Magnolia and Boogie Nights also coming to Blu-ray before end of '09

Started by depooter, April 27, 2009, 06:14:53 PM

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

mogwai

Magnolia looks the best out of the two movies in Blu-ray, picture wise. I have to judge it more when it's released though. Now it's only Hard Eight left that I wish was upgraded. :yabbse-undecided: PDL isn't that appealing but maybe I'll change my mind if there's someone here who thinks it's a worthy purchase.

Alexandro

Quote from: Mogwai on January 16, 2010, 01:45:26 PM
Magnolia looks the best out of the two movies in Blu-ray, picture wise. I have to judge it more when it's released though. Now it's only Hard Eight left that I wish was upgraded. :yabbse-undecided: PDL isn't that appealing but maybe I'll change my mind if there's someone here who thinks it's a worthy purchase.

PDL is the one with the best / most unique cinematography and sound design.

mogwai

Quote from: Alexandro on January 16, 2010, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: Mogwai on January 16, 2010, 01:45:26 PM

PDL is the one with the best / most unique cinematography and sound design.

That was almost what I thought too, glad it was confirmed. :yabbse-smiley:

Alexandro

in fact with time i'm getting increasingly inclined to believe Punch Drunk Love is his best film.

RegularKarate

I watched parts of the Boogie Blu-ray yesterday and it looks great.  I wish I had had time to watch the whole thing... made me remember how much I loved it.

polkablues

I'm not that blown away with the quality of the blu-ray, actually.  The image was good but not great, and the audio seemed really muddy at times.  It's still Boogie Nights on blu-ray, but I didn't think it was that big of a step up from the DVD.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on January 18, 2010, 03:24:43 PM
I'm not that blown away with the quality of the blu-ray, actually.  The image was good but not great, and the audio seemed really muddy at times.  It's still Boogie Nights on blu-ray, but I didn't think it was that big of a step up from the DVD.

I don't really have a decent enough sound system to judge based on the sound (which was great compared to how I watched it previous).

The picture looked great to me, but really I didn't watch a lot.  Too bad.

Still... Boogie Nights on Blu-Ray.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

so the maggie blu ray doesn't hav the outtakes after the colour bars?

link above says no easter eggs.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ρ on January 20, 2010, 06:46:03 PM
so the maggie blu ray doesn't hav the outtakes after the colour bars?

link above says no easter eggs.

Nope. There aren't even color bars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Amazon has Magnolia on Blu-Ray for $14.50 right now. Do you think it's worth upgrading at that price?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

socketlevel

if you live in toronto (and i'm assuming ontario/canada) HMV and Best Buy have been having a 3 pack special Magnolia/Boogie Nights/Eternal Sunshine for 30 bucks. I think it's an Alliance/Atlantis promotion.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Finally bought Boogie Nights and Magnolia on blu-ray and they arrived last night so I watched them both until 6am. Gorgeous. I hadn't watched Magnolia in its entirety in years and I think I see all its faults now. The Wise Up scene in particular is pretty bad. Watching it, I was reminded of all the things I loved and would think about for so long. The opening is so great. I watched the trailer a few times too. Still my favorite trailer of all time.

Boogie Nights is still flawless. I want to find that part in the commentary where they talk about the time Burt Reynolds punched PTA in the face and broke his glasses. I remember PTA trying to change the subject when that was brought up. Am I imagining things?

I can't wait for PDL to come out on blu-ray. I'm surprised it hasn't yet.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.