Intonation/Pitchfork Music Festival(s)

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, July 09, 2005, 12:27:06 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://pitchforkmedia.com/

I'm going to that this weekend.  I will be a changed man.  I'm mostly excited for Magnolia Electric Co, Death from Above 1979, Decemberists, Xiu Xiu and Tortoise, but I'm still anxious to hear the others, too.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

w/o horse

Wouldn't this be the better link option:

http://intonationmusicfest.com/

Also, there isn't a single band playing in that festival that I don't like.  And $22 is such a good price.

If it wasn't on the other side of the country I'd go too.

Make sure you catch The Hold Steady's act.

And Deerhoof.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Losing the Horse:

Make sure you catch The Hold Steady's act.

And Deerhoof.

Done and done.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

I saw deerhoof at a little dorm house a few months ago at amherst college. It was really a hipster show cause everyone was excited to see them then when they started playing everyone was just talking and trying to act cool and noone could see the band. The lead singer is this tiny tiny asian lady. She was selling the merch at the door and I talked to her for a good 30 minutes then she took the stage and I was like "hah, weird" good people though. Musics alright.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just saw this, and I'm still blown away from it...

Magnolia Electric Co. was awesome... I almost met Jason Molina, but was too shocked to say something to him. I was able to compose myself when I met Death From Above 1979, since I wasn't going to allow myself to pass up meeting them.  Two great guys.  Their set was fucking badass, and I was right by the speaker for it.  I was also right by the speaker for Prefuse 73, which was amazing.  Four Tet had an awesome show.

Decemberists closed with Mariner's Revenge, which was good because I was a little irritated they didn't play it the whole show... and then BOOM!  They closed with it.  Pelican was also pretty good... I wasn't prepared for Deerhoof or Xiu Xiu, and I'm still not really sure if I like them or not.  

I'll put up pictures later, hopefully they'll turn out nicely.

modage

walrus i thought you were into like Rage Against the Machine?  when did you go all pitchfork indie?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm not sure how to exactly interpret that, but I'm into all sorts of music.  I really like all genres, but prefer the vanguards of those genres.  There's something unique about almost everyone, but I don't know... some just clicks more than others, you know?

I saw the Aquabats two weeks ago, saw Intonation, I'm going to see Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens, Nine Inch Nails and Mates of State by the end of the year, not counting any other concerts that may come my way.

Sometimes I'm afraid I just like music in general. .. then I turn on the radio, and realize how much I prefer the music I listen to instead.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Over the weekend I saw Pitchfork Music Festival, which was branched off from last year's Intontaion (Pitchfork sponsored Intonation, and I guess it made enough money for Intonation to do it by themselves, but Pitchfork decided to run their own as well... I opted for Pitchfork).  It was an amazing event (though it will be too soon if I see another grown man with a huge beard in obnoxious goggles, a shirt that's 4 sizes too small and short shorts).

There wasn't an act I didn't enjoy, and the DJ tent was much improved over last year where the DJ's would just spin records and we'd listen to stuff they've produced, this year they made beats live.  It was pretty badass.

My top 10 performances is something like...

10 - Os Mutantes
9 - Man Man
8 - Silver Jews
7 - Spoon
6 - Mission of Burma
5 - Tapes 'n' Tapes
4 - Devendra Banhart
3 - Band of Horses
2 - Danielson
1 - Mountain Goats

Honorable Mention: Aesop Rock f/ Mr. Lif

squints

Quote from: Walrus on July 31, 2006, 10:59:35 AM

2 - Danielson

I love those guys, I didn't see them in a festival atmosphere but they played in a very very tiny room with about 130 people present and they put on an amazing  show
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I missed last year's festival because I waited too long for the tickets, thinking that an outdoor venue wasn't likely to sell out (considering how many people were at the previous two), but alas it did.

So this time, I went cautiously and got the tickets as soon as they went on sale.  Plus, as they add bands, the prices are known to go up to pay for the acquisition of bands who demand more money.

As it is, I'm paying $65, for the 3 day pass.  The prices are going up, this is about the limit of how much I'm willing to spend, but for a 3 day pass of bands I'd already pay to see separately, this is a bargain.

The lineup looks beautiful now, and it's only primed to get better (as it usually does).

http://www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com/friday.php

(As of now)

Friday
---------
Public Enemy (performing all of It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back)

Saturday
---------
Animal Collective
!!!
Vampire Weekend
Dizzee Rascal
No Age
Atlas Sound
Fleet Foxes

Sunday
---------
Spiritualized
M. Ward
Boris
Extra Golden
El Guincho

Right now I'm most pumped about Boris, Animal Collective and Dizzee Rascal, unless they actually have every member of Public Enemy return for the show.  Then that will overshadow the following two days.

Anyone else in Xixax going to this fine event?

Stefen

$65 for a three day pass is a fucking steal. I'd pay $100. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go since it's on the other side of the country.

I'd like to see Spiritualized. That should be killer.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Whoa whoa whoa.

The lineup for Pitchfork has been updated.  Prepare to salivate.

Friday, July 18:

Pitchfork Music Festival and All Tomorrow's Parties
present "Don't Look Back" Public Enemy performing
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

* Mission of Burma performing Vs. *
+ one more to be announced

Saturday, July 19:
Animal Collective
* Jarvis Cocker *
!!!
Vampire Weekend
Dizzee Rascal
Fleet Foxes
No Age
* Jay Reatard *
* King Khan & His Shrines *

Atlas Sound
* The Ruby Suns *
* A Hawk and a Hacksaw *
* Occidental Brothers Dance Band International *

+ many more!

Sunday, July 20:
* Dinosaur Jr. *
Spiritualized
M. Ward
* Ghostface and Raekwon *
* The Apples in Stereo *

Boris
* Dirty Projectors *
* Cut Copy *

Extra Golden
El Guincho
* Fuck Buttons *
+ many more!

Stefen

Sunday, July 20th (my fucking birthday) looks amazing.

I'm envious of you, Walrus.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You should come.

Unless Chicago is way out of the way for you.

But the ticket price should adjust the travel price so that it wouldn't be too expensive.

Stefen

I wish. I have too much work here. Hopefully it's annual and I can plan for it next year.