music videos and mtv

Started by Alexandro, June 26, 2003, 11:51:22 AM

Alexandro

Am I alone in thinking that musci videos usedto be amazing like, in the mid 90's but now most videos are crap??

I remember when I was like 15, 16 years old i would watch mtv all day and hardly see the same video twice...now it seems theyonly have like 20 videos and show them all day...

Back in the nineties there were some amazing videos: Radiohead's High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees,Karma Police and Paranoid Android...Bjork's Human Behavior, It's Oh SoQuiet, Army of Me, I Miss You...Beck's Devil's Haircut, Deadwight and Where it's at?...Portishead's All Mine...U.N.K.L.E.'S Rabbit in your headlights...Blind Melon's NoRain and Toes Across the floor...

Air's Sexy Boy and Kelly watch the stars...Daft Punk's fire and around the world...Massive Attack's Teardrop...Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People...Nine Inch Nails's Closer and The Perfect Drug...Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun...Smashing Pumpkins's 1979...

most of the chemical brothers videos are great too...

Is it just me or these music videos are way better than the LinkinPark, Korn, Limp Bizkit,Eminem, Britney, Nsync, P.O.D., and Sugar Ray videos oftoday...

Oh, and like two days ago I saw a new animated videofrom U.N.K.L.E. that blew me away!!!

Rudie Obias

i really like the justin timberlake video for "cry me a river".

the foo fighters always put out good music videos.  dave grohl is directing them now!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Alexandro

i don't know the name of the song, butthe justin timberlake videoin which he's dancing like in a discoand sounding like michael jackson is kinda cool...

the one pop video i loved was britney's i'm a slave 4u...the son's not bad either...trippy song for a pop princess

European Son

I think it's like this because music videos today are more geared toward the image of the performer instead of the image of the song. Think about it. What do you see for the majority of the running time during today's music videos? The performer. Back in the early-mid 90s, Artists wanted videos that would set their single aside and draw your attention to the song. I think the directors they're getting to do these has a lot to do with it as well. Most of them just aren't that good. However, Linkin Park got Mark Romanek to direct their latest one. Usually Linkin Park videos are very uninteresting, but this one is so well made that it almost makes up for their awful music. Stuff is just geared to promote artists' images, not their music. That's the way it is.

modage

mmm... mark romaneak, i havent seen that one.  personally i favor

MARK ROMANEK
MICHEL GONDRY
DAYTON & FARIS (sometimes)
JONAS ACKERLUND

for directors still making videos today.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BonBon85

European Son

Quote from: themodernage02mmm... mark romaneak, i havent seen that one.  personally i favor

MARK ROMANEK
MICHEL GONDRY
DAYTON & FARIS (sometimes)
JONAS ACKERLUND

for directors still making videos today.
Who would like to see Radiohead and PTA get together for a video? I think Radiohead are fans of his. Maybe it could happen....maybe.

Don't forget Spike Jonze. He's still making music videos I believe.

And whoever directed White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" video is very good. I'd like to see more work by them.

SoNowThen

I'd like to see Spears and Aguilera in a video together. Topless.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Quote from: European SonWho would like to see Radiohead and PTA get together for a video? I think Radiohead are fans of his. Maybe it could happen....maybe.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2291&start=15
I like to hug dogs

Alexandro

that daft punk'svideo directed by spike jonze is one ofthefunniest...

the onein which the main character is a dog who carries a radio around like radio raheem in do the right thing...

that dog is such a jonze typical character...you can see some similarities between this dog and the pupeteer in being john malkovich, and charlie kauffman in adaptation...

Pubrick

Quote from: Alexandrothat daft punk'svideo directed by spike jonze is one ofthefunniest...
that track would be Da Funk, hilarious bittersweet video.

once again Chris Cunningham is not getting enuff props:
Bjork- All is Full of Love
Aphex Twin - come to daddy, windowlicker

and the least appreciated classic video of the 90s, up there with Rabbit In Your Headlights:

Afrika Shox by Leftfield, african dude disintegrates within the modern city, another cunningham classic. y'all will be jumpin on the bandwagon when neuromancer comes, i won't blame ya.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

PTA doing a Radiohead video would be nice, but I'm more interested in Radiohead scoring a PTA movie.

life_boy

The problem with music videos is that it is just one of those things the performer's have to do when they have a new CD and single come out.  If they don't do it, then there's a whole market of teens who won't be reached via MTV (eMpTyV).  So, as a result, if anyone wants to sell a shitload of CD's, they must have a music video.  It doesn't matter if the video is someone dancing around on the beach because the audience is already built in.  There are very few people who try to make good music videos.  Actually, music videos from soundtracks are the worst because it has all the shit of a normal music video and then the person will walk by a wall or a TV screen and you get to watch a few images of whatever movie the soundtrack is for, in case you didn't see the previews or something.

And Sum 41 can kiss my ass (the bastards).  Actually, all the popunk bands can.

This rant was brought to you by:

sexterossa

i don't remember MTV ever being real adventurous in the videos they played. maybe the difference is that the you previously liked more mainstream music than you do now.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

chainsmoking insomniac

I'd have to disagree.  There was something about a majority of 90s videos that really fucking rocked.  Today, I hardly stay on MTV for longer than 10 minutes.  
And by the way, the MTV rant was fucking beautiful.  I'm just not eloquent enough to say that, but I completely agree.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls