cyberpunk

Started by jenkins, January 13, 2014, 01:28:39 PM

jenkins

my interest in this is getting juiced by the conversation. thanks everyone. going to try to watch morning patrol and colossus: the forbin project today

remembered wikipedia for futurlogy (sp) but not for cyberpunk. funnyish. wikipedia describes the essential components of cyberunk. it's a good overview of a particular type that i used for an enveloping conversation, which i'm glad we've drifted from and included. movies listed that i forgot/didn't know:

the terminal man (?)
burst city (?)
brainstorm (douglas trumbull movie that uses pov similar to strange days and enter the void)
overdrawn at the memory bank (?)
videodrome (yessss)
gunhed (?)
circuitry man (?)
hardware (?)
megaville (?)
964 pinocchio (?)
until the end of the world (?)
freejack (?)
split second (?)
nemesis (?)
cyborg 2 (?)
city of lost children (nice)
judge dredd/dredd (yesss)
omega doom (?)
fifth element (nice)
nirvana (?)
deathline (?)
webmaster (?)
andromedia (?)
pi (what)
new rose hotel (really like its title sequence)
the thirteenth floor (?)

i have many question marks for the remaining listed titles, i'm going to stop my question marks. familiar titles: equilibrium, paycheck, avatar. has anyone seen any of these question marks or any of the remaining titles? please recommend

felt like japan was being forgotten. not-mentioned anime titles wiki listed: akira, metropolis, paprika. and question marks i'd like to hear about. japan has a wiki for japanese cyberpunk, which mentions my personally-beloved tetsuo: the iron man, save the green planet, and question marks

tv has max headroom. max headroom needed to be mentioned. jb (etc) what do you know about:

QuoteThe X-Files: Two episodes of the series were written by William Gibson and contain cyberpunk themes.
Kill Switch (1998)
First Person Shooter (2000)

glad 2001 was mentioned, any conversation with a kubrick movie is likely to be a better conversation. now, i also quote helpful wiki statements and hope the conversation continues because i like this conversation so much

Quoteadvanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order
QuoteThe settings are usually post-industrial dystopias but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators ("the street finds its own uses for things")
Quote"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body." – Lawrence Person
QuoteIn some cyberpunk writing, much of the action takes place online, in cyberspace, blurring the border between actual and virtual reality. A typical trope in such work is a direct connection between the human brain and computer systems.
QuoteOf Japan's influence on the genre, William Gibson said, "Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk." Cyberpunk is often set in urbanized, artificial landscapes, and "city lights, receding" was used by Gibson as one of the genre's first metaphors for cyberspace and virtual reality
QuoteCyberpunk can be intended to disquiet readers and call them to action. It often expresses a sense of rebellion, suggesting that one could describe it as a type of culture revolution in science fiction
QuoteCyberpunk stories have also been seen as fictional forecasts of the evolution of the Internet.
QuoteWilliam Gibson with his novel Neuromancer (1984) is likely the most famous writer connected with the term cyberpunk. He emphasized style, a fascination with surfaces, and atmosphere over traditional science-fiction tropes
QuoteModern Japan simply was cyberpunk. The Japanese themselves knew it and delighted in it. I remember my first glimpse of Shibuya, when one of the young Tokyo journalists who had taken me there, his face drenched with the light of a thousand media-suns—all that towering, animated crawl of commercial information—said, "You see? You see? It is Blade Runner town." And it was. It so evidently was.

tl;dr: ugh! rude

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PM
the terminal man

Been wanting to see this, I like its aesthetic. Available from Warner Archive.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PMbrainstorm (douglas trumbull movie that uses pov similar to strange days and enter the void)

I like this movie. Pretty unique photographically. There's a part with Christopher Walken's son hallucinating that his father is trying to hurt him, which is one of the most intense, scariest scenes I can remember in any movie.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PMgunhed

Had this on a list of things to see forever, but never made the effort to seek it out. Probably isn't great, but might have cool practical effects?

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PMhardware

Skip this it sucks

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PM964 pinocchio

I saw this a long time ago and didn't like it. In the same vein as Tetsuo, sorta. I think they were even packaged together at one point.

