129 DVDs You Must Own

Started by MacGuffin, April 17, 2005, 06:12:25 PM

pete

you really have 03 all wrong.  have you seen the movies on his list?  "above average efforts"?  you have the most obvious generic comments towards things you have not seen or have no understanding off.
try to go with "interesting, but derivative" next time.  that one is just starting to catch on so you can probably get some mileage on that one.  

Quote from: sundown all over03's list should be titled "Incredibly Random Movies To Own" if anything.

The biggest problem in 03's list is that it is hardly topical, unless 03's essential dvd list is a bunch of above average efforts sprinkled in with some underrated titles from stellar directors.  The list itself is not pretentious at all, it has not the talent to be so, but the fact that it is posted inside of this thread is incredibly pretentious.  Moreso, it is a lie of a list.  It is obviously tailored to impress its audience, from the "(not cc)" on Tin Drum to the inclusion of barely impressive titles like Rhinoceros, the list reeks of "I've been saving this list to put inside of a thread."

If you would argue that it is his honest list, I would argue that there is the notable pressence of esteemed directors.  It is always easier and perhaps more fun to love the lesser known titles, but hell, that should have its own thread.  You know what, Star Wars is an essential DVD goddamnit.  It just fucking is.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatball

Quote from: classical gasman, you guys are hostile.  what's the deal

:-D

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: peteyou really have 03 all wrong.  have you seen the movies on his list?  "above average efforts"?  you have the most obvious generic comments towards things you have not seen or have no understanding off.
try to go with "interesting, but derivative" next time.  that one is just starting to catch on so you can probably get some mileage on that one.  
It's like you already tried to call me out on this in the Bad Education thread and I replied with further information.

Have you seen the movies on his list?  I said there were some stellar efforts in there, but if you yourself can say to me "his list represents nothing but the best, the essential, of the directors and of the medium of film" then let's get into it pete, let's get into it for real.  If you say "it's his essential list" I will agree and say that it is pretentious to post it in here.

As for your trouble with my phraseology, I do believe that I was accused of attacking Gamblor based off assumptions.  It is called projection, you feal like a piece of critical writing only has validity if it penetrates the surface of the material and therefore cannot accept me as a worthwhile critic.  That's fine.  I am a general kind of guy, not even a critic, just a film lover.  But if you're going to follow me around this goddamn board and post everytime you see me post something that doesn't completely satisfy you well you can fuck yourself pete, you can fuck yourself and that big ass fucking horse.  This is absolutely the last time I will defend myself to your ass for no reason other than your standards of excellence were not met.  You are being a hypocrite by attempting to define yourself a freedom fighter when there are far more general posts made here all the time.  Whatever your beef is with me I'll let you know:  I am done.  You win.  Just get the fuck off my ass.

P.S.  "Interesting, but derivative" is just another way of saying "above average films."  I would say it is just as beaten as well.  Your example sucks.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

meatball

It really is like watching 20 wrestlers being thrown into a single cage, fending for themselves.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

People tend to confuse me for intense but I swear I'm not.  I mean I am, but I leave my work when I come home, you know.  I only eat my dinner in the kitchen.

It's all gravy.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pubrick

are u that chris dude from the apprentice?

whatever happened to anachronism anyway..
under the paving stones.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I haven't seen The Apprentice so I can't comment.  In my head I am going to say "He just said something flattering."

Gold Trumpet

I'm glad 03 does want to post his lists. Only having seen a handful of his films at best, he does represent a certain sect of the board. As far as pretensious....I don't know because I don't know him. There is more to film discussion than posting lists, but I believed him when he said he's not able to really "review" the films he loves. Its just I also can see why he did get a hard time on this specific thread. He not only tried to separate his taste from everyone else, but he posted something that really had nothing to do with the topic.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere is more to film discussion than posting lists, but I believed him when he said he's not able to really "review" the films he loves.

I can understand that.  It will be rare for you to see me reviewing a movie.  He must be emotional.  Actually from his list he obviously is and we probably actually have a lot in common.  Except I like Star Wars.

pete

you accused me of "following you around" and then told me to get off MY goddamn horse.  you came to this board and immediately started making assumptions that everyone here is a troll, lying to impress you with his taste/ hatred for films.  but I have to get off my goddamn horse.  I question your generic comments twice (not my fault; you were the one who made them)--and the first time you just confirmed your comment was generic by telling me you pulled it from a pamphlet, and this time, when I said that "above average effort" is just a dated version of the "interesting but derivative" line, you came back with "it's just another way of saying..." yeah that's what I just said, you polly want a cracker ass cracker.
it's a shame that this will be the last time you'll "defend" yourself 'cause I really enjoyed your defensively agreeing with everything I said.  I wonder what else do you and the new Iraqi puppet government have in common.

Quote from: sundown all over
As for your trouble with my phraseology, I do believe that I was accused of attacking Gamblor based off assumptions.  It is called projection, you feal like a piece of critical writing only has validity if it penetrates the surface of the material and therefore cannot accept me as a worthwhile critic.  That's fine.  I am a general kind of guy, not even a critic, just a film lover.  But if you're going to follow me around this goddamn board and post everytime you see me post something that doesn't completely satisfy you well you can fuck yourself pete, you can fuck yourself and that big ass fucking horse.  This is absolutely the last time I will defend myself to your ass for no reason other than your standards of excellence were not met.  You are being a hypocrite by attempting to define yourself a freedom fighter when there are far more general posts made here all the time.  Whatever your beef is with me I'll let you know:  I am done.  You win.  Just get the fuck off my ass.

P.S.  "Interesting, but derivative" is just another way of saying "above average films."  I would say it is just as beaten as well.  Your example sucks.
- Buster Keaton

UncleJoey

Both of their arguments are so well thought out, it's a shame they aren't debating something meaningful.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Pubrick

Quote from: peteyou came to this board and immediately started making assumptions that everyone here is a troll, lying to impress you with his taste/ hatred for films.
this part is true. it's a shame cos his first post was pretty good.
under the paving stones.

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: MeatballIt really is like watching 20 wrestlers being thrown into a single cage, fending for themselves.

Which is on one of MY "129 Must-Own DVDs," now that you mention it.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

pete

Quote from: MeatballIt really is like watching 20 wrestlers being thrown into a single cage, fending for themselves.

psst, cage wrestling is fake.
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

Quote from: sundown all overIf Gamblor and 03 is "everyone" then fine.

Everyone who matters.

Oooooooohhhhhhh.

Ain't that right 03? *high five*
WWPTAD?