13 Conversations About One Thing

Started by Mesh, May 01, 2003, 01:35:52 PM

Mesh

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: BonBon85It kind of reminded me of a Woody Allen movie, but I certainly prefer the majority of Allen's movies to 13 Conversations.

only sans the humor

Exactly.  Thus, lifeless and depressing.

Tiff

i just saw this in dvd and LOVED it. i think the reason all you people hate it is because it isn't as fast paced and pumped with director-ego. i don't think you guys really analysed it enough, and the way you are all bitching about it is evidence of that. what is your main problem with it? The directing, or the script?
"Shut the fuck up!"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Tiffi just saw this in dvd and LOVED it. i think the reason all you people hate it is because it isn't as fast paced and pumped with director-ego. i don't think you guys really analysed it enough, and the way you are all bitching about it is evidence of that. what is your main problem with it? The directing, or the script?

the directing. i think the script is interesting. i just think the tone of the film doesn't fit at certain parts. it reminds me a lot of how mamet directs. i felt like i was watching a stage play.
...your excuses are your own...

Mesh

Quote from: Tiffi think the reason all you people hate it is because it isn't as fast paced and pumped with director-ego.

As what?  As Boogie Nights?  What on earth do you mean?

As for your other questions, I think I've already covered my problems with the film, in general and in some specifics.  Ask me a more pointed question and I'll go further to town on this piece of shit movie.

Mesh

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Tiffit reminds me a lot of how mamet directs. i felt like i was watching a stage play.

Except when Mamet directs, it's like watching a good stage play.*

*Usually.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: Tiffit reminds me a lot of how mamet directs. i felt like i was watching a stage play.

Except when Mamet directs, it's like watching a good stage play.*

*Usually.

very true

chainsmoking insomniac

Damn, I really don't understand why everyone hates this movie.  I mean, I do agree that the tone of the film was off in some parts, but overall (and especially scriptwise) it's not horrible to watch.  I think alot of you are trying to compare it to Magnolia, and this is a mistake.  The two films really aren't meant to be compared.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Jeremy Blackman

I like this movie, and I liked it even more when I saw it. Sure, it was a little pretentious and a little unoriginal, but I really enjoyed it. You guys can be way too hard on movies like this and way too nice about Spider Man and Bulletproof Monk.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanYou guys can be way too hard on movies like this and way too nice about Spider Man and Bulletproof Monk.

i definately know what you're saying -- however, I do feel that a movie that strives to tell a story with "depth", is going to get more extreme responses. i feel people dont have extreme opinions about a film like bullet proof monk, because it's not attempting to be anything beyond what's on the surface. when i walk out of spider man i dont feel any real emotion -- i dont think it's good or bad -- i just see it as 2 hours of amusement-- however a film like 13 conversations is obviously wanting to spark debate or discussion from it's viewers -- this will either stimulate feelings of anger or pleasure towards the subject matter -- i think it's great when people passionatley hate a film -- at least that film made them feel passionatley about SOMETHING.

MacGuffin

Quote from: punchdrunk23I think alot of you are trying to compare it to Magnolia, and this is a mistake.  The two films really aren't meant to be compared.

I agree. Just because a film has multiple storylines where the lives intersect, it doesn't automatically mean it's a "Magnolia" rip-off. In that case, you might as well compare it to "Short Cuts".

I really liked this film. I thought it was a better screenplay (nominated at the Indie Spirit Awards) than movie, but it was still great.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tiff

Quote from: Tiffi think the reason all you people hate it is because it isn't as fast paced and pumped with director-ego.

magnolia. you want 13 conversations to have the same editing as magnolia. the themes in each movie are obviously different, so of course the two films are going to contrast greatly.
"Shut the fuck up!"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Tiff

magnolia. you want 13 conversations to have the same editing as magnolia. the themes in each movie are obviously different, so of course the two films are going to contrast greatly.

my opinion has nothing to do with magnolia -- i think the script is good and could've used a more dynamic director.

Mesh

Quote from: mACgUFFIN
I agree. Just because a film has multiple storylines where the lives intersect, it doesn't automatically mean it's a "Magnolia" rip-off. In that case, you might as well compare it to "Short Cuts".

In this very thread, I've compared it to both, I believe.

Mesh

Quote from: Tiff

No, I really just would've liked the screenplay to have been less cliche-ridden and for the direction to have some kind of personality, not necessarily that of PTA.

Mesh

my opinion has a good deal to do with magnolia -- i think the script is half-baked and unoriginal and the film could've used a more dynamic director.