Edit - was thinking of Rubber's Lover, by the same director

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PMuntil the end of the world

Wim Wenders' movie, almost listed this. It has such a vibe going, and a great soundtrack. There are multiple cuts of varying lengths. The 2 and a half hour version is available on iTunes, which I think is also its only official domestic release. There also exists a nearly 5 hour long Director's Cut, which I haven't seen.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PMfreejack

Skip it

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 15, 2014, 01:51:15 PMthe thirteenth floor

Pretty by-the-numbers but actually kind of fun.

QuoteThe X-Files: Two episodes of the series were written by William Gibson and contain cyberpunk themes.
Kill Switch (1998)

I remember that episode. It's not revelatory but worth seeing if you're into the genre.

jenkins

air guitar

(i'm air guitaring)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

A thread about cyberpunk should be a lot cooler than this.  This is just a collection of movie title names and trailers.

Any analysis of anything?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reel

Well, you didn't add anything. So you're personally making the thread even less cool.

jenkins

Quote from: ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ on January 23, 2014, 03:38:26 AM
A thread about cyberpunk should be a lot cooler than this.  This is just a collection of movie title names and trailers.

Any analysis of anything?

yeah. look up two posts. happy travels

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Congratulations on your patches and snippets of ideas.  There are some cool quotes in there, no doubt, but is it me or does this thread reek of mindless fanboying?  Like, cyberpunk is a unique genre because it can be widely applied and explored, but it's also quite narrow.  So to just start asking if movies qualify or not or just listing movies that could potentially belong to the list is just as much as a waste of posting, much less something to be in the News.  Then again, so is "Help Neil buy a TV."

Maybe I was expecting more because this thread was listed up there as some kind of hot discussion, when really, it's just a thread and I expected much more of it than it could deliver.  Nobody's fault here, just me projecting.  Let's just get back to the discussion at hand:

Cyberpunk is rad.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

jenkins

i feel like you haven't read this thread. i also feel like you're soul searching. please continue, and mention a computer movie if one springs to mind

Reel

jenkins

mhmm. it's funnyish, what computers do in movies

oh yeah, computer chess. duh. when i first saw computer chess there was a closing q&a between two professional nerds, i forget what they do, um i'm going to guess -- nvm i googled:  "media theorist/chess obsessive Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics) and computer programmer Maciej Ceglowski (Pinboard, Bedbug Registry)"

ceglowski was frustrated by computer chess and thought it made one or two bad moves, and he was most frustrated by COMPUTER CHESS SPOILER the part when the guy is asking his computer metaphysical questions, and they both (the man and the computer) become full of thought, and the scene ends with an embryo image on the computer's monitor. the pro nerd thought it was silly when in movies there has to become something human about computers. he wasn't having it. computers don't have a human side, they're computers

jenkins

is being played in march with director's appearance, excited:

jenkins

^been waiting for their home-made trailer and here it is:
http://vimeo.com/120101688

(trailer is so good)

jenkins

in the first post Her is mentioned. there are other recent ones i've been reminded about recently

Lucy
Transcendence
Blade Runner 2049
Ex Machina
Interstellar
Wall-E

putneyswipe

https://youtu.be/iHZi7Y81G58

I just finished watching this recently. An anime series from the 90s that I think might be the best piece of cyberpunk media (including text and visual mediums) I've ever seen. Over the past year I've acquainted  myself with the genre by watching a lot of the 90s classics, Strange Days, Existenz, New Rose Hotel, reading Gibson. This goes deeper and harder and weirder than almost any animation I've ever seen and convinced me that animation is probably the best way to do cyberpunk. What impressed me was it's grounding in character and in everyday tedium - something that isn't common for this medium. Every episode begins with similar shots, it utilizes very weird psychedelic montages. Over time the show builds a kind of droney cinematic ambience I've not seen in other animation, that I can compare only to something like Twin Peaks: The Return.

WorldForgot

Idec if it's tacky. Im plugging my SEL inspired music video https://youtu.be/Vm8Mcpa8Nrg