Does PTA have a problem with...

Started by Link, February 07, 2003, 03:05:00 PM

Link

...fading in and fading out?

If you notice, all his movies CUT in, and end by CUTTING to black.  I think it's cool.  Just wondering if he just didn't like fading or something, cuz I know he uses fades DURING the movie, just not to begin or end.  Probably for effect.

neatahwanta

I'm sure early in the morning, strung out from a weekly binge, Paul fades in and out, eyes glossed over...a reddish tinge.

Cecil

Quote from: Link
If you notice, all his movies CUT in, and end by CUTTING to black.  

i guess he wants a more aggressive effect. fading to black is too smooth.

sphinx

Quote from: Link...fading in and fading out?

If you notice, all his movies CUT in, and end by CUTTING to black.  I think it's cool.  Just wondering if he just didn't like fading or something, cuz I know he uses fades DURING the movie, just not to begin or end.  Probably for effect.

there are plenty of movies that begin and end with mere cuts!  you must be mad, sir

Jake_82

Also, when you think about it all of his movies start with black screen and/or titles with some audio and then cut to a scene that continue the audio

Hard Eight: Black screen w/ titles and I'm not sure about this but dont we hear a  truck before it cuts to the cut going by?

Boogie Nights: Black screen w/ titles and music

Magnolia: Black screen and narraration before we see the three men hung

and didnt PDL start with a black screen and some background noise from the first scene?

...maybe I'm looking to hard
your reality is at the end of your dream

xerxes

i think PDL just started... nothing before hand

sphinx

there was no sound inbetween the columbia logo and the very first shot of barry, it was completely silent.  the first noise you hear is him adjusting the telephone..

Jon

I guess I got that from PTA, I never use fades or anything of that sort in my films, I don't have any problem with them though.

polkablues

Fades are the bane of my existence.  I've dedicated my life to the systematic hunting-down and throat-slitting of every one of them on this planet.

No, wait, I'm thinking of carnies.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

I hate fades too, I try to almost never use them. Also, when you're shooting on film and have no money, it's a good thing to plan your transitions without fades because opticals like that will cost a lot more if you ever get your negative cut.

Pedro

I don't like fades much at all but Fight Club used fades really well in the scene where Tyler is talking to a sleeping Ed Norton about something...can't remember it right now :oops: ... I think on the DVD they have a version of that scene without fades and it looks like shit.

picolas

i hate bias towards transitions regardless of where and when they're being used in a film. sometimes fades suck. sometimes they're the best possible things for a given moment. i've got a friend who HATES slow motion. every time they hear me mention the word they shudder. i think practically every transition/wipe...maybe not the star wipe...has its place somewhere...

Pedro

Quote from: picolasi hate bias towards transitions regardless of where and when they're being used in a film. sometimes fades suck. sometimes they're the best possible things for a given moment. i've got a friend who HATES slow motion. every time they hear me mention the word they shudder. i think practically every transition/wipe...maybe not the star wipe...has its place somewhere...
Excellent point.

sphinx

Quote from: picolasi've got a friend who HATES slow motion. every time they hear me mention the word they shudder.

fake slow motion sucks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: sphinxfake slow motion sucks

Moulin Rouge anyone?