Judging Your Own Work

Started by A Matter Of Chance, May 06, 2004, 05:20:04 PM

A Matter Of Chance

How confident do you guys feel about judging your own work? I never really know what to look for, sometimes I feel kind of afraid of saying something of mine is good anyway, I never really know.

How do you guys approach/judge your own work?

El Duderino

i always call it good. it's usually decent, but i always tell myself it's fantastic. self esteem thing...
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Tictacbk

I tend to always hate my own work and tend to rely on everyone else's opinion.  Even when i show it to someone else i'm usually pointing out all the flaws.  But i've realized that most of the flaws i point out are only evident to myself.  Every once in a while i'll love something i do...thats a good feeling.

BTW...both your avatars are awesome.

Sleuth

Just wait some time if you don't feel you can be subjective enough, but the thing is even if what you make sucks, and even if it was made to suck, do you feel protective of it anyway?  That's weird
I like to hug dogs

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: TictacbkI tend to always hate my own work and tend to rely on everyone else's opinion.  Even when i show it to someone else i'm usually pointing out all the flaws.  But i've realized that most of the flaws i point out or only evident to myself.  Every once in a while i'll love something i do...thats a good feeling.

BTW...both your avatars are awesome.

Hey TictacBK, does your name stand for TicTacBurgerKing? If so, it's a coincidence that two Burger King freaks have joined Xixax.com.

Tictacbk

Quote from: MrBurgerKing

Hey TictacBK, does your name stand for TicTacBurgerKing? If so, it's a coincidence that two Burger King freaks have joined Xixax.com.

Nope BK are my initials....but the spicy tendercrisp chicken does kick ass.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

My beginning work is embarassing (not the dialogue, but the formatting)  more and more, I improve on that, though.

I pride myself in being pretty good and (hopeflly) getting better.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Raikus

I'm usually confident about the work I put out but never make any conclusions about how good it is. I'm always receptive to feedback and usually incorporate the feedback that I get to complete my projects. If I feel strongly about something I've done (and this is mostly coming from my advertising job) I'll explain why I did it, the benefits of the design/writing/shot selection, and that I think it works for a certain reason. If others still don't like it then I'll compromise with their ideas.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Slick Shoes

I pretty much just assume that everything I do sucks.

Thrindle

Quote from: Slick ShoesI pretty much just assume that everything I do sucks.

Cheers!
Classic.

Ravi

Right after I'm done with it I don't have a good idea of whether it works, but after some time away from it I feel I am more objective.  I thought one of the first things I did was hilarious...until I showed it to a group of people.  Utter silence for the most of it.  After a few weeks I watched it and I knew what I did wrong.

Weak2ndAct

I never trust anyone who tells me that their shit is great.  They're usually proven wrong.

In my own work... there are lines that I champion, a scene or two that's a real home run... but everyday I wait for someone to come up, tap me on the shoulder, and call me out as a fraud.

MacGuffin

Quote from: El Duderinoi always call it good. it's usually decent, but i always tell myself it's fantastic. self esteem thing...

So you don't rewrite?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin

So you don't rewrite?

Forget that, I'll just make a copy...