music videos and mtv

Started by Alexandro, June 26, 2003, 11:51:22 AM

life_boy

Also, do the directors of these videos get paid to see how many cuts they can fit into a 3 & 1/2 minute time span or do they just like to make mundane things seem more frantic they normally would?

Alexandro

Quote from: sexterossai don't remember MTV ever being real adventurous in the videos they played. maybe the difference is that the you previously liked more mainstream music than you do now.

i kinda desagree too...definetely the mainstream music back in the nineties was more experimental than these days...jesus, nine inch nails was a mainstream band!! that wouldn't happen now...and they were deifnetely showing what people were asking, but they were showing more...there were so much videos and so much different artists and options...today is insane...they keep showing the same videos all day non stop...

I remember back then it was impossible to see a video at one hour and then catch it on the next hour...today the same video can be shown every hour, it's so fucking boring...

on mtv latino, in mexico, there seem to be a group of artists dominating the programming: shakira, britney, christina, justin, nelly, beyonce, linkin park, sum 41 and eminem...sometimes korn and red hot chilli peppers...

A friend of mine who works on the music bussines told me that the top tens are a bunch of bullshit, he says mtv offers the package slike this: "you want your artist to be on the top ten is this much...you want it to be on the top ten and to the top 5 of the day is this much...you want it to be on the weekly top  20 is thi smuch....you just want it to be on rotation is this much""":...

mtv sucks

Pubrick

Quote from: life_boyAlso, do the directors of these videos get paid to see how many cuts they can fit into a 3 & 1/2 minute time span or do they just like to make mundane things seem more frantic they normally would?
do u even know what ur talking about?

i like how alexandro made 'music videos' and 'MTV' two separate things in the title. the biggest problem with videos is their inherent commerciality, nick cave has said he doesn't like making videos cos they basically are "filming me exhibiting my desire to sell". so like films, a large proportion of them are pieces of shit where the artist involved has no discernable trace of integrity.

about MTV america, all i know is u don't play videos anymore.. in australia we're at 10% shows, 90% music. this means we hav more time especially at these unprofitable hours (midnite to 5am) to show explicit/offensive/meaningful content. this is logical, the daylight hours are better used for teenage brainwashing.

anyway that's how it works here, on the 3 decent music channels that we hav. (the third being free-to-air, and only operating on weekends after midnite), and the videos that i and others hav mentioned are exceptional because they mercilessly explore the potential of these 3-6min film capsules.
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

they do the same on mtv latino...all day they show crap, but between 1 am and 5 or 6 am they show some pretty cool videos...

i wish they did it a litle earlier, like, maybe 11 pm

jonas

MTV sucks.

TOOL makes the best videos, IMO.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

phil marlowe

windowlicker is the greatest ever, it scares the shit outa me while i'm being cracked up...his dance...ohh that sweet dance.

chainsmoking insomniac

Radiohead videos kick ass too.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Sigur Rós

Quote from: jonasMTV sucks.

TOOL makes the best videos, IMO.

Agreed

Quote from: phil marlowewindowlicker is the greatest ever, it scares the shit outa me while i'm being cracked up...his dance...ohh that sweet dance.

Agreed

A Fire Inside

I know what you mean, MTV has lost all substance and depth.  Even MTV2 sucks now.  What the hell happened?  Whats unique about shaking your bootie in every farking video?  Even Jewel, an artist I used to respect because she had some depth, now she just another manufactured pop singer, I refuse to call these videobands as "Artists", because there is not art in it anymore.
If life gives you babies, make baby-aid

Vile5

Quote from: AlexandroAm I alone in thinking that musci videos usedto be amazing like, in the mid 90's but now most videos are crap??

I remember when I was like 15, 16 years old i would watch mtv all day and hardly see the same video twice...now it seems theyonly have like 20 videos and show them all day...

Back in the nineties there were some amazing videos: Radiohead's High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees,Karma Police and Paranoid Android...Bjork's Human Behavior, It's Oh SoQuiet, Army of Me, I Miss You...Beck's Devil's Haircut, Deadwight and Where it's at?...Portishead's All Mine...U.N.K.L.E.'S Rabbit in your headlights...Blind Melon's NoRain and Toes Across the floor...

Air's Sexy Boy and Kelly watch the stars...Daft Punk's fire and around the world...Massive Attack's Teardrop...Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People...Nine Inch Nails's Closer and The Perfect Drug...Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun...Smashing Pumpkins's 1979...

most of the chemical brothers videos are great too...

Is it just me or these music videos are way better than the LinkinPark, Korn, Limp Bizkit,Eminem, Britney, Nsync, P.O.D., and Sugar Ray videos oftoday...

Oh, and like two days ago I saw a new animated videofrom U.N.K.L.E. that blew me away!!!

Completely, completely, completely  agree
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

edison

Quote from: AlexandroOh, and like two days ago I saw a new animated video from U.N.K.L.E. that blew me away!!!

What song was it for?

edison

Quote from: m©gwai
Quote from: EEz28
Quote from: AlexandroOh, and like two days ago I saw a new animated video from U.N.K.L.E. that blew me away!!!

What song was it for?
my guess it's "eye for an eye". click here for further information.

Thanks, I had no idea a new cd was on the way.

Alexandro

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: EEz28

What song was it for?
my guess it's "eye for an eye". click here for further information.

Yes, it's an Eye for an Eye...

I also saw the new Audislave video and thought it was pretty cool....the one in which they'r ebeing chased on the highway...

puddnanners

I think the world would be a better place if music videos were banned from television (this makes sense, just keep reading!)  If MTV and VH1 and other video music stations weren't allowed to show videos, then there wouldn't be as many television head honchos and and big media types deciding what videos were cool.  No music videos on television equals no TRL which equals no screaming thirteen year old girls and MTV reps deciding what will be popular and thus the crap pop music today will go the way of the dinosaur (fingers crossed).  Videos could still be made, and with amazing DVD technology, videos could be put out on compilations that you buy, and this would actually mean MORE music videos by people who would normally not make them because they know that MTV or VH1 would never play them, and the videos would be wild because there wouldn't be any TV standards and practices people to edit them or not play them.   I hope that makes sense!

ANd additionally, this is a ridiculous thing that I saw on TRL (oh yeah, i don't actually like TRL and I bitch about MTV all the time, but for the love of Pete, it seems to be the channel i watch the most).  The tenth place video was a tie between two videos, and to decide which one officially made it on the countdown, they assigned each video to a pig, and had them race.  Litterally, there was swine deciding what video would be cooler that day.  I find that funny.

Pubrick

one- ur assuming ppl make videos only to be shown on mtv/vh1. this was disproven on the first page.

two-if videos moved from tv to dvd exclusive, or even theatre exclusive, they would still be controlled by  OTHER HONCHOS. tv isn't the only medium controlled by the dollar or large cooporations..

three- unless u go back in time and kill mtv in its infancy, there is no way to stop the stranglehold it has on popular music culture right now. the best that can be done is that more independent minded kids start buying good music, and not just what's shown on TRL.. then the videos will follow.
under the paving stones.