The Jacket

Started by MacGuffin, January 17, 2005, 06:36:03 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: March 4th, 2005

Cast: Adrien Brody (Jack Starks), Keira Knightley (Jackie), Daniel Craig (Mackenzie), Kris Kristofferson (Dr. Becker), Jennifer Jason Leigh (Dr. Lorenson), Kelly Lynch (Jean), Mackenzie Phillips (Nurse Harding), Brad Renfro (The Stranger), Jake Broder (Dr. Morgan), Jason Lewis (Cop), Ian Porter (Major), Tara Summers (Nina)

Director: John Maybury (Love is the Devil)

Screenwriter: Marc Rocco (Murder in the First; cowriter of Dream a Little Dream, Where the Day Takes You); rewrite by Massy Tadjedin (cowriter of Leopold Bloom)

Premise: A clairvoyant Gulf War veteran (Brody), wrongly imprisoned for murder after he returns home to Vermont, must use his abilities to discover who has framed him, by shifting in and out of different realities, time, and frames of mind. He can tell when and how he will be executed, so the race is on to prolong his life to give him more time to solve the mystery...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

That could look good if they didn't try to make it look all edgy and shit.

and can anyone take Kris Kristofferson seriously as an actor anymore?  I just laugh when I hear him talk.

Pedro

JACK STARKS..IS DEAD

so this has potential to be ok.  and yeah, i really hope all the crazy editing is just for the trailer and not the movie.

also, the last 20 seconds or so of the trailer are hilarious.

matt35mm

I think this doesn't even look like it has the potential to be okay.

So, he has sex (apparently) with someone who he met when she was a little girl.  That's a little strange.  I mean, yeah she grows up to be Keira Knightley, but you don't go "I remember when you were only six years old," and then stick it in her.  Especially when they seem to have more important matters to get to.  I'm all for movies about sex, but I don't like when sex scenes are added into a movie about some murder mystery identity crisis mix-up.

"Oh you have my dog tags so that must mean you're the little girl who... DAMN you fine!"   <--- that's what I would've written if I were writing the movie.

Ghostboy

I think the trailer is pretty lame, but I really liked John Maybury's Love Is The Devil, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Stefen

Is Keira Knightley ready for the primetime? I do not think so. She needs to get over those bulimic anorexic tendencies and put that junk in the trunk. THEN SHE WILL BE COMPLETE.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

I get it now...Jack...the Jacket.
Why do they think a good trailer for a thriller must have those sharp cuts with the suspense sounds: GGGEENT...GGGEENT....GGGEEN GGGEN GGGENT!?

grand theft sparrow

From the writers who saw Jacob's Ladder and 12 Monkeys...

This is going to make much more money than it deserves.  And did Keira Knightley watch Fight Club a lot in preparation for this movie? She looks like Helena Bonham Carter.

Quote from: POZERGGGEENT...GGGEENT....GGGEEN GGGEN GGGENT!?

Best onomatopoeia ever.

MacGuffin

Quote from: hacksparrowShe looks like Helena Bonham Carter.

She wishes... and wishes she had Carter's talent too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

God, this is a toughie.

It really could be a good movie but knowing hollywood, it's probably dumbed down an aweful lot.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: RegularKarateand can anyone take Kris Kristofferson seriously as an actor anymore?  I just laugh when I hear him talk.

I still give KK lots of credit, based off Lone Star.

pete

whoa, the donnie butterfly effect.  with a few Avril Lavignes.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

So yes, this is Twelve Monkeys meets Donnie Darko with a touch of Jacob's Ladder. It's not bad, but it's not very good either - consistently watchable, with mostly good performances (Brody in particular, and Knightley intermittently) and good direction (Maybury is an art film director and it shows) and, unfortunately, a very weak script.

Kiera gets naked, though, if you care about that sort of thing.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyKiera gets naked, though, if you care about that sort of thing.
she's got nothing to show, so it's really a moot point.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

It's not what you got but how you flaunt it.