Mean Girls

Started by ono, April 03, 2004, 11:10:04 PM

ono

Don't see a topic for this, so here we go.

Saw a commercial on SNL that seemed to start out like a PSA or something, and then it turned out it was for this movie, Mean Girls.  Lacey Chabert is in it, all grown up after Party of Five.  Tina Fey also has a role in it, and she co-wrote the script.  (ATTN: SoNowThen.)  According to IMDb.com, Tim Meadows, Ana Gasteyer, and Amy Poehler are also in it.

I was just taken by the commercial, because it seemed to have this tongue-in-cheek thing going for of it that not a lot of teen movies do.  It started with Lacey talking about problems women face in the world, and they came back to home and how 7 out of 10 have a negative body image, and one of the girls butts in and says "So what?  6 out of 10 are right!"  Reminded me a bit of Clueless, or maybe Jawbreaker, which was horrible.  Maybe I'm thinking of Heathers, or something else.  So yeah, there you go.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fishbulb

Yeah, Tina Fey wrote the screenplay; as far as I know, she wrote it herself, although it is based on a (nonfiction) book about the way teenage girls are cruel to each other. The "negative body image line" is actually from a sketch Tina did with Rachel Dratch back when they were in Second City together. Rachel played Denise (the same character she plays on SNL- the sullen Boston teenager), and Fey was her disapproving mother. It's a funny line, that commercial made me laugh more than anything on last night's disappointing SNL.

cine

Quote from: FishbulbThe "negative body image line" is actually from a sketch Tina did with Rachel Dratch back when they were in Second City together. Rachel played Denise (the same character she plays on SNL- the sullen Boston teenager), and Fey was her disapproving mother.
I'm going to assume you heard that on the Second City disc from the hardcover book. Which is what I own as well.  :yabbse-thumbup:

I must see this movie.

SHAFTR

I saw this trailer...ughh.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pedro

could be great commentary on girls and such...and i trust fey's writing...i do think, though, that the material was handled in a bit too stylish of a manner.  but im judging from the trailer, so what do i know.

Ghostboy

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I'm sometimes a sucker for high school movies, but I think I can objectively say this is well above most in intelligence, thanks to the lovely Ms. Fey. It's well written, slightly unpredictable, and even when it starts to get into diatribe territory -- well, at least those scenes are played by Fey and Tim Meadows, who are both so funny that all was forgiven.  

It's pretty hysterical overall, actually, and the stuff involving Rachel McAdams family is pure gold.

It's not anything great or deep, obviously (I remember someone referencing it in the 'Thirteen' thread), but I think it should prove satisfactory for people who like their fluff with a bit of a bite to it.

Also, if anyone thinks the euphamism 'butter your muffin' seems oddly placed in the film, Tina Fey was on NPR and said that the MPAA made them loop that line because 'pop your cherry' was unacceptable for a PG-13 rating.

Fishbulb

Yeah, and "made out with a hotdog" was originally supposed to be "masturbated with a hotdog". "Made out" doesn't really make sense.

grand theft sparrow

But just picture that girl making out with a hot dog... that's funny.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to designing my Lindsay Lohan fan site.   :wink:

El Duderino

i went yesterday with my little sister and i actually enjoyed it a lot. sure there were bad moments (anything with the stupid blonde girl that's not Rachel McAdams) but overall i thought Tina Fey wrote a great script. I also really liked seeing Tim Meadows again, he was great as he principal. I went into it because my sister wanted to see it really bad and i didnt, and then we came out and she didnt like it and i did. anywho, i give this movie a 4 out of 5.
i think the thing i laughed most at was the kid's business card: "Math Enthusiast/Bad-Ass"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Banky

'Mean Girls' Tops Box Office With $25M

Maybe nice guys finish last, but "Mean Girls" came in first at the weekend box office. The comedy starring Lindsay Lohan as a student who gets swept up in the backstabbing politics of fashion, love and popularity among high school cliques earned $25 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Although it starred 17-year-old Lohan, the presence of "Saturday Night Live" star Tina Fey, who also wrote the screenplay, appealed to grown-up moviegoers. Overall, "Mean Girls" got its strength from girl power.

About 75 percent of the audience was female and about half the audience was under 18, said Wayne Lewellen, head of distribution for Paramount, which released the movie.

"The teenage girl audience has a lot of clout and a lot of discretionary income from somewhere. They've got a lot of fun money and go to see movies in groups," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

godardian

We saw this today. It's pretty pedestrian as a movie, but it's funny enough. I liked it a lot more than I liked the dumb teenage girls sitting behind us, who were loudly aghast and confused at the many exaggerated/incongruous/satirical moments. :-(   Lousy teens, ruining a teen movie for me. The best/funniest part for me were the observational/incisive humor, the stuff that worked satirically, and these girls were just loudly wondering what it all meant and giving their commentary on the characters' actions.

It's good to see Fey having a success with this one. A bonus for godardian: She's one of those girls who's down with the gays without over-depending upon/exploiting/patronizing us (like some girls who make some movies with titles like Connie and Carla), which I like. She's smart and funny, which is a cliche when mentioning her but which is really so unusual in this world that I think it bears repeating as a high compliment. I also Tivoed the Chris Rock special, which I'm projecting will also fit into that unique smart/funny category.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Finn

This was a pretty good movie overall. The actors are all good and the script has some good points to make and it's funny at the same time.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

so is this a Teen Movie disguised as a Smart Satire?  or a Smart Satire disguised as a Teen Movie?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02so is this a Teen Movie disguised as a Smart Satire?  or a Smart Satire disguised as a Teen Movie?
Don't worry about what you think it could be "disguised" as. I saw it last night and its a very good movie. Everything Ghostboy said is true. So let's say it's a smart, satirical teen movie that's entertaining for everybody.