Coolest cigarette smoking in a movie

Started by ShanghaiOrange, August 11, 2003, 08:41:46 PM

Newtron

Pwaybloe

Find Your Magali

Attorneys general call on film industry to reduce smoking in movies

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attorneys general from 24 states are asking the film industry to reduce the amount of smoking in films to prevent teens from taking up the habit.
   In a letter Tuesday, the attorneys cited a June study from Dartmouth Medical School that said children who watch movies in which actors smoke heavily are three times more likely to smoke themselves than those exposed to less smoking on-screen.
   The letter to Motion Picture Association of America President Jack Valenti did not offer any specific steps.
   "We're not saying any law has been broken," said Tom Dresslar, a spokesman for California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, one of the officials who signed the letter. "We're just asking out of a concern for the health of our kids that the industry do what it can to ensure that kids don't start smoking."
   MPAA spokesman Rich Taylor said Valenti had received the letter and would respond appropriately.
   "Smoking is, if you'll recall, a legal activity," he said when asked what the MPAA was currently doing to reduce teen smoking. "That being said, he'll be reading carefully the letter and the study it references."
   Brendan McCormick, a spokesman for Philip Morris USA, said the major tobacco companies agreed in the nationwide settlement signed in 1998 not to pay for product placement or to grant permission to films that want to feature their cigarettes. He declined to comment on the letter.
   The Dartmouth study involved 2,603 children who were between 10 and 14 at the start of the study in 1999 and had never smoked when they were recruited. They were asked at the beginning of the study which movies they had seen from a list of 50 movies released between 1988 and 1999.
   Investigators counted the number of times smoking was depicted and determined how many smoking incidents each of the adolescents had seen. Exposure was categorized into four groups, with the lowest level involving between zero and 531 occurrences of smoking and the highest involving between 1,665 and 5,308 incidents.
   Twenty-two of those exposed to the least on-screen smoking took up the habit, compared with 107 in the highest exposure group, a fivefold difference. However, after taking into account factors known to be linked with starting smoking, such as rebelliousness, the effect was reduced to a threefold difference.
   The letter was signed by the attorneys general of Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia, as well as the Northern Mariana Islands.

Banky

rustinglass

buscapé in city of god, puffing a chick's phone number

that guy with the plane in 1941, chewing on a cigar
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

NEON MERCURY

cine

Alethia

dufresne

There are shadows in life, baby.

samuelclemens

well,
no one probably cares about this thread anymore, but i'm new, so i'd have to say any french actress smoking is cool for some reason.  example, my life to live, anna karina smoking over dude's shoulder as they hug.  actually, it might be on the cover.
Stupid babies need the most attention!

Weak2ndAct

Vivre Se Vie is my top ten of all time.  It's a tremendous film, and a great smoker's film as well.

Though I must admit, Tarantino is a terrific propogandist for smoking.  Well, expect for Kill Bill.  Madsen tossing away the cigarette before taping up Nash is one of my favorite cig moments.

samuelclemens

yeah, like in reservoir dogs, the slo mo shot of the guys all walking together near the beginning; i believe at least one or two were smoking.  and if not, it would have been cool if they were.
Stupid babies need the most attention!

How bout in "Grease 2" where the principal comes up behind the student who is smoking and he does this cool thing where he flips the cigarette into his mouth to conceal it.

Spike

- Kevin Spacey in "American Beauty"
When he lits the joint in the garage. Very cool.

- Helena Bonham Carter in "Fight Club"
The introduction of her character kicks fucking ass!

- Some women whose name I don't know in "Detroit Rock City"
In Simple Simons office, there's a women which obviously assists him. She wears sunglasses and does one of the best smoking jobs in film history, IMO. I think she was Adam Rifkin's directing assistant.

- Bill Pullman in "Lost Highway"
The very first scene after the beginning credits kicks ass.

- Gwyneth Paltrow in "The Royal Tenenbaums"
Very, very professional smoking.

- Ralf Richter in "Bang Boom Bang"
I know, I know, nobody knows that little German gem, but it really rocks and the way one guy (Ralf Richter) smokes in this, is fucking hilarious!

By the way: I like the way PTA smokes. Really cool.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

molly

I think women in general smoke cooler than men in movies