Hide And Seek

Started by MacGuffin, October 21, 2004, 09:28:32 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: January 28th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Robert De Niro (Dr. David Callaway), Dakota Fanning (Emily Callaway), Famke Janssen (Katherine), Dylan Baker (Sheriff Hafferty), Robert John Burke (Steven), Josh Flitter, Alicia Harding, Amy Irving (Alison), Melissa Leo (Laura), James McCaffrey, Elisabeth Shue

Director: John Polson (Swimfan)

Screenwriter: Ari Schlossberg

Premise: A father discovers his 9 year-old daughter has come up with an unexpected and terrifying way of dealing with her mother's death through an imaginary friend. The daughter has come up with an imaginary friend named Charlie, and the girl's father soon realizes that Charlie isn't make believe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

it actually looks like a pretty decent thriller. de niro looks good, dakota looks good. yeha, i like her better when she's blonde
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

The release date on the poster says it all.

matt35mm

Quote from: GhostboyThe release date on the poster says it all.
I agree.  This'll blow.

I dunno, man, the trailer makes the movie look totally unoriginal.  I feel like I've seen this movie before.  I'm SURE that there are a few movies just like this (move to the middle of nowhere, kid makes an imaginary friend, older single father finds hot young tail, people die) already.

modage

Fox Ships Hide and Seek Without Final Reel
Source: 20th Century Fox January 25, 2005

For the first time in its illustrious 70-year history, 20th Century Fox will be shipping prints of a motion picture to theaters across the nation without the picture's final reel. The unprecedented move is part of a major effort to protect the pay-off of the studio's terrifying suspense-thriller Hide and Seek, starring Robert De Niro and Dakota Fanning.

Fox has taken extraordinary measures to safeguard the critical final reel, which is shipping separately. In addition to shipping the reel separately, security guards will hand-deliver the reel to all playdate theaters across the U.S. As a final security measure, Fox has numbered all final reels.

Hide and Seek opens nationwide this Friday, January 28.

Commented Fox executive VP and general sales manager Richard Myerson: "'Hide and Seek' is a terrific picture with an ending that everyone will be talking about. To ensure everyone's enjoyment of the film and to prevent 'spoilers', we've instituted extraordinary measures. We think it's worth the effort."

Hide and Seek, rated "R" for frightening sequences and violence, is about a widowed father who desperately tries to break through to his nine year old daughter when she creates a creepy, maniacal "imaginary" friend with a terrifying vendetta. The film also stars Famke Janssen, Elisabeth Shue, Amy Irving and Dylan Baker. It is directed by John Polson, produced by Barry Josephson, and written by Ari Schlossberg.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sickfins

all i could think of when i heard that news was of a team of ninjas taking down an armored van with the last reel so they can go watch it themselves.  seriously what the fuck does fox think they're trying to pull with their mysterious final reel bullshit

ps how many ninjas can you find?  there are lots

Myxo

I count 7 ninjas! There could be more inside the van though.

I rule.

sickfins

there are more than seven.  all ninjas are visible, there are no ninjas in the van yet.

Ghostboy

It looked like there was a ninja driving to me, making eight. Plus one or two in the explosion, I imagine.

Anyway, this is a clever tactic on Fox's part to draw attention away from the fact that they're not screening the film for critics. Unless they did screen it for critics, in which case it's just a big lie. Unless they screened it for critics with a different ending.

cine

Quote from: GhostboyIt looked like there was a ninja driving to me, making eight.
but he said theres no ninjas in the van yet.

i think i can count the number of ninjas if i had about 12 more hands.. am i getting warm?

sickfins

10 actual ninjas

just look at the same place in the original, they're there

Jeremy Blackman

That just blew my mind.

Myxo

No fair!

Fire, wheel and building ninjas were hidden.

:yabbse-thumbdown:

Stefen

lol@the white ninja on the white background. sickfins, you truly are the jester to xixax's king.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Finn

OK, just got back from this...It was pretty bad.

SPOILER ALERT!

The whole thing with DeNiro being the killer made no sense to me at all. I felt the same way Ebert did, the movie was just jerking my chain. It had a really intriguing first hour or so but then it goes way off. I felt like bursting out laughing with the "Marco" scene where DeNiro is about to attack the cop. Just before he smashes him, he yells "Polo!" BAM!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."