Recommendations for education in this field? (long)

Started by ProgWRX, March 21, 2003, 09:02:08 AM

ProgWRX

Hello there, I'm not sure if this is on the right forum, so any moderators feel free to move this post where you think it might fit better.  :)

Im a 23 year old film & TV enthusiast. Ever since I can remember, I've loved movies, I would watch those HBO behind the scenes specials and when DVD came about, I would be thrilled to check out every bit of the special features, just to inmerse myself into every detail of the film-making process I could get my hands on. Fast forward to my high school years, I always dismissed studying film/TV production as only a "dream" job, and not practical at all. So I kind of stopped pursuing this, although I kept watching movies and learning. When I graduated, I went to a local college that had the best rep for Communications, but my major(sp?) was going to be Advertising, because at the time it was more "practical".

After a dissapointing turn in school, I left and started working full time doing something completely different (Internet & IT). During those years, my love of movies kept growing and growing (I dont use the term film that much, because my interests werent all that much deeper than a typical  above average hollywood film). This kept on, I kept watching the Director's commentaries on my favorite movies, thinking of how this is basically a priviledge we have, its like having your favorite director give you a personal lecture about X or Y movie!  8)  And it also made me think of how badly I wanted to be part of the process, any part of the process!  And I decided that I wanted to be a part of that, screw being practical!

I realize that the chances of me becoming big in the industry are very slim to none. (my main interests are between directing or DP, as I do photography on the side as a hobby) but I just want to work to be a part of that process.

Anyways, enough about me and let me get to the point. Right now im going to school, with my major being Film/TV , but there is only so much I can do here locally, So I was wondering if some of you might advise me on where I can study the craft. Thing is, since all of this time I've been inmersed in a completely different world, I am not the typical film student that has directed a couple of personal projects that runs around with a mini-dv cam and stuff... so i think that kind of puts me at a dissadvantage as far as certain schools are concerned.

Id have to be somewhere that takes my raw desire of wanting to be a film-maker, and mold me and give me the tools to express everything that is in my heart and mind, into a viewable format.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to get some things written down about my "story" , I guess because I wanted you guys to see where I was coming from...

Advice?
:oops:
-Carlos

Ghostboy

Well, you can go to film school...or you can go the more affordable route and get as much hands on experience as you can. Work on your own projects, and at the same time volunteer on as many other films as you can. All levels of stuff, whatever you can get. You'd probably start out as a PA (at least on higher level projects), but you can always work your way up. You'll learn stuff, make contacts...it might not get you the same 'respect' that film students get, but you'll learn a lot more and if you're lucky you might even get paid for it.

Although, I'm not completely sure what the Puerto Rico film scene is like...

ProgWRX

the "scene" here is not very promising, so i was definately considering relocating...

and yes i would like to go thru both routes, formal education WHILE getting hands on experience by volunteering, but i was mainly trying to get feedback on what schools in the US and what not...
:)  :-D
-Carlos