(Wes Anderson) JD Salinger Parallels

Started by AntiDumbFrogQuestion, July 09, 2003, 04:11:29 PM

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Now, there's a Paul Thomas Anderson page with the same deal going down, but I find it more appropriate to see what parallels people are drawing to the writing of JD Salinger over in Wes-land.

I've read Catcher in the Rye, Nine Stories and just finished Franny and Zooey and can point out VERY obvious homages/stolen things in the Wes Anderson films. But first, let's see what every one else comes up with!

Also, are there any other authors/filmmakers he borrows directly from?
I personally find that if you want to make a movie based on one of your favorite books that the author won't let get made into a movie, what Wes Anderson has come up with works rather well. Making it both his own and somebody elses.

Now go ahead. Discuss!

Ernie

Here's is the ultimate wes anderson influences resource....

http://www.wesanderson.org/favorites.html

He's definitely got some good taste.

dufresne

i could be totally wrong, but i think he mentions that he based the 'look' of Rushmore on the 'Life and Death of Col. Blimp'...

and i like that one quote:

favorite/influential cinematographers.

Robert Yeoman

hehe...
There are shadows in life, baby.

pete

wasn't mama glass's last name Tenenbaum or a variation of that spelling?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Aight, here's alot o' what I picked up on (in no particular order):

-BooBoo Glass' married name is Tanenbaum (Down by the Dinghy)
-When Zooey Glass is bathing, there are numerous references to his smoking and the radiator, not to mention his mother comes into the bathroom to talk to him. (Franny and Zooey). I see an obvious Margot and Ethel parallel. Also, part of their time in the bathroom centers around Zooey's problems with a razor, which sorta made me think of the suicide scene in Tenenbaums.
-Private schools attended by main characters in both Catcher in the Rye and Rushmore
-The scene where Holden sneaks into his house in "Catcher" and catches up with his little sister is reflected when Anthony visits his little sister in Bottle Rocket.
-Holden from "Catcher" visits a history museum in NY, while Margot and Richie run away  to the museum.
-Holden and Max both have red hunting hats (or maybe I'm just foolin' myself there)

I can't think of anything else right now. I know that Salinger has created many more dark moments than Anderson, so it's hard to get anywhere with the bleaker of the short stories.

(is bleaker a word??)

Sleuth

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionwhile Margot and Richie run away  to the museum.
but isn't that from that one book with Basil in the title that I can't remember
I like to hug dogs

sexterossa

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionAight, here's alot o' what I picked up on (in no particular order):

-BooBoo Glass' married name is Tanenbaum (Down by the Dinghy)
-When Zooey Glass is bathing, there are numerous references to his smoking and the radiator, not to mention his mother comes into the bathroom to talk to him. (Franny and Zooey). I see an obvious Margot and Ethel parallel. Also, part of their time in the bathroom centers around Zooey's problems with a razor, which sorta made me think of the suicide scene in Tenenbaums.
-Private schools attended by main characters in both Catcher in the Rye and Rushmore
-The scene where Holden sneaks into his house in "Catcher" and catches up with his little sister is reflected when Anthony visits his little sister in Bottle Rocket.
-Holden from "Catcher" visits a history museum in NY, while Margot and Richie run away  to the museum.
-Holden and Max both have red hunting hats (or maybe I'm just foolin' myself there)

I can't think of anything else right now. I know that Salinger has created many more dark moments than Anderson, so it's hard to get anywhere with the bleaker of the short stories.

(is bleaker a word??)

uh, a family of geniuses in the Glass family
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: sexterossa

uh, a family of geniuses in the Glass family

Uh, I expect that maybe I wouldn't point out the obvious and trust people to not be that stupid to not observe two families of geniuses if they're familiar with both Wes Anderson and JD Salinger, thank you.

Sleuth

Anti, you have too much faith in me
I like to hug dogs

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: tremoloslothAnti, you have too much faith in me

yeah, yer right tremolo  :-D

my computer skills suck too.

md

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionwhile Margot and Richie run away  to the museum.
but isn't that from that one book with Basil in the title that I can't remember

from the mixed up files of mrs basil e frankwieler

i remmeber reading that book as a kid and really really enjoying it...i wish iread more
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Sigur Rós

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionNow, there's a Paul Thomas Anderson page with the same deal going down, but I find it more appropriate to see what parallels people are drawing to the writing of JD Salinger over in Wes-land.

I've read Catcher in the Rye, Nine Stories and just finished Franny and Zooey and can point out VERY obvious homages/stolen things in the Wes Anderson films. But first, let's see what every one else comes up with!

Also, are there any other authors/filmmakers he borrows directly from?
I personally find that if you want to make a movie based on one of your favorite books that the author won't let get made into a movie, what Wes Anderson has come up with works rather well. Making it both his own and somebody elses.

Now go ahead. Discuss!

I constanly thought about Rushore while reading The Cather in the Rye.