Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Started by Duck Sauce, January 25, 2003, 02:40:35 AM

Redlum

Clooney did some really neat stuff. The conception of the dating game, set revolve was excellent. Definately not trying to be Soderburgh, it was Mike Nichols all over and so what? He's done some of the best cuts and transitions in movie history Clooney ripped him off but did some new stuff too. Maybe the high contrast and under saturated film finish was a bit of 'style for styles sake' but most of the other stuff was just fun. I couldn't get "If I had a Hammer" out of my head for a long time, though.

If Clooney can help get movies like this made then I'm very thankful. The adaptation was excellent although to be honest I'd have preferred "actual" ending without the coffee trick.

Quoteand i kinda think that if this was done by an unknown first time director it would get a little bit more recognition
Tis true.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: 82
Quote from: SoNowThenWell, it's no secret here that I despise BJM and Adaptation, so it was a surprise to me that I enjoyed this flick so much. Eternal Sunshine looks great as well...

Ahhhh.. Thats why I couldn't remember anything you have posted on here before...  You despise amazing scripts.
Amazing scripts don't fall apart in the third act.  Just saying.

Which are you refering to?  Start a new thread like "(Insert Movie): How it falls apart in the third act"  and link it out of here considering this is a Confessions thread
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

SoNowThen

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: 82
Quote from: SoNowThenWell, it's no secret here that I despise BJM and Adaptation, so it was a surprise to me that I enjoyed this flick so much. Eternal Sunshine looks great as well...

Ahhhh.. Thats why I couldn't remember anything you have posted on here before...  You despise amazing scripts.
Amazing scripts don't fall apart in the third act.  Just saying.

Ono knows what it's all about!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kassius

I'm jumping on this topic really late, but I just saw "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" for the first time.  I kept wanting to see it because of Charlie Kaufman but kept holding because it was directed by George Clooney, who I really had nothing to go on with and wasn't sure how he would fair.

I must say... I'm impressed.  This movie was done extremely well...

I loved watching the "Behind the Scenes" features and watching Clooney work.  I was mighty impressed with that one sequence where Chuck is standing in front of the mirror, talking to Penny in the bathtub and she helps spark an idea ("The Dating Game"), which at that split second... they roll him into a new set, the board room, where he's introducing his concept to CBS. No computer tricks, no anything... just great work. I thought that was truely unique.  Not to forget the scene where Sam Rockwell changed outfits in his trip to The Rockefeller Plaza. It was all filmed at once.  George really impressed me.

As far as the cast... everybody did a great job including Drew Barrymore, who often annoys me for some reason.  I don't know, I know a lot of people love her and she's cute but there is something about her, maybe it's her voice... but I find it annoying at times.  It worked here.

private witt

well, like, fuck yeah.  I was just gonna say that.  when will someone utilize beth orton like aimee mann?  haunting much...?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

cine

Quote from: private wittwell, like, fuck yeah.  I was just gonna say that.
well, like, fuck yeah, you were a year late.

private witt

film lives forever.  so will this thread.  "give my creation life!....LLLLLIIIIIFFFFFEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

MacGuffin

Quote from: private wittfilm lives forever.  so will this thread.
Or at least until March 18th, 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

lol

I'm seeing that guy in every thread... who is he? like we didnt have enough stupid posts already

cine

Quote from: andykI'm seeing that guy in every thread... who is he? like we didnt have enough stupid posts already
Um..

..forget it, it's not worth it.

Kal

I stayed online just waiting for you to say something :)

cine

Oh isn't that nice of you. Yeah, you waiting for me to say something shows that at least you were aware of the irony of your post.

Kal

no... I just know everytime I post that you're ready to say something!

cine

Quote from: andykno... I just know everytime I post that you're ready to say something!
here, let me pubrick this for you really quick:

--------------------quality----------------------

-------------------private witt-------------------

----------------------you-----------------------

meatball