Can someone give me some hope for the 2003 films?

Started by EL__SCORCHO, June 04, 2003, 03:28:45 PM

EL__SCORCHO

Ok, I know that for the first 5 months studios release their crappy movies, and now in the summer we'll get the big summer blockbusters. But I was wondering, what can I expect in the fall? Not including "Kill Bill", I have no idea who's going to be releasing a movie I really want to see. Can anyone give me a list of films that are supposed to be any good for this year. I think 2003 has been pretty shitty so far.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

All The Real Girls was top.

I thought The Good Thief was a nice remake. Brown Bunny will hopefully be better than the reviews it's got so far. That's all I got.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

JUNE
20th  The Hulk
27th  Charlies Angels: Full Throttle
27th  28 Days Later

JULY
2nd    Terminator 3: The Rise Of The Machines  
2nd    Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas
9th     Pirates Of The Carribean: Curse Of The Black Pearl
11th   The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman
18th   Bad Boys 2
23rd   Spy Kids 3D: Game Over

AUGUST
8th      Matchstick Men
15th    Freddy vs. Jason

SEPTEMBER
12th   Once Upon A Time In Mexico

OCTOBER
10th    Kill Bill
10th    Intolerable Cruelty  
24th    Bad Santa                          

NOVEMBER
7th      The Matrix Revolutions
14th    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
21st    The Cat In The Hat
TBA     Brother Bear

DECEMBER
5th     The Last Samurai
17th    The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King    
25th    Cold Mountain  
25th    The Company (NY/LA)

some of the release dates may have changed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

looks like a pretty good year to me. July and August look pretty lame though.

#1 for me is a tie between Matrix and Return of the King.

the rest, yea they look good. these hulk tv spots i've been seeing r looking very badass. im pumped. and i'm definitely seeing charlie's angels 2. demi moore is HOT.[/b]

ono

Well, I'm really looking forward to movies once October gets here.  In October, we have Kill Bill and two films the Coen Brothers are involved in: Intolerable Cruelty, and Bad Santa.

In November, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should be great, as Kaufman is a brilliant screenwriter (let's just hope he's got that third act syndrome cured).

And in December, all the best stuff comes out.  Tom Cruise is in the The Last Samurai, which is supposedly an Oscar-worthy role.  But you know how that kind of talk goes.  I'm really looking forward to seeing an Altman film in theaters again, so The Company is exciting, though it probably won't hit all theaters until after the new year.

Just browsing the IMDb's Now Showing and Coming Soon sections, you can get a feel for what's coming up, although casting and plotlines can only lead you so far.  Oftentimes, the most understated pictures can be the most interesting, but sometimes they're just boring.  As the year goes by we'll of course have more information, but this is enough for starters, for me anyway.

godardian

That Denys Arcand film they're talking about at Cannes.

Matthew Barney's Cremaster cycle.

Lynne Ramsay's Morvern Callar didn't hit Seattle 'til 2003, though technically it was 2002.

Dogville.

Much of All the Real Girls was remarkable, though I had a mixed reaction overall.

There are always bright spots. [/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Oh, and Clint Eastwood's Mystic River.  I can't believe I forgot about that one.  From the cast, the story, and Ebert's comments, it seems like it'll be one of the best offerings of the year.

I wonder, though, about von Trier's Dogville.  I just hope we'll get to see it in the US.  Though those things usually get overlooked, unless you're lucky enough to live by an art house.

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaOh, and Clint Eastwood's Mystic River.  I can't believe I forgot about that one.  From the cast, the story, and Ebert's comments, it seems like it'll be one of the best offerings of the year.

I wonder, though, about von Trier's Dogville.  I just hope we'll get to see it in the US.  Though those things usually get overlooked, unless you're lucky enough to live by an art house.

I suppose that's true. I make it a point not to live anywhere without an at least somewhat convenient art/foreign cinema. Seattle is full of them, and Portland had a beautiful 10-plex devoted pretty exlusively to more art/foreign fare.

There's no doubt we'll be seeing it in the US, though. Dancer in the Dark and Breaking the Waves both played for a long time in my town, and got quite a push from the film company too, as I recall.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Rudie Obias

SPY KIDS 3: GAME OVER - robert rodriguez
LOST IN TRANSLATION - sofia coppola
KILL BILL - quentin tarantino
LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING - peter jackson
2046 - wong kar-wai
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS - the wachowski brothers
THE SCHOOL OF ROCK - richard linklater
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

godardian

Quote from: rudieob

Hooray!

Likely a fall or Christmas release, I would think...? MacGuffin?

Gold Trumpet

City of God is really one of the best films I've ever seen and Finding Nemo seemed like a return for Hollywood to top form in how more imaginative and creative it can be when it is focused. Its kinda silly to start naming movies that everyone thinks will be great and all because they never seem to blossom that way with end opinions. I think this will be a great year and general word of opinion is that Sundance had one of its strongest years in a while and there are many anticipated works still coming up in the fall. Overall, I think this will be an excellent year because indie filmmaking is taking a new precedence in focus in showing new filmmakers instead of the established names.

~rougerum

modage

loved city of god and finding nemo.  two of my favorites for this year, thus far.  does anybody have the new date for SCHOOL OF ROCK. i thought it was this summer but think it may have been pushed back.  also LOST IN TRANSLATION is there a tenative date for this?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: rudieob

Hooray!

Likely a fall or Christmas release, I would think...? MacGuffin?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1231
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Vapor

Neil LaBute has just started on this film, due out sometime in 2004 (yeah, I know it's not 2003, but it could be January, which is close enough).  From what I've read of all his other work, it seems to be very unique, to say the least.  The Shape of Things is playing right now, and it seems a bit campy to me, but still, who knows what trailers do to a film to distort it.  In the Company of Men and Your Friends & Neighbors both received critical acclaim, and from their descriptions, I can only imagine they're great work.  But right now, I'm on the outside looking in as I haven't gotten a chance to see any of his work yet.  Still, they're on the top of my must see list.