XIXAX Film Forum

How do I "get in touch"?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ · 3 · 1533

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 5894
  • :boxing:
on: June 29, 2005, 12:32:20 AM
If I wanted to make a movie on a book or a play I found, who would I get in contact with?  How do I know who to get in touch with and what should I say to sound as professional as possible?

Same with if I wanted to use an artist's song in my movie.

Who should I contact for songs, books, stories or screenplays?  The publisher(s) or record label(s)?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye


  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 1671
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:42:33 AM
yes - in most cases the label and publisher own the licensing rights, not the artist.

obviously an independent label will be much more pleasent to deal with than a huge label/publisher. the latter is almost a waste of time if you have no money.
...your excuses are your own...


  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 3311
  • Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 08:48:33 AM
publisher owns the licenses... label owns the masters... in most cases

but the publisher is the one that licenses the material, for movies, comercials, etc... its usually a synchronization license or a performance license tht you need for that