HDR Video

Started by quigliest, September 29, 2010, 03:58:05 PM

quigliest

Any one seen this yet

Really amazing stuff. First kind of footage I've seen using HDR video, supposedly its been around in still photography for year. Interesting to see what way this will go when people really start experimenting. As far as i can tell Soviet montage are the first to use 2 parallel camera's shooting at the same time, using a beam splitter to eliminate the offset of the 2 images(still not sure exactly how this works, clearly).

"The company is currently shooting an unspecified project with their new technique, and says that one of the biggest advantages is that lighting is much less of an issue"

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/creepy-hdr-video-shot-with-two-dslrs/#ixzz10xBirPNu

matt35mm

I hadn't seen that yet, no.  Great find.  Quite interesting.  The footage of the guy looks quite creepy, though.  I wonder if he looks that dusty in real life.

I believe the beam splitting technique is not actually two parallel cameras, but two cameras pointed at different angles at a mirror.  The mirror is coated so that, at a certain angle, you can see straight through it, and at another angle, you see a reflection.  So one camera just is pointed right at what you want to film, and the other camera gets the reflected image.  It's precise enough so that there is no offset--it is effectively the same image.  It's like how in an SLR camera, when you look through the eyepiece, you're seeing a reflection of what the lens sees, but it's an accurate indication of what will be recorded onto film.

This is the exact same technique that is used in modern 3D cameras, although they can adjust the horizontal offset to create varying degrees of the 3D effect.  For the HDR photo/video, the offset is simply set to 0.

Thanks for posting this!

Welcome to XIXAX, by the way, and please introduce yourself here: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=2.810

polkablues

Interesting stuff, for sure.  I would love to see someone try it with three cameras (if that's even possible): underexposed, overexposed, and evenly exposed.  It would fill out the colors some more, and I think that would help avoid the weird cartoony look they got when they shot the person, and hopefully create something a little more akin to true HDR photography.  Regardless, we're probably only weeks away from someone making a music video like this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

That's really remarkable. It seems to reflect the range of the human eye. Between that and tilt shift filming, I'm anxious to see what other innovations people are coming up with.
WWPTAD?