Judd Apatow

Started by modage, December 12, 2005, 12:30:16 PM

MacGuffin

Apatow developing Pee-wee Herman pic
Reubens is writing script with thesp-scribe Rust
Source: Variety

The Pee-wee Herman revival is extending all the way to the multiplex.

Judd Apatow is developing an untitled Pee-wee Herman feature for Universal that Paul Reubens is writing with thesp-scribe Paul Rust ("Inglourious Basterds," "I Love You, Beth Cooper"). Apatow will produce through his Apatow Prods. banner, though he will not helm the project. Pic is described as featuring the iconic geek -- known for his love of toys and nerdy catchphrases like "I know you are but what am I?" -- in a road pic built around "a gigantic adventure."

"Let's face it, the world needs more Pee-wee Herman," Apatow told Daily Variety. "I am so excited to be working with Paul Reubens -- who is an extraordinary and groundbreaking actor and writer. It's so great to watch him return with such relevance."

The partnership came about after Apatow saw Reubens' recent "Pee-wee Herman Show" revival at the Nokia Theater, where it played to packed houses in January and February. The show is bound for a 10-week stint on Broadway at the Stephen Sondheim Theater starting Oct. 26.

Reubens said he was incredibly gratified by Apatow's interest in collaborating on a pic.

"There is no one like Judd in our business -- he loves comedy with emotion and heart, and he sees what we do as art," Reubens said. "I can't believe I'm getting this opportunity to be working with him."

During the past year, Reubens has successfully resurrected the character he first introduced in L.A.'s theater and club scene in the late 1970s and early '80s, when he was a member of the Groundlings comedy troupe.

After an HBO spesh and numerous appearances as Pee-wee Herman on "Late Night with David Letterman," Reubens' scored at the B.O. in 1985 with the Warner Bros. pic "Pee-wee's Big Adventure," helmed by Tim Burton in his feature directing debut. The success of the pic led Reubens to land the CBS Saturday morning show "Pee-wee's Playhouse," which ran from 1986-90.

Reubens' career ascent came to a sudden halt in 1991 when he was arrested for indecent exposure in Florida.

Amid the fallout from the incident, Reubens focused on acting gigs outside of his Herman persona. He has said that the Pee-wee revival was spurred by the fact that "Pee-wee's Playhouse" and the 1985 pic remain popular among adults and kids born long after the first wave of Pee-wee Herman.

The ardor for all things Pee-wee was on display last Saturday during the Los Angeles Film Fest screening of "Pee-wee's Big Adventure," which played to a sold-out, family-friendly crowd at the Orpheum Theater. Reubens spent more than an hour fielding questions and expressions of devotion from squealing fans.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

HBO Gives Judd Apatow and Lena Dunham the Greenlight for Female-Centric Comedy
Source: Collider

I'd love to call this Judd Apatow's return to television nearly a decade after Undeclared and Freaks and Geeks lasted just one season apiece.  But as the saying goes, it's not TV, it's HBO.  Apatow has put his clout behind a comedy pilot from newly minted indie darling Lena Dunham, whose Tiny Furniture was deemed the best feature at South by Southwest.  The untitled series will follow "the assorted humiliations and rare triumphs of a group of girls in their early twenties."  Ms. Dunham likewise plans produce, direct, and star in the relatively autobiographical series.

Per Deadline, Apatow has only the highest of praise for Dunham,

"Lena has a unique, truthful comic voice.  I am excited to work with her and learn from her."

After various accusations of misogyny, Apatow seems intent on increasing the female quotient on his development slate: Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph star in the wedding comedy Bridesmaids (scripted by Wiig), while wife Leslie Mann is at the center of Business Trip.

The move to join forces with Dunham seems wise enough, given their shared interest in "emerging adulthood."  She's an up-and-comer with just the right amount of buzz — registers on the scene, but the hype is far from overwhelming.  I can't claim I've heard of her before researching this article.

From the looks of the trailer to Tiny Furniture... I have a bit of an aversion to twentysomething navelgazing, so it's probably not for me.  But I can see what all the (muted) fuss is about, and hope for good things from this series.  We need more female voices on television, particularly in comedy.  Just get Greta Gerwig (Greenberg) and Kat Dennings (Thor) on board as the friends, and we've got a gang worthy of weekly viewing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

If anyone here can get their hands on a copy of "Tiny Furniture", you should watch it immediately.

modage

Judd Apatow's next project will see Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd reprise their "Knocked Up" roles in an untitled laffer set for summer 2012.
Source: Variety

Apatow will write and direct the film, the first he's helmed since 2009's "Funny People." Apatow, Barry Mandel and Clayton Townsend will produce.

In "Knocked Up," Mann played Katherine Heigl's older sister, who is married to Rudd's character. Plot details are vague, and it's not clear whether Heigl or Seth Rogen would reprise their roles from 2007's "Knocked Up," one of Apatow's biggest successes with $200 million in worldwide box office.

Universal will distribute, and production will begin this summer for a June 1, 2012, release.

Mann and Rudd have had supporting roles in nearly every film Apatow has directed (Rudd was not in "Funny People") and have appeared in numerous pics he has produced.

Rudd will be seen next in "Wanderlust" and "My Idiot Brother," the latter of which premieres at Sundance. Mann has a handful of projects due out in 2011 including "The Change-Up" with Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman. Mann is repped by CAA and Rudd and Apatow are repped by UTA.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

Wasn't PTA an editing advisor on Funny People?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

ElPandaRoyal

Yeah, I remember reading about that. And he gets a special thanks on the end credits.
Si

Reel

guarantee Sandler pulled out the rolodex after the first rough cut "Now this guy knows how to make me look funny."

Quote from: MrBurgerKing on May 09, 2012, 11:57:33 PM
I re-watched funny people and it is a great film for editors to watch and learn about cutting. so much of that couldve been shredded out, you watch it and say 'that scene should be in a canister somewhere,' nearly every other scene... or re-arrange that, trim that. it is hard to understand how oblivious filmmakers can be about their own work.

I forgot what thread this was and thought you were talking about Funny Games for a second...wanted to punch you in the face  :)

MacGuffin

Judd Apatow's Next Directorial Effort Is Amy Schumer's 'Train Wreck'
Source: Playlist

At the end of the summer, news surfaced that Universal had snapped up a script by comedian Amy Schumer that she was writing as a star vehicle for herself, with Judd Apatow producing. And it was interesting, but not exactly monumental news, as Apatow often puts his weight behind rising comic talent (he's a producer on Lena Dunham's "Girls," for example). But it looks like that producing gig has turned into his next directorial project.

THR reveals that Apatow and Schumer are now taking meetings with potential actors for "Train Wreck." Though it's broad strokes at the moment, the story will center on a woman who's a "basket case," played by Schumer, who is trying to rebuild her life, with a boyfriend, parent and best friend all in the mix of characters she's dealing with. And that's really all that's known at the moment. It's an interesting move for Apatow as it will be his first film as a director centered entirely (presumably) on a woman, which could be a nice change of pace from his usually more bro-tacular outings (though "This Is 40" was attempt to do something a bit more mature).

It seems casting has been going on all month, so we'd reckon after the Thanksgiving holiday there may be more solid word on the project as it continues to gear up. A new Apatow movie by the end of 2014? It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Skeleton FilmWorks