Flaming Lips

Started by Plagiarhythm, March 05, 2003, 08:25:20 PM

squints

got it from itunes...strange, very different indeed...no acoustic guitar? It has a classic rock feel to it which is weird, but I have to say I enjoyed Mr. Ambulance Driver upon first listen more than i did this. After hearing this and that song from the recent video (You've got to hold on? is that the name?) I'm incredibly curious and maybe a little worried as to what this new album is going to sound like. But it definitely already promises to be something innovative at least for what the lips have already established. Simpler maybe?

what's simple about the Flaming Lips anyway?

EDIT: Upon about 20 more listens throughout the day...this song definitely rocks
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Now we have this, the official tracklist for At War With the Mystics, due out April 4 on Warner Bros. Records. Just take a peek below for more glimmers of violence. Rebellions? Most assuredly violent. More references to ambulances and their drivers? Violence implied. Pompeii? Totally decimated by a violent volcano, dudes. See for yrself:

01 The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
02 Free Radicals
03 The Sound of Failure/It's Dark...Is It Always This Dark??
04 My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion
05 Vein of Stars
06 The Wizard Turns On...
07 It Overtakes Me/The Stars Are So Big, I Am So Small...Do I Stand a Chance?
08 Mr. Ambulance Driver
09 Haven't Got a Clue
10 The W.A.N.D.
11 Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung
12 Goin' On

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was about to pick up Void that DVD of their videos, but I've only ever seen the Do Your Realize?? video.  I figure I'd enjoy seeing these videos as a new experience, but I'd like to know if anyone has it, and what it's like.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

squints

i wasn't aware there was a videos dvd...but if anyone hasn't seen the Fearless Freaks they should check it out immediately
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

for anybody in nyc, tickets just went on sale for two nights at webster hall. i picked up my tickets for friday, march 31st.

and the opening act is the pink mountaintops

Reinhold

Quote from: meatwad on March 01, 2006, 11:41:19 AM
for anybody in nyc, tickets just went on sale for two nights at webster hall. i picked up my tickets for friday, march 31st.

and the opening act is the pink mountaintops

FUCK.

sold out. :yabbse-cry:
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

meatwad

saw them last night, for their first show of a two night run at webster hall. the show was amazing, starting off with a sexy set from the pink mountaintops. great band on record, and an even better record live. then the lips came on and tore the place down. i've never seen them before, so i was not fully prepared for the full on visual assault they give you.

they played some new ones including "free radicals", "yeah yeah yeah song" and "the w.a.n.d", as well as the usual "race for the prize" "do you realize", "she don't use jelly", etc. they encore ended with their cover of "war pigs" they have been doing for some time.

instead of the people dressed up as animals, they were now dressed up as jesus and santa. i think most of the pink mountaintops were dressed up.

all in all well worth it, and now i know why people were buying tickets for $200 outside the venue

mogwai

ooff! stay tuned for next week when we continue our spine chilling adventure with "garam's record of the week".

squints

Quote from: Garam on April 02, 2006, 01:41:30 PM
I just found the pink robots album on here - my brother must have downloaded it. It's pretty nice, but some of the lyrics are retarded.

'Do you realise everyone you know will die?'

Really? Hot damn, thanks for breaking the news to me man. I'll go and inform the village people. That song stinks of contrived profoundness, but it just comes across as pretentious and silly. Also (it's petty, I know), but the two question marks irritate me further. It's not bad enough that he's pointing out the obvious, but the extra question mark is implying that he's had a masterstroke and he's about to enlighten you.

My next step will be to buy download the soft bulletin so that I can join in the people at my college who talk about how great it is every single day.

:yabbse-angry: don't bad mouth the lips.

RegularKarate

I think Garam is confused about what "Simplistic" is.

Pubrick

Quote from: Garam on April 02, 2006, 01:41:30 PM
My next step will be to buy download the soft bulletin so that I can join in the people at my college who talk about how great it is every single day.
i get it now. see i thought you were over that, the whole "you guys are this and i'm against all that you guys are cos you are all the same and i see through the bullshit". now i see the gervais thing as an extension of that same hang up you have with anything anyone else likes, or your perception of what everyone else is.

i'd still like to believe you have moved on from that phase. and advise you to stick with what you know, that is british tv. cos i think you're right about the gervais thing, even if you showed your hang-up again the second you revealed your assumptions about what everyone in america thinks of chappelle: yet another perceived "you guys all" mentality, which counts for everything apparently. you just don't know what you're talking about here, i think your judgment has been clouded.

Do You Realize is actually quite brilliant, as is the soft bulletin, regardless of what they -- the douche bags who beat you up every day -- say.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: Garam on April 03, 2006, 09:53:34 AM
I was just having a lighthearted joke, chill the fuck out. Jesus.
you gotta work on your comedy skills.

QuoteDo You Realize is actually quite brilliant
Oh! Thanks for telling me where I went wrong. Sorry for comitting the heinous crime of expressing an opinion on a public message board.
that's weird how you replied to the same thing twice.  :yabbse-huh:

You assumed I was being iconoclastic and you 'like to believe i have moved on that from phase', yet you're in your early twenties and you get your knickers all in a twist just because my opinion clashes with yours.
were you going somewhere with that comparison? i must've missed the point. i understand you are constantly on edge from all the beatings you get everyday, i don't blame you for thinking everyone is freaking out. i'm sure tomoro when your teeth are getting kicked in (god knows for what) you won't be wrong in assuming that person needs to "chill the fuck out", in this case you are mistaken.
under the paving stones.

diggler

so what are your thoughts on AWWTM? i'm looking for a second opinion
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty