Lunch with Lynch

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 05:32:53 PM

filmcritic

David Lynch is obviously a master of art and cinema. He's one of the best directors we have out there and personally I think his two best films are easily "Blue Velvet" and "Mulholland Drive". I remember back when he had a contest on his website called "Lunch with Lynch". I'm not exactly sure what the requirements were, but if you won you got to have a lunch with David Lynch at Bob's Big Boy (a burger joint that David Lynch loves). I guess someone out there won and sat down and talked with him. But what would you say or talk about if you had won?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Cecil

i thought about that and i cant really think of something id like to ask him. what i would like to do is follow him around for the day.

Ghostboy

I'm not sure what I'd say...I don't want to sound stuck up or anything, and I'd definitely jump at the chance if I won the contest, but if I had a choice, I'd rather meet people I admire in a more equalized setting, where we'd be peers. I wouldn't want to just be the 'lucky winner of a contest.'

budgie

Quote from: Ghostboyif I had a choice, I'd rather meet people I admire in a more equalized setting, where we'd be peers. I wouldn't want to just be the 'lucky winner of a contest.'

But if David Lynch doesn't see it that way (which I don't think he does/did), then why should you? Would you ever really feel like his peer as a filmmaker if you couldn't feel like his peer as a luncher?

I think not saying much would be the best. Just enjoying the event and watching him eat. Discussing the pleasure of eating sugary food and perhaps making art from the debris. And discussing our fellow diners and just how damn fine and weird everything is. Seeing who could stuff the most donut in their mouth.

Then I'd ask him to run a fork down my back.

MacGuffin

David Lynch's dining favorites
Source: Los Angeles Times

It's no secret that David Lynch loves Los Angeles.  But did you know the acclaimed director is not exactly fond of Santa Monica?  ("I like to stay away at all costs from Santa Monica," he says.)

Lynch is more of a fan of the Eastside lately; especially Silverlake and environs.  "I like to drive at night through Hollywood, Echo Park and Silver Lake because of the atmosphere and because the feeling of the Golden Age of Hollywood is still alive," he tells the Guide.

And what about Lynch's famed love affair with Mulholland Drive?  Fear not, children.  Mr. Lynch still likes to "drive on Mulholland Drive anytime, day or night."

Lynch may even hit Mulholland on his way to the Key Club July 16 to attend a fundraiser for his David Lynch Foundation.

Nico Vega, Gods & Monsters, 8mm and other bands will play the benefit, and items up for auction at the event include photographs from Lynch

Tickets for the event (at the Key Club on Sunset Blvd.) start at $15 and can be purchased here.

Before you hit the concert, you might want to consider eating at one of these spots below...you never know, the famed director/producer might just be dining at any one of these with a mysterious brunette, or two, in tow.

(As told to Charlie Amter)

1. Ago   West Hollywood
For great Italian food, especially any pasta dish—you can't go wrong.

2. Figaro Cafe   Los Feliz
For great dining and great atsmosphere.

3. Orso   Fairfax District
For great Italian food, especially thin-crust pizza, with great outdoor seating and beautiful trees.

4. Cliff's Edge   Silver Lake / Echo Park
For great food, especially the crab cakes and the walnut, apple and roquefort cheese salad.

5. Ammo   Hollywood
For excellent food and service, including pasta, chicken and salads.

6. Bob's Big Boy   Burbank
For great American food with the chance to see classic American cars. For breakfast, I like scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and hash browns; for dinner, I like a tuna melt or a BLT.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks