If you're foreigner, post inadequate movie titles here

Started by cron, August 05, 2004, 07:07:47 PM

Gamblour.

haha I love Celebrate with Ferris. And I haven't seen Eraserhead, but isn't "In Heaven Everything is Fine" the tagline? I almost like that as a title.
WWPTAD?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Gamblor geht weg.haha I love Celebrate with Ferris. And I haven't seen Eraserhead, but isn't "In Heaven Everything is Fine" the tagline? I almost like that as a title.

to be honest i am not entirely sure... :oops: .its either that or "a dream of dark and troubling things..."..........but i agree w/ you that "In Heaven Everytrhign is Fine" would be a killer title ..........

Jeremy Blackman

These are beautiful...
Quote from: cronopioJerry Maguire - Amor y DesafĂ­o  (Love and Challenge)
Rush Hour - Una Pareja Explosiva (An Explosive Couple)
Quote from: ...& IThis is Spinal Tap - Hjelp vi er i Rockebransjen/ Help, we're in the rock industry

Peeping Thom

In France, Bamboozled is called The Very Black Show.

Spike Lee said it sucks.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Peeping ThomIn France, Bamboozled is called The Very Black Show.

That's amazing.  

Working in sort of a backwards way, I remember being told that the literal English translation of the Chinese title for "Hard-Boiled" was "Hot Handed Cop of Death."

Alexandro

my mexican favorites:

PULP FICTION--Violent Times
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS--The Silence of the Innocents
GOSFORD PARK--Murder at Midnight
BRINGING OUT THE DEAD--Lifes at the Limit
COLLATERAL--Wrong Place and Time
HOME ON THE RANGE--Cowcows (as opposed to cowboys)
DIRTY PRETTY THINGS--Gutsy Bussines
THE DANGEROUS LIVES OF ALTAR BOYS--Fantastic Stories
LOST HIGHWAY--On the Dark Side of the Road
LOST IN TRANSLATION--Lost in Tokio
BOOGIE NIGHTS--Pleasure Games
THE BIG LEBOWSKI--Dangerous Identity (I actually think the Coens would like this title)
FARGO--Voluntary Kidnapping
ONE HOUR PHOTO--Portraits of an Obsession
MINORITY REPORT--Previous Sentence
THE BIRTHDAY GIRL--Russian Rulette
MONSTER'S BALL--Past Condems Us
IN THE BEDROOM--Unforgivable Crime
SAVING GRACE--The Garden of Joy (this is funny)

rustinglass

silence of the lambs and boogie nights are exactely the same in portuguese and in mexican. I wonder who is given the job of translating these titles
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Jeremy Blackman

I can see how something like Boogie Nights or Collateral would be hard to translate, but... In the Bedroom? Lost Highway? Why can't we just literally translate these titles?

pete

more from Taiwan (I'm going back there next month, will update you with some more)

big lebowski - murdering green toe
magnolia - corners of the soul
my best friend's wedding - the bride is not me
rushmore - it's all love's fault
bottle rocket - delusional bottle rocket
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: petebig lebowski - murdering green toe
:lol:

Thrindle

Quote from: peteMy best friend's wedding - the bride is not me
Tee hee...
Classic.

grand theft sparrow

I was channel surfing last night and came across a Korean show called (in English) "She's Brave and Straightforward."  It appears to be some kind of "Sex and the City" type show, from what I could gather.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Knife in the Water is so much cooler than The Young Lovers.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ernie

Going the other way around, I always resented "Fucking Amal" becoming "Show Me Love" in the US.