Started by Rudie Obias, August 01, 2004, 09:43:18 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenI must have posted on this a while back, about being underwhelmed by 2046... I was so dead wrong (for the first time ever, crazy).

It's a beautiful terrible wonderful masterful piece of cinema. WKW is the man. All the way home...

Did you see it again or did it just grow on you?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenanything
Quote from: bonanzatazHOLY FUCKING HELL!!!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

So gimme a break, I been busy...

Yeah, I saw it again, in the comfort of my own home, wide awake. Plus I needed the insight of an incredible romance that turned brutal... to clue me into Tony's mood. Cos at first I had trouble reconciling the sweet romantic in the first movie with the cold womaniser of the current one. Not that it's as cut and dry as that, but you get the point. There was a moment, a line, I can't remember now, but it was spot on, and I wouldn't have agreed with it unless I'd been through it.

Also, I think the print I saw was crap, cos I remember not liking the colors, but they looked great on dvd.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Rudie Obias

i just saw the film tonight.  i really loved it.  it makes me wanna watch DAYS OF BEING WILD, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE and 2046 in order.  to me though, i kinda felt the film should have been a lil' longer.  i feel that there was another love story there that WKW cut out.  to me, 3 hours would have been great.  it was also really good to see faye wong and tony leung on the screen together.  it made me feel very good to see them again.  

anyone read the articles on WKW in the latest cineaste or the last film comment magazines?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: rudiecorexxxit makes me wanna watch DAYS OF BEING WILD, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE and 2046 in order.

You just gave me a great idea!  Thanks!

Rudie Obias

Sony Pictures has announced the
acclaimed 2046 for release on December 27th. The film, starring the
beautiful Zhang Ziyi, arrives with a 2.40:1 anamorphic transfer, Cantonese Dolby
Digital 5.1 audio and English subtitles. Extras will include an audio commentary
with director Wong Kar-wai, deleted scenes, a making-of featurette, cast
interviews and photo galleries. Retail is going to be $24.96.

WKW audio commentary track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

pete

no chris doyle?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

So I saw this recently.  Was it kinda stupid for me to rent this?  coz I've never seen any of his films before and i dont know if this was the right introduction. 

Well I didn't love it, but I liked it enough that I want to In The Mood for Love.  And if I like that I'll see the rest of his movies.  I realize that the sci-fi aspect of this movie was directly related to the main themes, but it really took me out of the story.   I think the movie would've been better off cutting out the sci-fi section altogether.   there is already so much going on, and it moves so quickly through the different relationships that it becomes an unnecesary distraction.

But man, the visuals in this movie are so fucking strong that it carries the movie.  for example, i don't think they fleshed out the main character enough -- i never felt like i really got him, y'know?  But there are so many wonderful moments where the music and the visuals are used so well that i forgive alot of the shortcomings in the story and just like it for what it is.

3.25 out of 4

sidenote:  I'm kinda pissed that they used "the christmas song," especially the way they did, cause i always pictured using in it a similar moment for one of my movies. 

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGator on February 28, 2006, 09:32:22 PM
3.25 out of 4
sorry to pick on you, really, cos i think your heart's in the right place.. i just want to know: did you give a score cos you think it means something? or do you realise it is completely and utterly void of any significance whatsoever and you wrote it anyway?
under the paving stones.

JG

i know it's insignificant and pretty meaningless...it's just something i do.   it's a bad habit of mine to come up with a star rating after i've seen a movie.   

godardian

Quote from: JimmyGator on February 28, 2006, 09:32:22 PM

sidenote:  I'm kinda pissed that they used "the christmas song," especially the way they did, cause i always pictured using in it a similar moment for one of my movies. 

I experienced the exact same thing when I heard Brian Eno's great (and very cinematic) "By This River" in both Y Tu Mama Tambien and, more prominently and meaningfully, in Nanni Moretti's The Son's Room. Me: "Hey! That was my idea!"  :yabbse-sad:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.