Bad Release Date

Started by ABKman18, December 07, 2007, 01:51:26 AM

ABKman18

Am I the only one who feels There Will Be Blood has a bad release date?   

This weekend would've been perfect for the release of the film.  Literally nothing is coming out other than the Golden Compass.

Why does Paramount Vantage want to bury this film in the muck of Christmas?  And what family will go see this film on Christmas? 

It makes no sense.

I feel like this is what they did with Punch-Drunk Love: tons of hype and over marketing, then released it late. PDL died because of the poor marketing strategy and release date. Are they trying to kill the buzz of this film? 

socketlevel

didn't magnolia come out around the same time of the year?  or i could be mistaken.
the one last hit that spent you...

john

Well, I'm gonna go home and take my folks... that's, like, thirty bucks right?

But, yeah... I don't expect massive business from this... and I don't think Paramount Vantage does, either. I'm sure it will open, relativel, limited and do a great per-screen average. I can't imagine it racking in too much money unless it gets some substatial nominations... you know, so fans of The Today Show can put it on their checklist.

This weekend would have been nice... maybe even last October.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ABKman18 on December 07, 2007, 01:51:26 AM
And what family will go see this film on Christmas? 

Any family that doesn't celebrate Christmas.

Quote from: socketlevel on December 07, 2007, 01:52:54 AM
didn't magnolia come out around the same time of the year?  or i could be mistaken.

12/17/99 in NYC and LA.  It was a great day.  My friend saw it 4 times that day out of the 16 that he ended up seeing it in a theatre.

Quote from: ABKman18 on December 07, 2007, 01:51:26 AM
PDL died because of the poor marketing strategy and release date. Are they trying to kill the buzz of this film? 

PDL "died" because it wasn't Happy Gilmore.  It wasn't a Sandler movie; it was a PTA movie.  If you're expecting Blood to do gangbusters, you're going to be disappointed.  It's not a conspiracy.  It's just... how do you swindle a large audience that bitches about every movie being too long (and yet sits happily through Transformers and Pirates several times) to see a 2:38 movie about oil?  The only proven way is to nominate it for a Best Picture Oscar.

I personally can't wait to hear stories of people who went to see it because the title sounds like a horror movie.

Pubrick

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on December 07, 2007, 06:38:02 AM
My friend saw it 4 times that day

that's just stupid.

out of the 16 that he ended up seeing it in a theatre.

so why doesn't he post here?
under the paving stones.

md

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

ABKman18

OK, guys. I'm talking about in a larger sense, the way films are released strategically. I know Blood wont get a shitload of money but i do know that there is absolutely nothing new coming out this weekend worth merit. yes, juno and other things are growing with wider releases, though nothing else.

What i  meant by families during Christmas time....Usually the market Holiday films are family and comedy oriented.  Yes, this could work as counter-programming but something about it feels wrong. 

I'm talking about golden opportunity.  It feels like Blood will be buried by a lot of stuff.  And for some reason, the marketing doesn't seem to quite take hold in my mind.  I see the trailers on tv but nothing sticks. I've seen the film already and know how good it is. I want it to be represented well.

PDL, bombed, yes, because people thought it was a Sandler movie..but also, the trailers for the film were shown abnormally early and I felt the good buzz behind it died by the time it opened.

I'm hoping it'll  be like a Million Dollar Baby and just word out of mouth and critics will get this film support the last moment of the season.  Yes, oscars don't matter. But i do want PTA to get some acclaim for this film.

Gold Trumpet

You basically argue yourself.

Quote from: ABKman18 on December 08, 2007, 06:30:15 PM
OK, guys. I'm talking about in a larger sense, the way films are released strategically. I know Blood wont get a shitload of money but i do know that there is absolutely nothing new coming out this weekend worth merit. yes, juno and other things are growing with wider releases, though nothing else.

Quote from: ABKman18 on December 08, 2007, 06:30:15 PM
What i  meant by families during Christmas time....Usually the market Holiday films are family and comedy oriented.  Yes, this could work as counter-programming but something about it feels wrong. 

So, if There Will Be Blood is released now, it will eventually be released wider and that likely will happen around... maybe Christmas time?

Indepedent movies do go to more theaters if they make good sales which is why There Will Be Blood needs to be released at Christmas so it will expand in the dead of winter for good movie releases known as January and February. 

matt35mm

Yeah, the late release date is for Oscar consideration, and then they will attack in January when there's a bunch of crap released, be in theaters when Oscar nominations are being made, and hope to remain in theaters right up until the Oscar ceremonies, where they can hope to get a box office push.

This strategy has worked well for a lot of movies.  There Will Be Blood is not likely to make a ton of money just because it is what it is.  I can't imagine that being released in the Fall, for example, would have brought in more money than their current strategy would.  The best hope is for the awards and selected showings to build buzz, such that people who otherwise would have had no interest in it will develop interest.

This weekend would not have been good because, as you said, The Golden Compass is coming out.  Most distributors tend to stay away from any big movie.

So, consider mid-January the real release date of There Will Be Blood as far as the money-making part of it goes.  Being released alongside award buzz could be excellent for the film, especially if the movie picks up some of the major awards.

md

There will be blood the next My big fat greek Wedding?  I hope there's cake.  Releasing too early might kill the party, though.  PTA fan's know what they are getting themselves into for this movie...and that is to expect the unexpected.  Grandma might cry, but I think the trailer has set an informed tone. Abkman, you're not related to our friend Ebeaman are you?  That youthful presence has got a double ass meaning, yo. 2 more days bitches. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on December 08, 2007, 08:11:02 AM
My friend saw it 4 times that day

that's just stupid.

out of the 16 that he ended up seeing it in a theatre.

so why doesn't he post here?

He only has a certain amount of space in his head for things he likes.  When something new is great, something old starts to suck.

It's a wonder that he hasn't posted here by now.