127 Hours

Started by modage, August 24, 2010, 04:38:03 PM

modage

127 HOURS is the new film from Danny Boyle, the Academy Award winning director of last year's Best Picture, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. 127 HOURS is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued. Throughout his journey, Ralston recalls friends, lovers (Clemence Poesy), family, and the two hikers (Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara) he met before his accident. Will they be the last two people he ever had the chance to meet? A visceral thrilling story that will take an audience on a never before experienced journey and prove what we can do when we choose life.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/127hours/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

That actually looks... pretty fucking amazing.

mogwai

Who gives a shit? He chopped his fucking arm off... end of story.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

The trailer is good and I could watch a movie about a dude who chops his arm off, but this copy is terrible.

"A visceral, thrilling story that will take an audience on a never-before-experienced journey and prove what we can do when we choose life[?????] to live?"
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

You guys are getting it really wrong lately. Spruiking Scott Pilgrim which turns out to be borderline shit and totally overlooking one of the brilliant films of our time like The Social Network.

This is another case where it was never in doubt that the film would be great. The story is about as riveting as true stories get and it's by someone who has always made GOOD movies. Forget the Oscar taint and Danny Boyle is just a good picker of stories. His premises don't always pan out in the final act but it's usually a great film until then.

This story is amazing to hear from the horse's mouf, if you remember the media blitz he did years ago you'd know the story has a classic three act structure with THREE seemingly insurmountable challenges (the later two made epic due to his delirious state).

I was the one who talked a lot of shit about Into the Wild based on the premise and the unreadability of the book, only to have my ass kicked by the film itself. Don't make the same mistake I did.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Boyle's style is becoming less and less interesting to me over the years, and this trailer doesn't do much to change my opinion. I'll probably see it, as it can only become a positive surprise.
Si

©brad

Whattt? That trailer was sick. Third act craziness aside, I will always line up for Boyle. There's no way you can look me in the eyes and say some of those shots didn't get you cinecock hard.

Pubrick

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on August 25, 2010, 07:50:15 AM
Boyle's style is becoming less and less interesting to me over the years

what style are you talking about exactly? the occasional use of dutch angles?

if you mean the way the trailer is cut, that's just to make the most of his recent success and to make it look like a really exciting film (which it probably will be) and not one where the dude is just stuck in a hole for an hour and a half. i can't really think of what the Danny Boyle style would be, if anything he is actually known for not having one. he's not an auteur in the classic sense, he doesn't make the same film every time. he could be closest compared to Robert Wise, who was never really celebrated for being a visionary director in the Kubrick sense but well and truly made great films consistently throughout his career.

he's a master craftsman but he doesn't really have anything amounting to a "style". other than being interested in fun looking movies.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

To both P and ©brad: Yes, the trailer seems to have some fine shots, but the way it's edited, mostly in the beginning, reminded me of his latest taste for quick cutting his way out of everything. I know it's a trailer, edited by someone in the marketing department, but seriously, how many shots and cuts can you have of someone riding a bike in the desert? It almost doesn't even allow us to look at the landscapes which are certainly a big part of this man's passion to explore. I'm not saying the movie is going to be like this, because I haven't seen it yet, but the editing style of the trailer reminded me a lot of his most recent stuff. I mean, look at Slumdog Millionaire and the amount of unnecessary cutting there, and the will to just be fast, and cool and pacey. The first thing I always remember about that movie is one of the flashbacks when his village is under attack and he sees that blue kid/god/whatever - it's an editing mess, all over the place. And I certainly feel that's part of a style he's been developing lately and was very present in Millions or the bad parts of Sunshine. While I think some of his crazy stuff works in Trainspotting, 28 Days Later or even The Beach or Shallow Grave, due to the nature of the movies, it on the other hand completely ruined Millions, Slumdog and Sunshine to me (especially the last one, where the pace is completely changed in the final act, coming out of nowhere). Again, I stress that after a mere trailer we can't really say much, but yeah, Boyle's last three movies have disappointed me and mostly due to his choices as a filmmaker.
Si

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Trailer almost made me cry.   :cry:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jerome

Band of Horses' The Funeral does that to you.

Pozer

it's that damn overdone song.

edit: me n jerome were brainsynced.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.