-based Protozoa Pictures shingle. Protozoa is no stranger to the horror genre, having produced the spooky underwater drama "Below" for Dimension Films.

Sussman's credits include "Song of Kali," which Protozoa is developing at Fox-based Regency Enterprises. He also co-wrote "Below" with Aronofsky and David Twohy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Weisz gives birth to son

British actress Rachel Weisz, a recent Oscar winner for her role in "The Constant Gardener," has given birth to her first child, a son fathered by filmmaker fiance Darren Aronofsky, her publicist said on Thursday.

The baby was born on Wednesday in New York City, where the couple live together, spokeswoman Mara Buxbaum told Reuters, adding that mother and child were both "happy, healthy, wonderful." She declined to give further details about the birth or the baby's name.

Confirmation of the birth came shortly after Us Weekly magazine broke the news in an account attributed to an unnamed close friend of the actress, and People magazine followed with its own report from the star's publicist.

Weisz, 35, first revealed her pregnancy in January on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," where she also gushed about her relationship with the Brooklyn-born Aronofsky, 37.

"I found myself a sophisticated, educated American," she said then. "He's not an actor. He's traveled the world. He knows where Europe is, unlike a lot of Americans. He's very cultured, but he's all man."

Weisz won the Academy Award as best supporting actress in March for her portrayal of a British diplomat's wife who is murdered in Africa while investigating the shady dealings of an international pharmaceutical company.

Co-starring Ralph Fiennes, "The Constant Gardener" was based on a novel by John le Carre.

Weisz, a London native of Hungarian and Austrian parentage, previously appeared in such films as "The Mummy" "Enemy at the Gates" and "Runaway Jury." The dark-haired actress also is a spokeswoman for Revlon cosmetics.

Her next big-screen appearance will be opposite actor Hugh Jackman in "The Fountain," written and directed by Aronofsky. His previous credits include "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Wanna ask Darren Aronofsky a Question??
Source: Moviehole

You got something to say to director Darren Aronofsky?

We're letting YOU ask a question to one of the best filmmakers in the Wood they call Holly.

Whether it is about his classic "Requiem for a Dream", his one-time plans to bring "Batman" to the multiplex, or his latest film, "The Fountain", Moviehole is letting you play interviewee.

We will select 20 questions – so make them good - and they'll be given to Darren to answer. But don't just sit there...

Send your question, as well as your name and where you live, to Clint@moviehole.net with the title "To Darren Aronofsky".

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

"So what is the Fountain really about?"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

"why don't you do more interviews?"

MacGuffin

I sent in: Has fatherhood changed you as a filmmaker? If so, how?

Really wanted to ask: How did you bag Rachel Weisz?

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

I thought my Q was a shoo-in...  :yabbse-undecided:

Ask a Celeb : Darren Aronofsky's Answers!
Source: Moviehole

20 QUESTIONS WITH DARREN ARONOFSKY

You Asked. He Answered. Yep, the first of our 'Ask our Celeb' features is complete. Here are director Darren Aronofsky's responses to all you folks that sent him a question to answer. And don't forget to check out his new pic "The Fountain" at a theatre near you.

Jonathan Adams, W.A : Word is that those at Comic Con last year got treated to a 10minute preview of the film and LOVED IT. I also hear that some of the webmasters - Clint? Assumingly, too? - got to see the WHOLE uncut version of the film there. Now, how important is THAT audience... the COMIC-CON Audience?
Darren : The on-line community is a young, hip, independent, neuvo-dork audience that I am a proud member of. It was important to me to reach out to the community since they have been deeply supportive of Requiem, Pi and the making of The Fountain. So it was a thrill to show the film to the authors of many of the websites I visit all the time.

Ben : If I remember correctly, you came up with the idea whilst watching "The Matrix" with Jared Leto at a cinema. So, why isn't Jared in the film? Was he ever considered? - Ben.
Darren: I really really wanted to work with an Australian actor, since Ozzies make the best actors. Hugh was the obvious choice.

John, Sydney : What are your thoughts on the comparisons that people make between "The Fountain" and Kubrick's "2001"?
Darren : Way premature.

Flassy, Wellington, NZ : Thanks for casting New Zealand's Cliff Curtis in the movie. What was it about Cliff that you liked?
Darren : He's a tremendous versatile artist.

Marie, Coff's Harbord : Did you look at any similar movies in your preparation for "The Fountain" and also, how long did it take to write the script?
Darren : Many movies inspired The Fountain. Herzog's Aguirre, Leone's Once Upon a Time In America, Jodorowski's The Holy Mountain to name a few. I wrote and re-wrote The Fountain pretty continuously from 1999-2005.

Andy Glass : Hi Darren, I am a big fan of yours. I especially love the music in that you have used in your films so far. What can you tell me about the process of creating the soundtrack for your films?
Darren : Making the music is always a war. Clint and I really push each other to do work unlike what we have done before. I get Clint involved at the story level and he's there till pretty much the end.

Rob : Here is my question for Mr. Aronofsky: Darren, from what I have seen in all three of your films, the most interesting aspect to me is how you seem to play with the theme of obsession versus absence. Your protagonists have a particular obsession that drives them to the edge, but this obsession seems to be a means of filling a void or absence in their personal lives. For example, Max in Pi pushes himself to find this theoretical code to existence that suddenly shows up on his computer, but his drive seems motivated at points in reaction to his inability to cope with his desires for his neighbour Devi. If this is the case, do you intentionally give your characters these grand desires and diminish them with such basis human follies or is it something that inadvertently shows up in your work?
Darren : Wow, quite the question. Thank you for thinking about my work it is flattering. I do spend a lot of time thinking about the characters and what drives, what they love and hate, what they want and don't want. But to be honest so much of the writing especially when it's good is unconscious and i never really know what the film is until it is done anyway. So, I guess it's a combo.

Mrs Caffeinated Clint : How did being a parent affect your professional life? Did you find that being a father gave you less time to work on your projects – how else did it change your life?
Darren : Time will tell. New father, no idea yet.

Candace : I'm so sad that you never got to make this film in Australia. Will you try and make something else, here?
Darren : I loved living and working in Oz. The crew we had was some of the best mates I've ever had. I was just learning to surf when they shut us down so yes I'd love to come back.

Melanie, Benalla : Is there an actor you haven't worked with yet that you'd like to?
Darren : Many. Russell Crowe to start.

Daniel, Melbourne : What was your take on Batman going to be like? Were you going in the direction Chris Nolan went, or would you have retained some of the dark fantasy feel that Tim Burton brought to the character? What villain(s)would have been there to battle Batman, and would you have retold the origin story, or pulled a Singer and made your film a continuation of the past series?
Darren : I was never planning to direct Year One. I was more interested in writing a screenplay with Frank Miller on Batman. My pitch was always very realistic. I wasn't interested in fantasy, I was interested in the psychology of a real man dressing in a disguise to pay out real vengeance. The batmobile was a souped up lincoln continental with a bus engine. It was technical and rusty and extremely violent. They would have never let us have violence.

Christopher, Kew, Victoria : Why did you decide on Jackman and Weisz for the lead roles in "The Fountain"?
Darren : Jackman is the greatest entertainer in the world right now and Rachel is one of the great beauties to ever inhabit the silver screen.

Derek Green : Dear Mr. Aronofsky, You make what many could say as "risky" films, as they advance your unique and creative vision and do not conform to any Hollywood mold. As an aspiring filmmaker myself, how were you able to effectively make the artistically free films that we see today? What's the secret to breaking in and doing what you do?
Darren : Direct from your heart. Tell the story you want to tell your friends, your family. Don't worry about what might sell in China, tell your personal story. The more honest you get the more it will connect.

Jeannette, Ivanhoe : Darren, can we get an update on "Lone Wold and Cub" and "Black Flies"? I so can't wait to see the movie versions of those
Darren : Both being written.

Peter, Footscray : Could you have done this movie say, in the 1980s? Or is it only possible to do now - with all the technology?
Darren : I could have done it but it would have been different. Always take advantage of what's around you in the Now.

John, North Ryde, NSW : Hi Darren, I heard that "The Fountain" took over 6 years to make. What was the experience of making this film compared to your past films such as "Pi" and "Requiem for A Dream"?
Darren : It's all the same. Work Work and More Work.

Martin, East Brunswick : Will there be an extended cut of film on DVD, and are you doing a commentary?
Darren : The cut in the cinema is MY final cut. You are seeing the finished film on the screen and it will be the same on the dvd. There will not be a commentary.

Warlock, Wgga Wagga, NSW : I hear you're involved in a film called "The Hunt" - but I don't know any more about it than the title. Can you fill us in?
Darren : The Hunt is a great action film in the spirit of Predator. It is being scripted by Lucas Sussman a college roommate of mine and the project is at Universal.

Oliver : Do you still make short films, if so, why?
Darren : Haven't in awhile.

Mario Z, Vienna : My name is Mario. I am from Vienna, Austria and here is my question for Darren Aronofsky: Mr Aronofsky, Im looking forward to your new film "The Fountain". I would like to know where did you get your inspiration for this very complex and ambitious story? Thanks in advance!
Darren : Mario - got the idea in a flash. Go see it and you will see what I mean.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 29, 2007, 12:39:19 AM
I thought my Q was a shoo-in...  :yabbse-undecided:
maybe this will explain it:

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 29, 2007, 12:39:19 AM
Darren: I really really wanted to work with an Australian actor, since Ozzies make the best actors.
all the questions seem to have been from australians, with the exception of that kiwi and the random Vienna dude. wtf?
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on January 29, 2007, 04:23:58 AM
all the questions seem to have been from australians, with the exception of that kiwi and the random Vienna dude. wtf?

I noticed that too. If I had known, I would've had you send it in.

Skeleton FilmWorks