Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Started by MacGuffin, February 01, 2004, 11:48:07 AM

MacGuffin

Release Date: December 17th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Liam Aiken (Klaus Baudelaire), Emily Browning (Emily Baudelaire), Jim Carrey (Count Olaf), Jane Adams, Billy Connolly (Uncle Monty), Jennifer Coolidge, Craig Ferguson, Luis Guzman, Jamie Harris, Jude Law (Lemony Snicket), Timothy Spall (Mr. Poe), Meryl Streep (Aunt Josephine)

Director: Brad Silberling (Casper, City of Angels, Moonlight Mile)

Screenwriter: Daniel Hadler (Kill the Poor); rewrite by Robert Gordon (Addicted to Love; cowriter of Men in Black II, Galaxy Quest)

Premise: This is the story of the Bauedelaires, three young orphans, Violet (Browning), Klaus (Aiken) and Sunny, looking for a new home, who are taken in by a series of odd relatives and other people, including Lemony Snicket, who narrates the film, and starting with the cunning and dastardly Count Olaf (Carrey), who hopes to snatch their inheritance from them. Violet is the oldest of the Baudelaires at 14, and is their brave and fast-thinking leader. The only boy is middle child Klaus, 12, who is intensely intelligent and obsessed with words. The youngest is infant Sunny, who speaks in a language only her siblings can understand, and she has a tendency to... bite.

Based Upon: The "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" series of nine children's books written by Daniel Hadler under the pseudonym of "Lemony Snicket." Specificaly, this movie will be mostly based upon the first few books in the series. Nickelodeon first bought the rights to the franchise in May, 2000, four months before WB started filming of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Paramount is hoping this will be the first of a series of films based on the books.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

Wow, that poster is really cool. I really liked Moonlight Mile and I've been waiting to see what Silberling does next. He intrigues me because I think he has the potential for a lot of range in his career. Casper and MM couldn't be much further apart, and this just seems like another leap in another direction. Perhaps even Burtonesque?

Also, I think this is way up there with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the best title award in 2004.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

man he looks creppy... thats so cool... i want to see this movie!

SiliasRuby

I've heard a hellofalot about about this movie and am really looking forward to it and the new pics look great
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

edison

Awesome set, love the pose in the second pic.

Raikus

My wife has the series of books and really enjoyed them. Of course she really enjoyed those Harry Potter novels to and you know how those movies turned out.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaikusOf course she really enjoyed those Harry Potter novels to and you know how those movies turned out.
good?
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Man those pics...somebody's been watching Burton films lately...positive. Looks great.

Raikus

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: RaikusOf course she really enjoyed those Harry Potter novels to and you know how those movies turned out.
good?
yup
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: Pubrick
good?
yup
Never heard of 'em.

Ghostboy

I read the first half of the first book in a bookstore one day, and it was quite good. Like Roald Dahl by way of Charles Dickens. Brad Silberling wanted to do Harry Potter soooo badly, so I guess this is sort of a consolation prize. I like his style. I hope Jim Carrey's performance is purely diaoblical and not campily villainous.

El Duderino

i read the books in 6th or 7th grade, from what i remember, they were pretty good.

and Withnail says it all:

QuoteMan those pics...somebody's been watching Burton films lately...positive
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Quote from: El Duderinoand Withnail says it all:

QuoteMan those pics...somebody's been watching Burton films lately...positive

Same production designer from Planet/Apes and Sleepy Hollow - Rick Heinrichs. He also worked on Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands. Also, frequent Burton costume collaborator, Collen Atwood, did the wardrobe.

And, on a side note, Dylan Tichenor is editing the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks