Mad Max 4: Fury Road

Started by MacGuffin, November 02, 2006, 11:36:09 AM

saw it again tonight in an empty theater. Anyone here who hasn't seen this in cinema yet needs to get on it immediately. Restored my faith in modern film. People can still make the kind of movies that revolutionized the seventies.

Jeremy Blackman

I saw this like two weeks ago, but I've given up on posting a review that could do it justice or express why I love the movie. My only complaint is that it wasn't 3 hours long. I'm not even an action fan in particular, but this was profoundly beautiful.

It's impossible not to get caught up in the insanity, but the quiet moments are just as absorbing. And there is a particular balance achieved. I can't remember the last film I saw that was so precisely and effectively paced.

SPOILERS

The 3D was transcendent. When they're coming back through the mountain pass and the war rigs are finally destroyed, a massive collection of machine parts explodes right at us in this intricately designed symphony of mechanical carnage, with the guitar as the centerpiece. That moment basically melted my brain.

It's also surprisingly emotional. I was completely overwhelmed by the ending.

I think this is the movie Waterworld wanted to be.

Mel

I waited with the comments for two weeks.

The first ticket is for night film marathon "Mad Max", which included first, second and fourth installment (no Thunderdome). It was worth the price for being able to see "The Road Warrior" on big screen alone. Experience of watching "Fury Road" was kinda weakened for me  - sitting for so long in a chair isn't my thing and that combined with drunk chicks next to me took away a good chuck of fun. On the other hand it was easier to catch some nods to "The Road Warrior" - a music box, misfire from double barrel etc.

Now I have to say "Fury Road" deserves a second viewing - there is so much going on that you can miss some fine bits. Today I picked a place closer to the screen - for lauder music and sound (it was a right choice).

I'll list some things (and questions to you), since I'm in a bit of hurry and it is hard to vocalize your feeling toward a film like that. Possible spoilers:

• Favorite scene? For me it is scene, where Furiosa replaces "stolen" steering wheel with a pipe wrench right away. In other hands (director/screenwriter wise), lack of wheel could be exploited for a "what to do? what to do?" prolonged scene. Not here, simple and practical.
  • Feminism in "Mad Max". I don't see it myself. The problem is what was going on in mainstream. I love that there is a strong female presence. Not only that, but we got older ladies kicking ass on a good side - roles for older people are typically limited for villains or some form of wisdom tellers. Here we get R-rated flick with female led (Furiosa) in an action movie - who would predicted that?
  • Color grading is very different. In a way it feels like a black and white movie - for the most part only one color is dominating the screen, be it orange at day or blue at night. I'm waiting for Blu-ray, which supposedly will include black and white version.
  • Anyone surprised by chronology? I was sure judging by trailers that sand storm will be the last scene - how wrong I was.
  • Favorite car? Doof Wagon was over the top, but my personal pick goes for Buzzard Excavator - that thing seemed almost indestructible for awhile.

My mind is still spinning around, will try to write more next time.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jonas

What a great time at the theater!

Favorite Line: Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Favorite Vehicle: The Peacemaker (car with tank treads) driven by the Bullet Farmer, followed by the Gigahorse driven by Immorton Joe (two Cadillac Coupe de Villes sitting on top of each other!?!)

:shock::bravo:
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Ultimate Badass

So this movie was good. It was pure action. Nothing more, nothing less. Action. Hot fucking action to the max, Jack.

Simple action, a ride. A simple story and an amazing spectacle in a fully realized, beautifully realized, world. It was gorgeous, and amazing to look at. The action was astounding.

This was a beautiful, exquisite cartoon. But I want more.

modage

This review appears positive but almost like a backhanded compliment particularly the "nothing more, nothing less" part to which I would argue it is so much more.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

...it's unnecessary at this juncture to defend Mad Max against someone not liking it as much as you do. It landed as a classic. Props. But still, and I know this is tricky, the movie doesn't mean to everyone what it means to those who love it, which is the perspective Mad Max fans need to get a grip on.

Jeremy Blackman

TUBA, your reaction could not be more alien to me.

This is the thing... I love it because it did have a lot of meaning. It's simple, and it's basically encapsulated in the final scene, but it was deeply affecting.

jenkins

...he meant that what was deeply affecting and had a lot of meaning to you, was non-transferrable to him, and he'll search elsewhere for a movie that pulls him in. Why's that --- that's ok man. That's totally ok.

modage

I don't care if he loved it or not but to say that there was "nothing more" than action in this film is patently untrue.

jenkins

It does sound true that the movie didn't put more in him, or me, and you just gotta deal with that.

Again, I don't think a defense of Mad Max is necessary now, and some people don't like it as much as the people who love it.

Tictacbk

Why are you trying to discourage discussion?

jenkins

I'm encouraging an opposing viewpoint and having conversation when few other people here do (there's like 11 people here?), so I don't know what you mean. Why am I supporting the other side? It just happens, in fact it happens with most of the movies I personally like.

Tictacbk

You're not encouraging a viewpoint, you're discouraging Modage and JB from defending their own viewpoint.  You seem to be trying to end a discussion instead of having one.